Sign in to follow this  
sascha

2.7 e30 conversion

Hi guys, i came across this on trademe, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-280711734.htm

Just wondering what work would need to be done? and is it a good idea to get that, or the 2.8 kits that ray is selling here on BS? Any ideas welcomed, bearing in mind the student budget, so cant do anything too pricey!

Cheers

Personally I think stroking is poo, unless you want it as a tow car

M20B25 - 170 kW (120 kW) @ 5800, 215 N·m (158 ft·lbf) @ 4000

M20B27 - 127 hp (91 kW) at 4250, 240 N·m (177 ft·lbf) @ 3250

^^ You've posted the performance figures for the ETA 2.7 engine found in the the 325e and 525e which were built to be a very torquey engine that could cruise comfortably without using a lot of fuel.

The 2.7 conversion everyone talks about uses the block from one of these 2.7 engines with the high-flow head from the 325i or 323i to give a large power and torque increase over the standard M20B25 engine. These can put out 200hp (@ flywheel) or more with a proper tune.

Two completely different kettles of fish.

We have a car in the open class, stroked M20, which is beating some of the E36 M3s now, just ask Andrew. :rolleyes:

I did one on the cheap a couple years ago.. 885 325i head onto a 2.7 ETA bottem end, running motronic 1.3 ecu and a 325i ECU. Just all stock parts put together, pretty much all m20b25 parts except the block was a ETA block with 10.2:1 pistons.

Compared to the m20b20 I had before the swap, the difference is insane.

ahhhh that would make alot more sense then.

I was wondering why everyone is stroking these.

Sounds like a good move then, i probably should of kept my 323 head.

Is there any problems associated with slapping the highflow head onto the 2.7 block?

um i kinda remember hearing somewhere about decking the block as the pistons will not come up as far or something like that.