Sign in to follow this  
dreadful1

chasing someone that's crashed into you?

hey guys,

I was just going to the post office this afternoon and when i was just about to turn out onto the road, some toyota prada wasnt looking where he was reversing and knocked into my rear left wheel guard and there is a little dent and some scratches...

We exchanged details like phone numbers and i got his plate number but i also took photos of his drivers license which were a Tonga license.. then i asked for his insurance details and he said "MTA" so i gave them a call to see if he was with them and it turns out that they arent even a insurance company at all...

his words were "give me a call and bring the car to MY panel beater and we'll fix it up"

to me that doesnt sound too promising because i want my car to be done and fixed properly instead of some cheap arse panel beater who isnt gonna do a good job at it..

he says he does have insurance though.

I just want to hear on members thoughts about how to deal with this.. like i want to take my car to a reliable place to get it fixed up so it doesnt look all messed up with miss paint matching.

How would i get this sorted with the way i want my car to be fixed instead of his.. it is my car that got hit afterall.

thoughts?

(my first time in this situation)

Get his proper insurance details, Ring your insurance company with them and details of the accident and let them sort it.

In my experience you are best to be as removed as possible and let the insurance company deal with him or his insurance company.

Its up to you where you take the car, he has no say in that at all

MTF = Finance. So if hes got finance on the car, he will have insurance.

Yeah i got insurance but my insurance is only 3rd party so would they still deal with it for me?

yeah I should give him a ring and get his proper insurance details instead right?

Thats what 3rd party is man. They crashed into you so as long as they're at fault then they'll deal with it for you, if they're not insured then your insurance company should still pay out a max of about 3k (obviously not necessary in this case).

Thats what 3rd party is man. They crashed into you so as long as they're at fault then they'll deal with it for you, if they're not insured then your insurance company should still pay out a max of about 3k (obviously not necessary in this case).

Can vouch for this working, Had to claim "innocence coverage" on some tard that wrote off my old car.

Nick: ohhh I thought 3rd party was just that they don't care anything about your own car..

The guy just rang me and i asked him for his insurance details but he wouldn't tell me because if he claims it under insurance his insurance is gonna go up or some sh*t. So i just rang the police to ask them for advice and they just told me "too bad he wont give it to you, just ring up your insurance company to see what they say and if they wont deal with it, report it into any local police station and they should deal with it"

That made me feel a tonne better.

Going to eurotech auto panel beaters tomorrow to get a quote on how much it would cost to get it fixed.

Recommend me just going to BMW to get a quote too?

If it is his fault, you let your insurance co know and then they organise to claim the money from him via his insurance or through baycorp but pay for yours to get fixed.

If you know little about this, contact CAB or your community law centre!

Yea, they don't give a sh*t about your car if you crash into someone else and it's your fault. They would then pay for their repairs. But if someone damages your car and its their fault then they will arrange it with their insurance company or if they don't have insurance they will cover you for a small amount (3k in most cases). I don't know if they arrange court dates if they other party won't pay (doubt it).

Ring your insurance, give them his name, address, phone number, licence number etc. All the information you should have taken at the scene and they should be able to track his insurance company down.

He crashed into you so you have every right to know his insurance company so you can claim, too bloody bad if his premium will go up. He should have paid more attention to where he was going.

No point going to BMW man, they aren't panel beaters. They'll just refer you on to precision Autowerks or eurocollision etc.

I would get a quote from your preferred panel beater, tell the guy the $ then give him the choice of paying you up front for the repair. If he declines, then pass it onto your insurance company to handle and then it is his issue.

Maybe this guy is genuine and doesn't want to involve insurance companies (which is possible). At least this way you may both be happy.

ahhh thanks for the help guys.

Yeah but I was just real unhappy when he wanted me to go to his panel beater which I have no idea of the quality of work.

Went to eurotech autos and another panel beater today to get a quote

$824 for eurotech and $461 for the other one haha.

Also rang up my insurance company and they said that since i have 3rd party insurance they aren't gonna help me with anything apart from giving me some advice and that I have to do all the contacting and all this alone..

