Sign in to follow this  
Mark

What would you like to see in a locally made car show?

Just doing a bit of research on a secret squirrel project and I thought I'd get some opinions from fellow car nuts about what you would and wouldn't like to see in a locally made television show about cars.

The only constraint is that it will be a reality television format. So no big budget Top Gear stuff, however elements similar to segments of Top Gear could possibly be included.

So on to the questions:

- What are/were your most favourite car based shows and why?

- What are/were your least favourite car based shows and why?

- With regards to car-related programming on television currently, what would you like to see more of?

- Is there anything that would put you off watching a New Zealand made reality show about cars?

- Putting aside your own personal opinions, what type of car-related show do you think would attract the largest viewing audience?

Feel free to answer as many or as few questions as you wish and add anything else you feel relevant as well! Would love to hear your thoughts.

I'll just add that it won't be a copy of any current show on television. It must be an original idea to satisfy the production company's brief.

Sorry Paul... the ti stays unpimped for now! :D

I like the Overhaulin'/American Chopper that sort of show. Would almost go so far as to say Pimp My Ride, but thats over the top and ricey etc etc.

But then again. Top Gear is amazing with its road tests and races against time, boats, planes, pushbikes etc

And unfortunately, i think you will find that its the young boy racers with thier big bore exhausts thats going to be your main viewing audience.

No idea how you are going to throw that all together though! You could use it to get the message across that illegal is not cool though (just an idea popped into my head, and may help with funding from the police for your show???? idk)

good luck!

scraps to riches nz style :D

wheeler dealer.. kinda boring to watch.. if you could spruce it up?? make it engaging like top gear :D

Edited by Docile

I find wheeler dealers very very entertaining :unsure:

But I guess that kinda show only appeals to a small collection of boring people... :lol:

I think you would do well to first think of what NOT to do.

Top Gear mainly works as it has a big budget, good personalities, and the audience trusts that they know what they are talking about (even if they don't). Every nz show that has tried to copy that format (AA car show anyone?) has failed miserably. They can't get the cars on the show people want to see, they're over excited, look try-hard, don't provide enough details or substance and aren't entertaining. Cringe-worthy stuff!

A show that reviews cars has to be big budget, big brands, entertaining, informative and polished.

Performance car tv was ok, but what let that down was that the tech segments were too broad brush - not enough info. The problem is, if you go into too much detail some viewers switch off. So tech segments don't work unless the tech is just part of the bigger picture. PCTV was also a bit juvenile (even for many teenagers), the presenters thought they were way more awesome than they were, and there was ALOT of sponsors advertising (ontop of the scheduled ads) Not exactly a winning formula although I beleive it did enjoy some popularity (probably because due to it being nz, there was afairly good chance you would see someone you knew in nearly every episode. On the other hand I did get sick of seeing all of the producers and presenters friends in every episode. Even though I knew some of them as alot of the northland drifters who I went to school etc with were mates with the presenters (JT, Fanga Dan,etc) it got a bit much.

People like to see what other enthusiasts are up to. Think of it kind of like a tv magazine where viewers cars get segments (and decent length feature segments too, not just a 2.5min overview). Intersperse it with some motorsport higlights (and crashes) maybe some cool stuff off the web (which you could then link to your website to have a web following too), some new car and auto industry news, and some good ol' shenanigans (someones paddock racing day, some local car clubs bikini car wash, some guy who parachutes out of a plane on his motorbike, or whatever) And you'd be set.

The other problem is half an hour is a bit short for a car show. Throw in 12+ mins of ads and you only have 18mins for the show - no where near enough to do it properly - Infomercials are longer! That's why Top Gear is great - it's an hour. Even 45 mins would be OK.

My 2c.

The other problem is half an hour is a bit short for a car show. Throw in 12+ mins of ads and you only have 18mins for the show - no where near enough to do it properly - Infomercials are longer! That's why Top Gear is great - it's an hour. Even 45 mins would be OK.

i ment to say that too.. agree on this!

love top gear UK. very entertaining and somewhat informational lol. although big budget

as well as wheeler dealer, scraps to riches, the first season of pimp my ride with west coast customs - when they were just doing up cars somewhat tidy. -no lcd tv on mud guards :/

did not like performance car that much. most of it is just like showing off already built cars. would like to have more coverage of what people can do at home.

what about a 1 hr long maintenance/tuning/diy guide? like how to check sparkplugs, oil change - what oil to use, guide to buying exhausts - headers, downpipe etc why a turbo type exhaust pipe wont do on a n/a engine - lol some people do put big as exhaust on hondas lol, wheel / tyre guide, how to perform car painting at home, changing brake pads, other various maintenance stuff too. etc... bring in like professional "tutors" to teach some stuff for liek a couple of mins or more.

but would imagine that would be not to everyone's taste?

what would put me off from watching it?? actors/ presenters like top gear australia :/

Edited by Docile

As above.

A how to program showing the LEGAL way to modify cars would be great.

Yeah I know most youngsters dont give a crap about laws (I was one of them to) but give them a view of how to do it and the laws governing said modifications so Mr Plod dont take your car and crush it.

What about a car show on interesting finished projects?

Edited by bmw3