Sign in to follow this  
Slavvy

e36 > e46 brakes

Hey guys, I've got a mate at work with an e36 coupe. He's discovered that e46 rotors are identical dimensionally but larger diameter, and now he wants to know if e46 calipers would bolt directly onto an e36. I don't know anything about 3 serieseses so I thought I'd ask here :D

Yes!!!

For really big discs use the 330s.

I think you need the carrier too.

Do it for looks. Massive increase in unsprung weight tho. You will need carriers, calipers and discs. :)

IMO, don't bother. Get better tyres, pads and change in brake fluid.

Hey guys, I've got a mate at work with an e36 coupe. He's discovered that e46 rotors are identical dimensionally but larger diameter, and now he wants to know if e46 calipers would bolt directly onto an e36. I don't know anything about 3 serieseses so I thought I'd ask here :D

I believe you need the e46 carriers and the rest should just bolt up. They are all different sizes actually across the range, so it depends which model he has now, but for example an e36 328i can go up to E46 328i specs with just the e46 carriers and rotors.

z3's have the same rotors as an e46(not including 330). everything on the z3 is the same as on the e36 apart from the carrier.

e46 callipers(not including 330) are the same as e36 callipers.

But i would have to agree with lidistick, not worth it but would look good

I also looked at doing it as well...not worth it realy. The 328 brakes on the front of the Ti work fine and dont give a problem at all.. and I'm just running the standard Ti rear rotors and pads. All I've done in the front is use Brembo slotted rotors with genuine pads