Sign in to follow this  
Venatus

Couple of things

Ok, anyone know of a good way to get stripped bolts out?

5 of 6 bonneT mount bolts snapped off in the holes. I drilled em and got a screw extractor, but that snapped off in it as well so I'm guessing I'll have to take it to an engineer?

also, I think it must be the fuel pump relay is buggered, whenever you switch on the headlights with the engine off you can hear the relay buzz and the pump try and re pressurise the system for a second. I'm Hoping It's just the relay anyway

Dont worry about it and bolt it on with the 5 you have. its only a bonnet

Dont worry about it and bolt it on with the 5 you have. its only a bonnet

WTF

He stripped 5 out of 6. Meaning on 1 is able to be used.

Yeah and now one of them has a tungsten chrome alloy rod stuck in the middle of it. My drill bits basically just shine that thing up

Fuel pump relay should not be priming the system when you turn the head lights on.

Fuel pump relay should not be priming the system when you turn the head lights on.

No it shouldnt, which is why I am asking. Its pretty noisy, was wondering if its the relay itself that is the problem, or something else likely?

Hmmm the bonnet paint is in really good condition, its just the threads were a tad rusty from not having been attached in 6 years. Im wondering if its cheaper to get another bonnet or get an engineer to remove said snapped bolts. Any ideas on prices?

WTF

He stripped 5 out of 6. Meaning on 1 is able to be used.

Thats what i thought he ment but i cant see how you can do that 5 times unintentionally so i thought it was typed wrong.

wtf lol

Basically they only went in halfway and then twisted themselves off, guess the threads in the holes must have been real damn rusty...So rusty that the screw extractor snapped off as well. :(

yeah after the first one snapped i chucked some crc in the holes, then after the second one i soaked the bolts as well as the holes with penetrating oil, and still more snapped off.

Guess the only thing i can do is engineer really, will call some on monday

One way to remove is to drill pilot hole into the centre of the broken bolt. Then drill this hole out to the thread tapping diameter (7.5mm for an 8mm bolt). Once you have done this you can re-tap the thread. If you damage the thread (e.g. pilot hole off centre) you can drill/tap oversize and fit a heli-coil. For the broken off extractor heat is the only option but not on a bonnet - good luck with that one.

Well got it done, 2 bolts on each side, one hole screwed up, one with a screw extractor in it. Just drilled out the bolts slightly then forced the normal bolts to self tap and its all good.

Still have the weird thing with the fuel pump going on again if any electrics are turned on before engine start. guessing its just the fuel pump relay, as the relay is very very noisy. (Louder than pump by far)