westy

WARNING

They are NOT generous and include possible sizes of:

195 for a 7"

205 for a 7.5"

215 for a 8"

245 for a 10"

etc.

These sizes seem a little extreme. My old Toyota would fail on its factory wheels/tyres. 195 on a 8"rim.

Guest Ari Gold

About time this dangerous fashion of over stretching tyres got nailed hopefully they will ban snow tyres soon as well.

Why oh why do I bite... If it's good enough for TUV certification, its sure as sh*t good enough for here.

hmmm im actually not a fan of full stretch as the tire wall inner casing on most tires just cant cope and yeah the do just chew themselves out.

however a mild stretch is fine.

Im about to do 245/40zR18 on a 9.5 which is just in the tires manufactures specs.

Whilst not a fan of huge strech, I don't think they should make a bunch of rules against it.

It's that persons car after all.

Hmmm I can understand why .. I have seen a couple of aftermaths of full stretch .. the side wall inner caseing starts to delam from the tread casing over time .... similar effect to driving on under inflated tires eventually the tire will chew itself from the inside out.

Whilst not a fan of huge strech, I don't think they should make a bunch of rules against it.

It's that persons car after all.

I think it is more to do with safety as a severely stretched tyre can potentially roll off the rim.

As Josh sort of touched on most tyre manufacturers give a specified rim width that the tyre is intended for. Most of the time this will give a mild stretch if you use the maximum rim width suggested.