Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Good day at Puke with two CSL's

Just a few snaps from Puke today where I was quite surprised to see not one but two BMW M3 CSL's.

Tom (M3Power) took me for a ride in his at the end of the day. And man was I impressed. So balanced and so much turn in grip for a road car. It is the quickest road car I have been in around Puke and he was not pushing it today. No wonder you never see them for sale. I have fallen in love and I was not even the driver!

Pictured below is 2 of only 11 known in NZ. Phone pics so not the best sorry.

Posted Image

Some custome anti stone chip tape Tom put on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh and here is a short clip of them flying past on the front straight. On my camera phone so not the best.

Listen to that induction :wub:

Thanks guys for letting us have a look around. And cheers again for the ride Tom.

Awesome.

Hard to get one of those but two in one place?

Good to see they are low k'd models, are they easy to live with day to day use?

Those two cars were so immaculate I don't think they use them as a daily. But you should could if you wanted too.

I used to see L8APEX quite a bit in town but it was an standard M3 driven by an Asian dude, is it still him?

Some photos of mine of toms car

Posted Image

Posted Image

PS ... e46's rule ... they really do :)

Just a few snaps from Puke today where I was quite surprised to see not one but two BMW M3 CSL's.

Tom (M3Power) took me for a ride in his at the end of the day. And man was I impressed. So balanced and so much turn in grip for a road car. It is the quickest road car I have been in around Puke and he was not pushing it today. No wonder you never see them for sale. I have fallen in love and I was not even the driver!

Oh and here is a short clip of them flying past on the front straight. On my camera phone so not the best.

Listen to that induction :wub:

Thanks guys for letting us have a look around. And cheers again for the ride Tom.

Hey Dan, it was good to see you! Thanks for coming up to introduce yourself, I'd have never put 2 and 2 together with your forum name and the car you had there yesterday!

It was a great private day with loads of track time and 99.99% of the people behaving like they should (the only idiot there that day was the R8 driver that couldn't resist on speeding through the pitlane every single time just so everyone can hear his wonderful Audi V8 ... or was it V10?)

Hope my driving wasn't too shocking yesterday. I honestly had the car set up too hard in the rear end and it was all over the place around high speed weight transition corners - simply couldn't put the power down as I'd liked and ended up up shifting lot earlier than I normally would. Giving it was brand new discs I was also going easy on the brakes just in case I warped another set - happy to report they've stood up to the test yesterday! (Had the car all cleaned up and tucked away by 8pm last night :rolleyes: and the custom stone chip masking tapes really works!)

Great video by the way - wow I never realised how loud it was - I honestly couldn't tell from inside the car with the helmet on - but cricky, I now know what you guys meant!! Mine does sound a tad louder than Rob's car (the other CSL owner)!

Just in case some of you are wondering why my front bumper looked a little odd, I was running a replica bumper yesterday (colour mismatched) with an extended front splitter: Here's the before track day shot:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Man I wish one would come up for sale

I'll let you know if one does - I keep in regular contact with quite a few owners and have had people call me in the past to see if anyone was selling - I sent an email out and got quite a few colourful rejections haha.

Gotta love the CSLs. Saw Tom's car 2 days ago, sounded really good - exhaust??

Was this on Pakuranga Highway? Hope I wasn't speeding : P

It has an exhaust.

Awesome.

Hard to get one of those but two in one place?

Good to see they are low k'd models, are they easy to live with day to day use?

Rob's one is a UK import and it is in Miles - both of our cars actually have virtually identical km. He doesn't use his everyday, neither do I. Although I did for about 6 months when I first got the car.

They are actually surprisingly easy to live with on a day to day basis - provided you don't go to supermarkets, shopping malls and anywhere you'd have to park the car. The ride is harsh around town even in stock form, but livable. Traffic jams aren't really fun though.

I used to see L8APEX quite a bit in town but it was an standard M3 driven by an Asian dude, is it still him?

That would be me (standard M3 before the CSL) - although I am surprised you say you spotted me in town - I hardly go there other than to eat and even that isn't a common occurrence for me!

Yes they do!!

Edited by M3_Power

That CF airbox is soooo awesome, you could easily suck a small child into that, excellent :)

You're a lucky man Danno getting a lift round Puke in one, I hope you were keeping up in your E30??

I'm in two minds with the CSL, yes I would so love to own one, but I think you would have to track it regularly to get the proper use from it, there is no way you could do it justice on the public roads in NZ. How much different is the CS? I have heard it is 99% as sharp as the lightweights but a lot more useable as a daily, plus quite a bit cheaper to buy and maintain.

That would be me (standard M3 before the CSL) - although I am surprised you say you spotted me in town - I hardly go there other than to eat and even that isn't a common occurrence for me!

Few times in town but more often in Newmarket though. Anyway, I have long been both a bit envy and admire your cars. Always clean and shiny, mods are subtle, love the plate by the way.

i was also looking around for a CSL but i couldn't find one so i had to settle for a stranded one :(

Is there a noticeable difference between the stranded M3 and the CSL???

Droooooooooollllllllll x 2. Dan you lucky prick!

Man I wish one would come up for sale

Hasnt been one for sale for ages Doug.

Any idea what happened to the black one that was for sale in Welly last year?

Was this on Pakuranga Highway? Hope I wasn't speeding : P

It has an exhaust.

No, you were actually stationary when I first saw you :lol: This was in Newmarket last Fri and you were turning off Khyber Pass into a side road.

I'm in two minds with the CSL, yes I would so love to own one, but I think you would have to track it regularly to get the proper use from it, there is no way you could do it justice on the public roads in NZ. How much different is the CS? I have heard it is 99% as sharp as the lightweights but a lot more useable as a daily, plus quite a bit cheaper to buy and maintain.

The CS is not available in NZ, never was. Your only way of getting one would be UK import. They are quite a good compromise, especially with the quicker steering rack - transforms the car by quite a bit.

Maintenance wise, I'd say they'd all be very similar no matter which model you pick - except for some CSL specific parts which are very expensive (mostly aesthetics though).

Few times in town but more often in Newmarket though. Anyway, I have long been both a bit envy and admire your cars. Always clean and shiny, mods are subtle, love the plate by the way.

Thank you : ) Now thinking about I guess I am at Newmarket quite often (weekends usually), to visit the wife at work, and I get sent to do a starbucks run for the dealership : P

Is there a noticeable difference between the stranded M3 and the CSL???

Night and day difference. The weight difference is the first thing you notice, the next being the steering input and feedback. Power wise to be honest I don't think there's that much in it, it is only marginally quicker (nothing like the difference between the new V8 M3 and the S54B32)

You can definitely mod a normal M3 to be just as quick though. The airbox is hard to replicate without a lot of money spent however - can be done if you are prepared.

Any idea what happened to the black one that was for sale in Welly last year?

A Pharmacist in Canterbury owns it now.

No, you were actually stationary when I first saw you :lol: This was in Newmarket last Fri and you were turning off Khyber Pass into a side road.

Ah that day ... of all the days that I never use the car for outings, happened to get a puncture in the daily, and I had a dinner thing in Newmarket that I had to make, so had no choice but to use the CSL to get there .. LOL.

Edited by M3_Power

*agrees*

I love the pics. Definately one of my favourite BMW's