Sign in to follow this  
waxer01

635 CSI

Hi, just wondering if anyone has much knowledge of the 635 csi, think of getting a cool classic and wondered about servicing, parts, reliability, things to look out for etc. cheers

The member "ssbmw" could be good to talk to.. He will probably reply here anyway.

try and get a later model one like 1984 onwards , (better set up underneth and inside interior and electrics etc )

keep away from a uk imports .

look for rust every where.

mechanical and electric stuff is easy to fix rust is not

Hi, just wondering if anyone has much knowledge of the 635 csi, think of getting a cool classic and wondered about servicing, parts, reliability, things to look out for etc. cheers

Brent is abolutely right- the most important thing is the structure - is the body-work ok, devoid of rust. The unfortunate thing is that even the NZ ones are prone to some tin worm. Check the body out and ideally try and source one of the later ones.

M30 Engine is pretty strong; can keep going up to 400-500kms sometimes without major issues. I would check this out though by one of the BMW independents.

Most are autos - especially in the later ones. Ensure that the transmission doesn't jerk too much. Mine was sold at 140 kms on clock and I know the next owner had a re-build at like 160 kms.

In todays terms, their handling is a tad 'boaty.' If you can change the shocks to Bilsteins and get new springs like Eibach etc that will provide immeasurable improvement.

Some interiors are a little rough now - may need some TLC with leather conditioning etc.

Still a beautiful looking car if they are looked after.

What is your budget because my old car is possibly going to be on the market again. Loved by me for 3 years, and loved by the latest owner for 8 years. He has spent around $2ok on that car.

1989 Highline - Burgundy and cream leather - one of the last and one of approx 5 Highlines in NZ (ex UK- but this car is beautiful. Style 5 wheels + he has the original metric wheels too. I think he wants like high teens to $20k for it. One of the best in the country.

post-2653-1268969756.jpg

Guest Ari Gold

I saw it on the newmarket flyover about a week ago! It's gorgeous.

SS, could you possibly give us a quick run down on the differing bumpers / spoilers the cars got over the years? I notice that your old Hi Line has the plastic bumpers which appear to look a lot like the 5mph bumpers the US cars were equipped with.

I saw it on the newmarket flyover about a week ago! It's gorgeous.

SS, could you possibly give us a quick run down on the differing bumpers / spoilers the cars got over the years? I notice that your old Hi Line has the plastic bumpers which appear to look a lot like the 5mph bumpers the US cars were equipped with.

Sure mate, in a nutshell, BMW 'up-graded' the appearance of the E24's in late 1987. So for the final 2 years (they ceased production of the E24 in April 89 with the E31 being released) for the UK market they revised the bumpers which in essence had very little chrome unlike the pre-Highlines. The bumpers were similar to US 635csi's. The Highlines as they were called also had leather everywhere - headlining, dashboards, around the fascia, centre consoles, and doors. All of a sudden, the car looked alot more regal, even if some thought they looked more conservative.

In countries where the summers are hot, BMW revised the spec- they retained the plastic dashboards from the previous pre Highlines.

From what I know there are only 5 true ex- UK Highlines in NZ. From what I know there are a similar number of 1988 /1989 NZ new vehicles without the full leather.

Seriously, the car above is a fantastic car if someone wants one of the best 635csi's around. It had a re-spray even the paint was very tidy, has new suspension, new gear-box, has been chipped to put out 250 BHP, had 1/2 of the leather replaced (even though it was in mint condition when I had it) and like new Style 5's.

Sure mate, in a nutshell, BMW 'up-graded' the appearance of the E24's in late 1987. So for the final 2 years (they ceased production of the E24 in April 89 with the E31 being released) for the UK market they revised the bumpers which in essence had very little chrome unlike the pre-Highlines. The bumpers were similar to US 635csi's. The Highlines as they were called also had leather everywhere - headlining, dashboards, around the fascia, centre consoles, and doors. All of a sudden, the car looked alot more regal, even if some thought they looked more conservative.

In countries where the summers are hot, BMW revised the spec- they retained the plastic dashboards from the previous pre Highlines.