I hope this guy actually pays up not like when i present him with the quotes he's gonna say its not his fault etc then I would get nothing out of it at all..

Who's your insurance company?? tsk tsk, AA insurance had me sorted when an uninsured driver/car crashed into me, i only had 3rd party but they covered the cost and then claimed it back from him...though after it was repaired i heard nothing more, they did everything!!

Mate I'd be gutted if this happened to me! Hopefully it all works out.

I was wondering what happens re 3rd party if somebody hits me and they have no insurance. I'm with AA so hopefully ok.

I might look to upgrade to full insurance when $$ alows

Edited by e36.

Look up on your insurers website and see if they have innocence coverage. and then ring them again and say "your site says this"

I'm pretty sure the governments made all insurance companies do this <.<

Mate I'd be gutted if this happened to me! Hopefully it all works out.

I was wondering what happens re 3rd party if somebody hits me and they have no insurance. I'm with AA so hopefully ok.

I might look to upgrade to full insurance when $$ alows

From the AA site **And we'll also cover you for up to $4,000 if an uninsured driver crashes into your car. **

for third party so as long as you are not worried about fire or theft you should be ok!

Went to eurotech autos and another panel beater today to get a quote

$824 for eurotech and $461 for the other one haha.

sorry to hear man, guts. eurotech is my neighbour lol (i live next door to one of the owners). I'd go for CRA panel beaters (collision repair association), they do a awesome job and guarentees their work. GL chasing up insurance, and its always a b**ch when the person responsible gives out bs info.

Who's your insurance company?? tsk tsk, AA insurance had me sorted when an uninsured driver/car crashed into me, i only had 3rd party but they covered the cost and then claimed it back from him...though after it was repaired i heard nothing more, they did everything!!

Im with a insurance company called "rothbury" or something. When my parents got theirs they put me on it too... now i want to change to one that is actually recognized and that they actually do sh*t for what we pay them.

The guy rang me up today and I gave him the quote i got for 461 and he said thats way too much and wants me to take my car to his panel beater and get it quoted by him to compare the price.

At the end of the day, its still my choice to which panel beater I choose right?

Sorry to hear Yongxi. It's your right to get your car restored to what it was before. But in this case it sounds like he might try to deny it. If you have a witness or proof of correspondence with him admitting fault it would help. But depending on how bad the damage is I'd consider reaching a mutual agreement - even if it's some cash on his end and you topping it up to get a repair to your satisfaction. It really depends on whether you think its worthwhile pursuing and how likely you are to win.

Post up some pics of the damage?

Yeah that was what i was worried about him denying it but according to him he already contacted the police and his lawyer so he seems pretty legit to pay for it.

Update: met up with him today to get some quotes around the place and went to "panelmech" in new market and got quoted 660 for the work which im quite happy about although I dont personally know what their quality of work is, anyone been there?

but i finally found a picture i can upload of the damage since my computer was down for the past week.

(it doesnt look like much damage at all, just a tiny paint fade a tiny dent but 660 to fix it is quite alot haha!)

Posted Image

I just had some damage in exactly that position( but much worse) fixed on my e36 & retail quote was $600.The panelbeaters my mate so got mates rates lol.

Seems a bit exy but hey you're not paying.

I work for AA Insurance mate and we would definitely help with what we call uninsured driver protection. I believe Rothbury are a brokerage so they will have likely put your business through another company. I would chase them up again and just ask them to find out who he is insured with (you won't be able to do it yourself thanks to the privacy act). You could then call them to say you've been in an accident with one of their clients and put the ball in their/his court.

1rotty: Yeah haha, just a tiny little bit of damage in that area is so costly, probably because they basically have to treat it as any other damage around that area.

Zadkiel: yeah thats what i heard about AA and thats whats so good about them, I'm gonna try convince my parents to switch to AA insurance as they will actually do stuff for what you pay them for...

Update: just bought in my car to panelmech this morning, hopefully getting it done and fixed by saturday!

anyone going down to the whitanga speed festival??

I had my car or two of them with Tower and I have just changed to Crombie Lockwood, the BMW is $350 pa inc GST and the van $366 pa inc GST beats $600 plus for both.