Sign in to follow this  
sp8s

My rights

And that is the best thing you can do. If you do unto others, you have ownership of all parts until you are paid, if you want to reposes an air filter is up to you.

A gearbox or head may be a different story, it is common practice that if you know you are having difficulties and the customer will demand his car back and not pay, disarm it take the rotor out etc, block the way, stand your ground.

Best avoided at all costs, and I hope no-one has to go through it, I have some workshop customers who have though, some horific stories.

Comes down to clientele as well....

In fact there was a thing on Campbell Live or Closeup or something today about this aparently. heard it advertised on the radio but i didnt finish work in time. If you hold onto the car (or chattel if not a mechanic) and continue to be unpaid, can you sell the car to get payment or what?

Ive taken my car to the mechanics a few times when i simply havent had the time to fix it (i DD my car for school/work so cant afford to have it off the road unexpectedly for more than a day or so) and one place charged me extra on top of the quote and i thought that was a little unfair. they knew before they started the job two as i was quoted wrong on the part not the labour. Another time the job ended up being almost twice the quote, but i was charged the quoted price. Would happily name the place if i could remember the name, i think it was Hutt City European? near Hirepool/Lollypops etc on a side street next to the railway. would definately go back there if i need work done again

The question you have to ask yourself is do you go the extra mile and virtually gaurentee business in the future, or do you do the short term thing and find yourself out of a job.

Some very interesting comments there guys.

Appreciate the help/words of wisdom received.

My parting comment to the owner was "you will never see my car or me in here again" He just shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

They have missed out on the electrical work when I do my engine conversion and the new stereo I was looking at getting. Such is life.

God I hope the car doesn't break down again with the same problem :lol: AND I hope that petrol smell was because I had just put gas in.

Sometimes I really wish I still lived in Auckland. Would be on Glenn's doorstep everyday until I had a tutu with his Kompakt.

My inlaws own a large testing station & workshop here in Dunedin & their policy is COD unless prior arrangement (they might let some pay it off if they are a regular customer) If this wasn't the case they'd be chasing up thousands literally & no business has the time to do this & in some cases the money to.

At my workshop we are strictly COD unless it's a reputable business we're dealing with or I know the customer. If they don't like that then they can use someone else because I'm just not prepared to be chasing people months down the track which is what will eventually happen. These terms are stated on my jobsheet & clearly displayed in my shop.

You don't drive away from the petrol station and then pay a few weeks later, so why with anything else?

I wish this was the case in many other service industries. With mosts service-oriented businesses, people all expect to be billed and pay the following. It's a bit hard to hold onto someone's house, or remove all the wire and pipes if they don't pay (although I know of tradesmen who have gone and taken some of the easy to remove and valuable fittings off when they haven't been paid).

Sorry Doug... I can. I will , however I've never had to go to the extreme... but I would on principle... The police will not act unless you have committed a crime. If I work and observe proper practices.. I expect to be paid... and I will be paid for what I do... I defend that right

That seems completely reasonable. I'd do the same. If you explain to someone what is being done, how long it's going to take and what it's going to cost, and they agree to that, then why the hell should they be able to change their mind and demand the car be released.