Sign in to follow this  
ssbmw

This has got to be NZ's only 3.8 M5

Many years ago Gerry Hodges told me that there was a blue 3.8 5-speed E34 M5 in Auckland. From what I gathered, it was the only NZN 3.8 E34 M5 in the country ( NZ not getting the latter 6-speed variants). I tried to track it down, but no one knew where this car was located.

Well it has re-surfaced and it is for sale in Wanganui.

Does that look like Avus blue to you guys?

Pretty rare car and has got to be worth a little more than some of the 3.6's that have been for sale recently (if it is good nick) due to the rarity factor. Mileage is a little high but is actually about average compared to the other E34 M5's around the country.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-270420860.htm

I am sure this will go to a good home.

One of 204 5-speed 3.8's in RHD global, and the only NZN example.

Many years ago Gerry Hodges told me that there was a blue 3.8 5-speed E34 M5 in Auckland. From what I gathered, it was the only NZN 3.8 E34 M5 in the country ( NZ not getting the latter 6-speed variants). I tried to track it down, but no one knew where this car was located.

Well it has re-surfaced and it is for sale in Wanganui.

Does that look like Avus blue to you guys?

Pretty rare car and has got to be worth a little more than some of the 3.6's that have been for sale recently (if it is good nick) due to the rarity factor. Mileage is a little high but is actually about average compared to the other E34 M5's around the country.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-270420860.htm

I am sure this will go to a good home.

One of 204 5-speed 3.8's in RHD global, and the only NZN example.

enlarge pic 9 and see if you can see the colour,Is it really a 5 spd?

Very nice. Too bad it is not a 1993, with the wider kidney grille.

glad its not :rolleyes:

I tried, but can't quite see. Looks like Avus on my computer screen. Non-electric seats?????? Never seen that on a E34 M5 before.

Just scoped Carjam and it states that it is a 3800cc engine.

SSSSSHHHHH <_<

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Go on Brent.. get it for Suzanne to cart the kids round and go shopping in :)

Guest Simon*

I tried, but can't quite see. Looks like Avus on my computer screen. Non-electric seats?????? Never seen that on a E34 M5 before.

I've seen non-electric ones. Weight saving factor perhaps?

Just scoped Carjam and it states that it is a 3800cc engine.

I never believe everything carjam says ;)

I had previously thought that the S38B38 powered cars only came out in '93 and with wide kidneys and six-speed box. That car pictured is only 5 speed from peering at the gearknob.

Would pay to check with owner - a non-enthusiast could easily make the mistake.

I've seen non-electric ones. Weight saving factor perhaps?

yes much lighter also the 5spd is a lighter gearbox than the 6spd

I never believe everything carjam says ;)

I had previously thought that the S38B38 powered cars only came out in '93 and with wide kidneys and six-speed box. That car pictured is only 5 speed from peering at the gearknob.

Would pay to check with owner - a non-enthusiast could easily make the mistake.

yes its a 3.8L notice it has no dizzy cap (just coils on top of the spark plugs)

they started the 3.8l in late 1991 . was facelifted in 93 with 6spd and big grills

Guest Ari Gold

Perfect spec 3.8 - the right colour, the right interior, the right kidneys and the right wheels.

Looks like the paint and interior could do with some love, is it really worth (at the moment) 7K more than Graeme's mint white 3.6?

was used in some club circuit days and hill climbs etc as you would :)

My perfect car- pre-facelift M5 in Avus Blue with throwing stars... [checks pockets for the $20k he reckons he'll need for it]

Currently at $17k... isn't the leading bidder a guy on here? Was selling a damaged manual 535 a few years back?

Edited by Sick Puppy

My perfect car- pre-facelift M5 in Avus Blue with throwing stars... [checks pockets for the $20k he reckons he'll need for it]

Currently at $17k... isn't the leading bidder a guy on here? Was selling a damaged manual 535 a few years back?

Yes,

Just contemplating if I'm prepared to spend the //M $ on maintenance and //M $ on parts to do this justice.........

I've currently got an 1998 E36 328i manual 4 door with all the options ticked, SA import.

I miss the E34 and this would do nicely as a step back into one.

Yes,

Just contemplating if I'm prepared to spend the //M $ on maintenance and //M $ on parts to do this justice.........

I've currently got an 1998 E36 328i manual 4 door with all the options ticked, SA import.

I miss the E34 and this would do nicely as a step back into one.

l

Hi there,

I think this would be a good buy based on the rarity factor, but that's just me. I have a very close friend who has a immaculate 3.6. If you are interested, I can give you his details to get a idea of running costs.

BTW- Bruce Miller, fellow member here and ex owner of a mint NZN 3.6 tells me that he has been informed by a Swede with a international register that there are 2-3 ex UK 3.8's in NZ as well. We are near certain however that this is the solitary NZN 3.8 in the country.

:blink:

250kw & 400nm out of a near 20 old engine is just amazing, & being a 6 cyclinder is even more WOW!

Edited by Clinton

l

Hi there,

I think this would be a good buy based on the rarity factor, but that's just me. I have a very close friend who has a immaculate 3.6. If you are interested, I can give you his details to get a idea of running costs.

BTW- Bruce Miller, fellow member here and ex owner of a mint NZN 3.6 tells me that he has been informed by a Swede with a international register that there are 2-3 ex UK 3.8's in NZ as well. We are near certain however that this is the solitary NZN 3.8 in the country.

Sanjay is right - this is the only NZN 3.8 here. It is an early one with the five speed box. Check out admin@e34m5.se for the good oil on the e34M5