Sign in to follow this  
AzonicNick

5er wheels on a e36?

Hey all,

Does anybody here now the details regarding putting e34 / e39 wheels on a e36? I have done a fair bit of searching on the web and it is hard to find a clear answer. I guess it depends on the wheels in question.

I know the offsets are different, 3 series being around 35-46 with a centre bore of 72.6mm and the 5er having a lower offset (14-25) of and bore of 74.1. The centre bore can be fixed with hubcentric rings but how about the offset with spacers?

I have a seen plenty of pics on the net of various wheels from 5ers such as Style 5s and also the likes of Jase and his old M paras. I have read you would have to roll the guards a little and spacers?

Whats the chances of these fitting? Would much work be involved? Have e36 motorsport suspension if it matters and wouldnt mind lowering the car a little.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=274877728

Is it worth it?

Cheers

Edited by e36.

Offset would get worse with spacers. lower offset wheels stick out further, so will require guard work to make them fit properly, and stretching the tyres would probably help aswell.

Jase's wheels were most likely replicas made in an E36 offset (Have only found one car on the net that has genuine M-Pars, s*&t load of guard work)

Hey man,

I've been watching those rims for soo long!

Like previously said spacers will not increase offset, they decrease offset. So for example if you wanted to put E36 wheels on a 5 series then you could use a 20mm spacer, ET45 down to ET25. ET20 wheels with a 20mm spacer will make the offset 0.

I would personally run a lower offset wheel on a E36 no question, mainly cause I think a lot of wheels in E36 offset look crap and have pretty much no dish (Not in every case).

Those wheels with an offset of 13 are a bit borderline (But of course you can get anything to fit really if you really want).

They'd leave enough room towards the strut but would stick out another 33mm (1.3"). You can roll and flare the guards and I'd put my money on them fitting, you would have to run stretch too.

E39 are the odd wheels out, they're the only modern bimmer that uses the 74.1 center bore. So only E39 wheels would need hubcentric rings. Very cheap from memory.

Still waiting for my 18" staggered Style 5's to pop up! :wub: Offsets not gonna stop me.

Bro I've got +24 offset on mine at the moment. And am going to space those out. no rub at all, not even close - Front and rear.

doit, they're hot.

Cool, cheers for the info! Nick I just read your offset guide and it's all as clear as mud now.. heading in the right direction though!

If they are still there in 2 weeks I'll probably pull trigger. It will be a while before they find their way to the car but little steps :lol:

Pjay dont buy them unless you want to sell them to me in a few weeks :P

Nick, you'll be buying the second set of 18" Style 5's that pop up ;)

Didnt you originally have style 5's on the 540 Si?

Guest Simon*

Haha the car rolled out of the dealership on staggered 17" Style 5's but they were gone a couple of owners before I bought the car, so no, I've never owned a set.

18's are UBER rare ;)

We'll see Simon!

Didnt you originally have style 5's on the 540 Si?

Yea! You've already been through your quota of Style 5's!

what do style 5s look like?

Take any chance for Style 5 education!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And all those are proof that 5 series wheels will fit E36 :D

Guest Simon*

All those guys just wish they'd bought E34's instead - it's kind of an inferiority complex you're feeding Nick ;)

You sure have been sitting on a stash of pics though, woah! :D

Why don't you go see Ray and ask to test fit a set of his 17's and see how they look?

No, no they're all in their right minds. :D Its just BMW put them on the wrong model bimmers from factory.

I've got even more but saving those for a very special rainy day :wub: Can't stop looking at the pictures.

Thats an awesome idea. Might ask Ray next time I'm up there.

Do it. I mean if it came down to it you could always get the back of the hub face of the wheel skimmed?

third

Hey man Ive tried fitting 5er wheels on my E36 before

Link

Theres some picks in that link to show how tight it is

Wheel was 17x8.5 ET13 with 205/40 tyre

The back isnt to far off but you need to flare the front about 30mm to even cover the bead of the tyre

Guest Simon*

Too slow Johno!

Market is now demanding 18" staggered style 5's - now THEY would be worth buying new ;)

In a nice low offset for the e36!

Ahh I have been spending far too much time browsing stanceworks. No wonder I'm not getting much work done at the moment!

Ben, that fitment looks tight. Should have put some smaller tyres on it and kept them.

All E36 owners, this is how your wheels should fit. :D

Ben, that fitment looks tight. Should have put some smaller tyres on it and kept them.

All E36 owners, this is how your wheels should fit. :D

Ive still got them Ive just been using them as skid rims.

They busted heaps of paint off my arches tho lol

You definitely need to roll the rear guards as a bear minimum

to fit the 5er wheels. Flaring them would be even better

Hey all,

Does anybody here now the details regarding putting e34 / e39 wheels on a e36? I have done a fair bit of searching on the web and it is hard to find a clear answer. I guess it depends on the wheels in question.

I know the offsets are different, 3 series being around 35-46 with a centre bore of 72.6mm and the 5er having a lower offset (14-25) of and bore of 74.1. The centre bore can be fixed with hubcentric rings but how about the offset with spacers?

I have a seen plenty of pics on the net of various wheels from 5ers such as Style 5s and also the likes of Jase and his old M paras. I have read you would have to roll the guards a little and spacers?

Whats the chances of these fitting? Would much work be involved? Have e36 motorsport suspension if it matters and wouldnt mind lowering the car a little.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=274877728

Is it worth it?

Cheers

on there way up to a e28 or e34 soon

Posted Image