Sign in to follow this  
b mike w

help me!

Hi guys, for a while now my 1986 320i has had a leak that comes in through the passenger footwell. I think I have narrowed it down to the DME compartment filling up with water when it rains or when I wash my car then overflowing into the footwell. I need help because I can't actually find the DME compartment. I have a 101 Performance Projects book but it isn't very helpful as it only covers back untill 1988 and I think the car might have changed the location over those two years. So if anyone could help me with the location to this compartment that would be great or any other suggestions as to why there is water coming into that footwell.

Thanks guys

It will be rust under the fuze box where the loom goes through the firewall, or around the L/H lower windscreen panel or an ill fitting body grommet

Edited by *Glenn*

If it's green it's coolant, and your heater core is leaking.

If it's clear it's probably rain water. What happens is the drain channels get blocked and the area by the wiper motors fills up with water until it overflows into the cabin.

The first drain to check is below the battery compartment under the bonnet. It is a rubber "down-pipe" which blocks. The down pipe may have been removed at some stage and just the hole in the firewall still there. In which case it is this hole which is blocked. Rubber down pipe not necessary.

Thanks guys but it isn't the hole under the battery. the rubber pipe has been removed before I had the car and the hole is clear. that was one of the first things I checked. if it is rust is there anyway to remove the fuse box to have a look? i can unscrew it but it still just sits there in the way. (whats a grommet also?)

a gromet is a rubbr bung. to remove your fusebox you have to remove the entire loom, do you have the rubber seal that seals between the firewall and the bonnet? it sits on the metal lip that runs around the engine bay just below the w,screen. this helps keep water out of engine bay and keep it out of places like the hole for your wiring loom and bonnet release cable, the best way to find the leak is to get up under there with a light and look around while someone hoses water on the appropriate area.