Sign in to follow this  
bali_nz

E34 M20B25

My car decided to transfer it's trans fluid into the radiator, it chose to do it up the coromandel,4 hours from home, just to make my life more interesting. I understand the pipe holding the trans fluid in the rad is no longer intact, and a new radiator is neccessary. What I need to know is, will this be the end of the prob. Have been told that it is more than likely that the trans was probably the source of the prob, and that some part of it is likely at fault, causing too much pressure through the cooling system. I've got no problem putting in a new radiator, but a new trans, and radiator on a 21 year old car is getting very close to no longer viable. Any advice would be appreciated.post-3380-1266085257.jpg

Edited by bali_nz

You might want to resize your pic to 800x600 or smaller or else one of the mods will delete it

Your best bet is probably to get a second hand radiator from someone like Ray @ hellbm.

Edited by Jamez

You might want to resize your pic to 800x600 or smaller or else one of the mods will delete it

Your best bet is probably to get a second hand radiator from someone like Ray @ hellbm.

Pic resized, cheers

Pic resized, cheers

i would also be very keen to ascertain that the radiator hasnt transferred it s fluid to the trans....NICE looking car mate.

You could do a manual swap... it's just an M20 after all <.<

i would also be very keen to ascertain that the radiator hasnt transferred it s fluid to the trans....NICE looking car mate.

Looks as if a little coolant got in the trans, probably even a lot seeing as it's just sitting there now.

Will a decent flush sort this, bought plenty of ATF when considering limping it home, before finding that the fluid was in the radiator.

Another query?

If I get the work done, how's the cooling system ie water pump etc, gonna like the fact that it's had trans fluid running through it. Am I gonna have to replace any of that, or take any particular precautions?

water/coolant will stuff a trans in a very short time ,it disolves the glue that holds the clutch friction matterial on to the clutch plates.

trans oil in the coolant system wont matter .

trans oil in the coolant system wont matter .

Yes It will Brent.. it will perish the hoses, water pump seal and header tank seals on the radiator & heater matrix. We have a special flushing fluid for getting it out. I have the info at work & the name of the supplier. We use it all the time on Audi's when the engine oil coolers crap out.