Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Home Theater

This is completely off topic, but we've got this rather crap Panasonic 5 DVD 5.1 system which is probably worth about the same as a knob of goat sh*t to be fair. Basically, I'm wanting to replace the system I currently have. I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who has a good knowledge on the subject. I don't need blueray, I play all my movie s from my PC (10meter DVI cable with sound e.t.c) Basically what I want is better sound, I want clear clean deep deep bass & crystal clear sound. I have an account with Noel Leeming & I get awesome discounts.

See what you think from here: Noel Leeming Home Theater

those are just mainstream brands.. if you want the real high end, go for the likes of Polk audio, wharfdale surround system and other brands. although prices will be quite high. depends on your budget and how much you are willing to stretch that budget.

we've got polk 7.1 surround speakers dowstairs powered by yamaha 7.1 amp. and 7.1 wharfdale surround speakers up in the lounge powered by pioneer amp.

took us 3 weeks the find the speakers we liked and damn does it sound nice :D bass sounds solid, mid and high soudns awesome aswell as the surround :D even on high volume . clarity is so mint i can see it !!

edit: oh the polk speaker set cost us just under 6k with a lot of haggling and hook ups.

Edited by Docile

Yeah I might go to about $2000 but that's pretty much it. I understand you get what you pay for but 6 slides is getting a bit out of hand for us. Cheers :)

can't really tell you what to get. you need to sit in and listen to the system working. everyone has their own preference. no. of speakers dont really matter. its the clarity of the sound that comes out. try the wharfdale package. from memory the 2kish package was not bad at all.

in the store demo room try and bring your cd, or if they have it set up in the AV room bring a dvd movie with alot of surround sound use.

I'm going through the same process right now Clinton, but mine includes a new TV and a PS3 (for blueray) in the mix. My preliminary costings have me at around $5k with a margin for over-run, $6k would get me what I want, but as with you it's getting up there for home theatre.

I'm looking at speakers at around $1,500-2k and an AV receiver/amp for around $800-$1k. The remaining $2+k is for TV and PS3 and cables.

So if you looked at similar stuff to me, then you could slip insode your $2k budget with a basic set of wharfdales (or similar) and a decent specced, entry level AVR from a good brand like Yamaha or Denon or similar.

Should be more than you need, will be a similar setup to the Sony one posted above, but hopefully by buying from a discount Hi-fi store, putting the package together yourself, and not gettting a trashy cabinet with it you should get better bang for buck.

Here's a thread I started over at nzicemag.co.nz forums that is full of good advice over speaker and AVR selection from the members there.

Some Noel Leaming stores stock the new Whalfedale/Pioneer pack, All stores have access to it

Its call the CRYSTAL519HCPPACK. New Pioneer receiver +Wharfedale speaker pack+ speaker wire + sub lead + cabinet. So it comes with everything you need really

RRP is $1899 but if you have a Noels acc you should get a better deal than that, its an awesome pack for its money if you dont want to spend a shitload but want quality sound. Comes with a 3yr warranty

Riley

A couple of points to bear in mind before you get too far into it all.... firstly how big is the room that you want to put the gear in? The all-in-one box amp, sub and small speakers packages are just about Ok in small rooms but any decent size and you will need more power and bigger speakers to fill the room with sound. Second point, how good is the sound card in your PC, if you get a decent set up for the surround, it will show up any problems with the card, not forgetting you would need a digital output to be decoded for proper 5.1 surround.

Personally I would vouch for the comment above, go for an entry level amp from a good brand, Yamaha or Denon are the best in HT, with a reasonable speaker package and good thickness speaker cables.

dont buy any of those all in one type systems they are all cr$* . truts me 20 years in the industry .

but a decent home theatre reciever onkyo , denon , sony , pioneer etc etc then get some speakers that are made by a speaker maker not a electronics maker like audiopro , wharfdale ,mission , polk audio ,

even though you might get good discounts form a store you might still get better value from TM etc

like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photo...n-273335166.htm

http://www.audiopro.com/?id=160&id_category=1

I remeber recently someone did a test on the cables, the more expensive ones absolutely made no difference to the cheaper ones they were exactly the same my 2C.

I remeber recently someone did a test on the cables, the more expensive ones absolutely made no difference to the cheaper ones they were exactly the same my 2C.

That is probably comparing the inter-connect cables, HDMI, DVI, types. Speaker cables run over much longer distances, especially with a home theatre install (I used 3 x 50m drums of cable on mine) and the effect of the cable quality is much greater.

dont buy any of those all in one type systems they are all cr$* . truts me 20 years in the industry .

but a decent home theatre reciever onkyo , denon , sony , pioneer etc etc then get some speakers that are made by a speaker maker not a electronics maker like audiopro , wharfdale ,mission , polk audio ,

even though you might get good discounts form a store you might still get better value from TM etc

like this

Never thought of doing the 2nd hand thing, might be able to pickup a decent unit & by sticking with those brands you mentioned I should be right?

like this

Yep agree - don't go on package all in one deals.

Above receivers options inc Yamaha.

Speakers - as above but although I have a soft spot for Wharfedale - I have not seen quality in build (or heard for that matter) in their later speakers - particually lower end variants.

We have B&W units for home theatre, upright shelf style with the two fronts mounted on their stands & centre sitting flat, + active sub via Pioneer amp.

These units produce very tight crisp sound & will absolutely blitz any " out of box" package deal