Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Contemplating changing cars

We've had our Mazda 6 now for a few years and it's creeping up to about 140km which is starting to get up there. Wife is pretty keen on a 3 series touring E46 (needs the space for the kids stuff) Just wanting to know what to look for, we'd prefer NZ new but I know that's not going to happen very easily or cheaply. She does high k's every year with her work (90% open road work)

Would it be suitable to have a 318i or a 320i 325i or 328i? Because of the high k's we'd prefer as cheap as poss (running costs) We can't justify spending the money to get a 320d or similar (although it would be nice) I drove a E46 this week (loan car) 318i and it went very well for a 4 cylinder. Can anyone be honest enough to tell us if they are a reliable car? Does anyone know if a 3 series would be safer than a Mazda 6? (car takes my 9 month and wife 800km a week)

Budget is aprox 15k but prepared to spend a little bit more to get the right car. Hey, if you find some examples, post them!

Edited by Clinton

Cant help you too much as im not up with the play with E46's but this looks ok. The km's are probably a bit high for you thou?

Cant help you too much as im not up with the play with E46's but this looks ok. The km's are probably a bit high for you thou?

That's a great looking one, seen it a few times here in Dunedin. But yeah, as above we really need the versatility of the Touring, they seem to hold their value better too?

Found this, not interested in it because of the mileage but forget the ultimate driving machine for a second and hello ultimate looking machine!

Visit My Website

Edited by Clinton

That's a great looking one, seen it a few times here in Dunedin. But yeah, as above we really need the versatility of the Touring, they seem to hold their value better too?

Fair enough. Ive had my eye on it for a while. Just not a fan of the interior. BLAND!!

Ive had my 318i e46 for close to 3 years now and i would say ive enjoyed it alot and am very pleased with it. Even though it has the 4cyl engine it makes it very economical around town. If ever was going to upgrade my daily to another BMW it would be to a e46 touring specifically a 325 for abit extra power for the long drives.

Definitely this one. Why pay a premium for an e46, when in my mind, the e39 is a better car. More space and more toys.

edit: for correct link

Edited by kingkarl

Definitely this one. Why pay a premium for an e46, when in my mind, the e39 is a better car. More space and more toys.

Think ya mean this one:

Visit My Website

:)

Do you really need a touring ??, Back seats can fold down in the sedan if you wanted extra space, Dunno just a suggestion , Really pays to look around, Down here in chch cars seem more expensive than say up in aucks for the same thing not sure further down your way.

Your partner may find driving the sedan better than a touring but then again i have never driven a touring before so i am probably way off base. I love my upgrade to the e46 to bits (except for the $300 speeding ticket - Yes my fault and i fully admit it).

Same with any car though pays to take it to somebody for a full pre purchase inspection. Coolant systems are the main thing i have seen on the 46'ers tend to do the expansion tank in. But also like any car if it has been maintained properly and there are records of that then things should be fine.

Glenn would be able to say any other main things to look for.

Edited by M-Spec

We've had our Mazda 6 now for a few years and it's creeping up to about 140km which is starting to get up there. Wife is pretty keen on a 3 series touring E46 (needs the space for the kids stuff) Just wanting to know what to look for, we'd prefer NZ new but I know that's not going to happen very easily or cheaply. She does high k's every year with her work (90% open road work)

Would it be suitable to have a 318i or a 320i 325i or 328i? Because of the high k's we'd prefer as cheap as poss (running costs) We can't justify spending the money to get a 320d or similar (although it would be nice) I drove a E46 this week (loan car) 318i and it went very well for a 4 cylinder. Can anyone be honest enough to tell us if they are a reliable car? Does anyone know if a 3 series would be safer than a Mazda 6? (car takes my 9 month and wife 800km a week)

Budget is aprox 15k but prepared to spend a little bit more to get the right car. Hey, if you find some examples, post them!

Having driven the E46 touring, I think that the back seat is tiny. No leg room and the wagon doesn't really add more space.

Have you considered a VW Golf wagon or a Passat wagon?

Black V6 Passat Wagon

Blue V5 Passat Wagon

Silver Golf GTi Mk4 Wagon

Blue Golf GT Wagon

Passats, Golfs and Mazda 6 all have Euro NCAP 4 star ratings.

To get significantly better crash protection, you need to be looking at newer cars.

Toyota Avensis gets 5 star Euro Ncap from 2003.

Other alternatives are Volvo V40's or V70's.

silver 320D - just spotted this :)

Cheers.

307 HDI wagon - manual... full glass roof... then talk to Keith about the H&R springs he's got in stock for them

2.5 litre or bigger Legacy/Outback, safe, roomy, go well and capable of racking up big k's without costing the earth. They are at least 4 star if not 5 for safety from '03 on. Plus 4wd which can't hurt given your location.

2.5 litre or bigger Legacy/Outback, safe, roomy, go well and capable of racking up big k's without costing the earth. They are at least 4 star if not 5 for safety from '03 on. Plus 4wd which can't hurt given your location.

We've been there & done the Subaru thing and it's ended up with alot of money in repairs.

She's fairly set on a E46 (so am I)and yeah it does have to be a touring because we do need that extra space. End of financial is up now so we're going to actively market the Mazda and see what we can get for it. Most are around the 13-15k mark.

With the VAG's they are fairly old looking, never really been a fan of those cars, however a bluemotion golf would be nice, but just too expensive at this stage.

FFS DRTDVL a 307? That would seriously make my poor little 9 month old cry just looking at it!

Find something you like then get a pre-purchase done. E46's have their normal share of problems just like all BMW's. Sometimes you strike it lucky and sometimes theres lemonade.

And make sure whoever does the pre-purchase knows about BMW's. Dont get the AA to do it.

Edited by Yankus

I had a pre-purchase inspection done for a guy who wanted to buy my Porsche - they're fkn muppets. They devalued the car because it had 3/4 worn disks, dirty engine bay, oil seepage (not leak or drip but moist around the rocker cover one bank)

I've had two X5 BMW's now and both of them I haven't had an issue with that I can really complain about. I owned a E60 and that was trouble, an absolute prick of a thing. My uncle had a 4.6is for 2 years and no trouble, he had a E60 M5 and it was a joke, always in at Cooke Howlison BMW - another friend of mine owns Laurie Mains's old X5, has had it for 5 years and hasn't had one problem.

Never owned a E46 but we will certainly get it checked out correctly.