Sign in to follow this  
westy

WARNING

There are a couple of solid rumours around that there are new rules regarding minimum tyre widths for wheel widths.

I cant find any official documents on it so details are sketchy, but it seems that certifiers at least have been issued with tables for minimum tyre width for any given wheel sizing.

They are NOT generous and include possible sizes of:

195 for a 7"

205 for a 7.5"

215 for a 8"

245 for a 10"

etc.

If you are in the middle of a project check with your certifier!!!

What you're doing may not pass

I got warned about that this morning too.... no more stretch

Will this apply to WOFs also Glenn??

I was told its going to... but not sure...I havent checked

looks like im going to have to buy new tires for my new lips :( I was thinking 205 for an 8" would be fine.

whats the reasons behind the change? Have there been cases where stretched tyres have caused accidents? I would have though as long as the tyre isnt stretched passed the manufactures recomendations. eg toyo allow 225/40R16 on a 9" rim. 215/40R16 however is only allowed on a 8.5" rim.

Edited by Mike

Assuming that this change is definite, and it seems to be, one would have thought that that would have been entirely reasonable.

I suspect that it has something to do with enforcement ie an official table is easier for coppers to refer to on the side of the road.

How is an officer going to know the width of a wheel anyway...its written on the inside, they wont jack it up to look... maybe they will be armed with callipers and tape measures now ?

I dont know.

It would nice to see something official to clear this up.

Guest Ari Gold

What a waste of time and money.

I'm running a 205 on an 8.5" rim. There is no way in hell anyone would say it was remotely stretched, but in order to comply with the law, I'm going to have to run a 225 minimum? Give me a break.

Some tyres are fatter than others (rim protectors etc), are they going to police each differing brand under a differing standard?

Would be interesting to hear the thoughts of some of the members under the gun (Tyre shops / John Q's)

Guest Simon*

Haha I feel so out of touch running 265's on my 9"!!

Sure doesn't look like compliance will be an issue for me! :D

I think the new ACC levies are a more important issue to waste breath on personally.

I think the new ACC levies are a more important issue to waste breath on personally.

Whats new in that area Graham ??

Man sized wheels require man sized tyres!

Some tyres are fatter than others (rim protectors etc), are they going to police each differing brand under a differing standard?

excatly, and road legal slicks are different again.

Maybe the reg's wont be as though as what westy posted, might be geting excited over nothing (for those running sensible widths)

ha does that mean my 255's are stretched on 9's?

excatly, and road legal slicks are different again.

The 195/205/335 part of the tyre size is a section width and from what i understand thats basically this:

Section width is the measurement of the tyre from side to side excluding any additional sidewall items such as kerbing ribs, raised letters etc.

Posted Image

This is not tread width. It would be interesting to see if brand x's 195/55/15 has a different tread width than brand y's, given that you get tyres with square shoulders and rounded shoulders.

i.e.

Posted Image

Whats new in that area Graham ??

Not sure if that's a rhetorical question, but ACC pulled the oldest trick in the book. Threatened to raise levies by an unrealistic amount that was bound to attract protest - which they got,

they then "reduced" the increases to around half and everyone thinks it's great. The thing is, they're still increasing them by a ridiculous amount, they still haven't addressed the inequalities that exist. Multiple vehicle owners get stung even though they can only drive one car at a time, owners of unique vehicles get stung as they pay the same eve if they only use their vehicles a few weekends a year, and farm bikes and off road bikes get off scott-free even though they are highly represented in accident statistics.

It's good to know about the proposed tyre change rules, but I was surprised how incensed members are about these changes compared to total silence on a much more important imminent law change. Hell you could buy a new set of correct-sized tyres for the extra acc levy in many cases.

You would think they have better things to think about. I was excited to learn of the new recommendations being bandied around regarding young drivers and the development of a 'better' process, so I suposse it was only a matter of time before we heard something stupid to bring us all back down to earth.

Its pathetic, it will go down with the same 'wtf were they thinking' aptitude as it did with the tinted windows saga, or how about the emissions for wof and then the maximum decibel thingy. A bloody warrant of fitness, is just that. You should be able to take your car in and THEY either pass it or not, based on their expertise, based on their guidelines, which is all they should be.

Have a look at some of the literature and you will quickly see that a 195/50-15 even from the same maker will have differing dimensions, possibly as wide as their own 205/50, etc etc, then there are manufacturers tolerances and then of course you have the tolerances from the rim manufacturers to consider. What a waste of time! Some tyres strech better than others too, I would cringe if I saw an 15year old 215/50-15 eager stretched on a 9x15 rim, but maybe not if it was a brand spankin new pirelli or whatever. I guess 'age' of the tyres might be the next on the list...of silly things to 'control'.

I do see a point, because there are always going to be idiots, but having 195 (keep in mind there is no aspect ratio and that makes a huge difference to this argument) on a 7" rim, means bloody nothing. Where are the guidelines on overall diameter?

Keep in mind, alot of the streched tyres we see from around the world came from WOF guidelines that required that your tread needed to be under the guard...which basically said to tuners, sh*t, lets get 10" rims under our golf gti's and throw 225's on which will stretch like sh*t, but bring the tread under the guard, yipee, dangerous I think, but legal.

A new set of guidelines will just get tuners to do something else in response, or maybe we will see a resurgence in flares and raised rears like the seventies? eecckkk!!!

I think they need to have a few more think tanks before they start spewing out these rather rudimentary guidelines.

Edited by _Mark_

Not sure if that's a rhetorical question

No it wasn't... I thought there might be something else in the pipeline

Ghey, just got new wheels too. Was going to run a 195 on a 9.5. cheya.

I aint for stretching either, but then where is the limit?

Guidelines are good, but then it would be good to have a process for those grey areas. Maybe a cert at the most and maybe a comment on your wof application with either a pass or fail. Ultimately it should end with the wof guys.

It may be harder to nail down the type of tyre, because we live in different climatic conditions, but I see your point, there are some nasty m&s tyres that are coming over and people are avoiding them for very good reasons, but they would have been perfect for its previous intended use.

About time this dangerous fashion of over stretching tyres got nailed hopefully they will ban snow tyres soon as well.

I HAVE to have 205s on my 8" rim in the rear of my e30 otherwise the guard will have a picnic. Just aswell i dont have to worry about wofs...