Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

Electric fan thermo switch?

Anyone know how you would wire an electric fan to run of the thermoswitch on the side of the radiator, which I think controls the auxiliary fan correct?, using a relay or two and the 3pin switch?

wire it using the factory wiring. cut the fan off the wires and then join them to the new high/low wires on the new fan

if using just high or just low, iirc the aux fan has a built in resistor to change the speeds, and so the two + wires are both 12V so either one will work, and cap the other off

I don't have an auxillary fan and I don't have factory wiring for the fan either, I want to wire up a 12" electric fan I got to use with my radiator and for it to only come on when it's needed by using a thermo switch.

Posted Image

Here's how the factory Aux Fan works.

Do you have the "dual temprature switch" (Is that the thing sticking out the radiator?) (Glenn signal?)

If so you could just wire two relays directly to it (or one, high speed only though).. just gotta work out what side is which, I suggest taking it out and boiling the jug ;)

Actually... It looks like factory wiring relies on the "normal speed relay" being activated first, before the "high speed" relay can turn on.

Nope, I was wrong.. I got bored and made the circut to see what happens hahaha.

But, as you said earlier, You don't have any of this wiring... so you could just use the stock "dual temp switch"

To make it do two speeds, you'd pretty much have to copy the factory wiring. and just remove the parts you don't want.

I think.

Feel free to critisise.

Edited by antil33t