From what I know there are only 5 true ex- UK Highlines in NZ. From what I know there are a similar number of 1988 /1989 NZ new vehicles without the full leather.

Seriously, the car above is a fantastic car if someone wants one of the best 635csi's around. It had a re-spray even the paint was very tidy, has new suspension, new gear-box, has been chipped to put out 250 BHP, had 1/2 of the leather replaced (even though it was in mint condition when I had it) and like new Style 5's.

is the burgundy one a manual or auto/

is the burgundy one a manual or auto/

1989 - auto; hence why the car once needed a gear-box re-build. The manuals are virtually bullet proof. Very few manual Highlines.

I've seen that around a lot, used to live round the corner, it is gorgeous. And he was quite fanatical about cleaning it.

Ive had my 80 manual for 8years virtualy rebult , put 87 donk in after old 1 did the head gasket twice &recoed the head . being ex uk had rust in rear gaurds which had to have patches then full repaint plus the usual stuff on a 30 year old car -all the brake gear water & fuel hoses d shaft do nut & centre bearing . Was my weekend warrior but now up for sale as bought 95 328 is until i can find anther project BMW . Missed out on rusty 535 manual that sold for $1500 last year all 635 csi s around have been done up or full resto .. Good to drive long distance & still attract attention . mine is on Tm at moment

1989 - auto; hence why the car once needed a gear-box re-build. The manuals are virtually bullet proof. Very few manual Highlines.

Convert to manual or is that ruining the car? Better performance but no good for purist.

Hey Quailboy,

Being the owner of an ex uk 635 that has been the recipient of an extremely long and protracted rebuild, all I can tell you is look for rust everywhere as you have been told allready, but most important is front guards along the tops where they bolt onto front structure, at the bottom where they attach to the sills, and up inside the guards also as you get huge rot in these areas, check sills, they tend to blow out in the rear, also check floors, boot, front brace running behind grill (open bonnet & look down between bonnet & front of car is best way from above. If it has a sunroof (yet to see one without ) check rear wheel wells as well... obviously check door bottoms, rear of bootlid under spoiler & wheelarches all round, beyond that expect the unexpected ok.........good luck.

Cheers

Edit- Who posted 1st fail...lol

Edited by oldskool

Guest Ari Gold

Great advice thus far chaps!

There's an M635csi right across from where I'm house sitting - chrome bumpers, M-tec kit, looks to be on E28 or E34 weaves, the girlfiend likes it more than the E30 (she's one to talk, she's rolling round in an E90 320i)

Pretty sure it's an NZ New 87 model, sold in 88.

Which motors are more prevalent in NZ? The M88 or S38?

It's a light sand colour, Gazelle Beige? Could be luxor though?

It's not for sale, but any M635 specific advice, should it come up for sale?

There's an M635csi right across from where I'm house sitting - chrome bumpers, M-tec kit, looks to be on E28 or E34 weaves, the girlfiend likes it more than the E30 (she's one to talk, she's rolling round in an E90 320i)

Hi Ari,

Would this car have the complete M-tech body-kit including side-skirts? If so, this is the only luxor beige m635csi that I know of. It also has brown leather interior. If it is the same car, the owner has the original metrics but replaced them with standard E34 16" weaves. All the NZ new cars have the M88/3 engine which is the same as the UK spec cars. It is one of the lower k cars in the country- should have around 130-140 kms these days.

The owner has owned it for the last 9 years or so.

Completely original car. From my perspective, not the best looking colour. Completely original though.

This car broke a timing chain at only 100 kms - showing that chains do break before 100 k miles / 160,000 kms.

That is the only major issue with these cars, unlike the E30's, the chains on the M88's actually do go. Not a cheap job either - budget $3-4k.

REgards, SS

Sorry, what I meant was budget $3-4k to get on replaced. If the chain brakes- you are looking at a rebuild here; I know one guy who spent $12k to repair his engine.

REgards,

SS

PS - Please disregard my spelling - what I meant was 'breaks' - not brakes- I have the flu and I am having a shocker!

i am rebuilding my m88 engine at the moment . costing me about $3k for top and bottom gasget sets , chains , guides , bearings ,seals etc

the chains dont fail its the plastic chain guides that wear out .