Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Where is Auckland heading ?

How about a bit of BS support here ??

Western Springs Speedway In Auckland .

Hi all,

As you may or may not be aware the Auckland City Council is up to its dirty tricks again in trying to get rid of the Speedway at Western Springs.

You may recall all the drama in 2004 when there was the march and also the petition that raised approx. 56,000 signatures in support of the speedway.

The current council has decided to invalidate that petition that was accepted unanimously by the previous council. That means we have to start all over again

The Western Springs speedway club has an online petition going. Please go the link below and add your name - takes less than a minute

Please pass it on to all your mates and anybody else you can get to sign

http://www.speedwayclub.co.nz/signpetition.php

Done, load of pc crap.

Done. Never been to western springs but speedway is fun.

Can some nerd not make a bot to make a bunch of fake signatures also? Otherwise, theres something I can do all day tommorow...not make a bot though.

Heard a bit of this on the radio, Radio Hauraki is in full support of the speedway.

Turns out there's like less than five people complaining about this, and the speedway was there first (been around for 80 years or so iirc)

Guest Ari Gold

Aaaaand the devils advocate - why does a city need a speedway in the middle of it?

Times change. In 1929, Western Springs was a water reservoir for Auckland City, coarse farm land and rugged terrain. Now the area is simply showing the regeneration outwards that has characterised Ponsonby and the surrounding suburbs as of late, the speedway is a relic. Move it somewhere that can handle 50,000 people heading to it (unlikely - but they got that many signatures).

INB4 Graeme revokes my man card for hating some form of motorsport.

Motion to revoke Man Card proposed - do I have any seconders?

I'd already seen it and signed it. I think attendance is improved by it being in the city and as noted above, its been there for a very long time.

Done! As Dave said - PC crap. Speedway has been there longer than the muppets complaining about it have

Full Name Peter Date 2010-03-23 20:40:03

City Finlay

Fail

did someone post this a few weeks back? if this isnt the same one ill sign it again.. even though i dont live in aucks :ph34r:

I actually live at the top of the speedway, just behind that big concrete wall at the top of the hill... No complaints from us. The speedway was there when the house was bought so why complain about noise etc.

Signed.

Ari, the problem isn't getting to it and all that crap. Its that the few residents bought places right next to the speedway knowing full well the noise it puts out and yet they still complain and ruin it for the 10 of thousands of people who enjoy it. Concerts are a different issue as they don't allow parking on the huge field next to the speedway which puts the cars on the surrounding roads, even then the roads in a 1k raidius are a no parking zone and the people within are the ones complaining.

I do agree that in the middle of the city isn't the best place for a speedway but it was there first! Full stop. You purchase a house around that area knowing that there will be noise and if its close enough to the speedway I bet there are people lining up to buy those houses.

And another point, I live less that 30 seconds from the speedway. It's nowhere near as bad as most people make it out to be. Its one bloody night a week, and even then sometimes I don't even notice it some weeks. Whether or not its actually on I don't know?

I do understand that the novelty of owning a house right next to the speedway probably wears off pretty quickly but that's not the speedways problem.

And another point, I live less that 30 seconds from the speedway. It's nowhere near as bad as most people make it out to be.

Yes he does, and is such a top bloke he drove me and a couple pissed as mates back to the local pub after ACDC. I still owe you for that! Just remembered upon reading this! Thanks again!

But his point is totally correct imo. If you buy a house by the sea, prepare for the elements.

Signed... Only been for Groove in the Park.. as i used to work weeknights..

I like how people make money off using their property as car parks.. win for everyone

Guest Ari Gold

Ari, the problem isn't getting to it and all that crap.

I do agree that in the middle of the city isn't the best place for a speedway but it was there first! Full stop.

I wasn't saying it's too hard to access - though there is a distinct lack of public transport options around that area - last I checked, the tram only went so far.

The issue is urban development - I also agree that Eden Park is a retarded place for a stadium, but that seems to have been allowed to continue <_<

Why can't the speedway be under the airports flight path? No one wants to live there, so it's never going to have this issue again! Plenty of parking too.

Signed

A ways back i herd a rumour that if the speedway was to close the land goes back to the family that donated it to the Acc .

This is in the deed-of-gift .

What would the land be used for ...Housing Development most like.

Guest Simon*

More importantly I think Auckland is going to make an absolute failure of the Rugby World Cup. Both semis and the final at Eden Park. There's just no way they'll sort the transport issues - the city will choke to a standstill

More importantly I think Auckland is going to make an absolute failure of the Rugby World Cup. Both semis and the final at Eden Park. There's just no way they'll sort the transport issues - the city will choke to a standstill

As much as i hate to agree with you , ithink we (aucklands will make a complete hass of it )

Ive used the trains for the super 14s last year NEVER AGAIN missed about 20min of the first half of two matches . By the time we went to town then to eden park the hour and a half i gave my self vanished .

I now park in Valley rd and walk .

How about a bit of BS support here ??

Western Springs Speedway In Auckland .

Hi all,

As you may or may not be aware the Auckland City Council is up to its dirty tricks again in trying to get rid of the Speedway at Western Springs.

You may recall all the drama in 2004 when there was the march and also the petition that raised approx. 56,000 signatures in support of the speedway.

The current council has decided to invalidate that petition that was accepted unanimously by the previous council. That means we have to start all over again

The Western Springs speedway club has an online petition going. Please go the link below and add your name - takes less than a minute

Please pass it on to all your mates and anybody else you can get to sign

http://www.speedwayclub.co.nz/signpetition.php

Signed, its a slippery slope. If local govt aint supportin its people there will be war in the streets. If the people rally support then get snubbed, something has to give, progress it is not.

What if someone thinks the volcanoes in Auckland are a bit of an eyesore? Serve no purpose? Like they had one in the first place! There use to be legislation that required buildings to be no higher than the peak of those volcanoes...till skycity and its cash cow concept came along.

Its this functionalists approach that will be the end of us, I say not only keep the speedway, get a bloody drag strip in town too! Everyone will make money!