Sign in to follow this  
BM WORLD

e34 530i with a M62B44 & 5spd manual now

got this today .

reg on hold , uk import 180,000miles. calipso red , cloth seats , wood trim , std 15" bbs , flakey clear coat on the right rear

previous owner repleced broken M60B30 engine with a M62B35 engine from a 97 735i and also imported from the usa a 5spd manual box from a 530i V8 etc a light weight ali flywheel fitted with a new bmw clutch.

but has not been able to get it going with the e38 ecu (ews problems )he didn't get the full kit . so then tried with a link computer and no luck there after about 2 years or so .

so i thought i would use a orginal engine loom and get it running on a std 530i or 730i ecu and remap it , or maybe swap the 3.5L chip into a early e38 ecu that has no ews stuff ???

but i also have a 93 540i in black with a stuffed trans , bad paint , no plates (handed in) lowered suspension

grey leather etc .

maybe stick the manual into that car and rereg it .

also i have a spare M62B44 4.4L v8 engine out of a e39 540i

was wanting to do a e36 with this engine and manual ???

but that requires quite a lot of modifacations to the sump , mounts headers etc to make it fit in and work

HHHMMMMMM what to do , and this is in between managing a european car dismantler and running a house hold etc

oh and not to forget rebuilding a m5 engine and super charger my 328i coupe etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

some pics of the black 540i

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shite if I still lived in Auckland I would have worked for parts.

Looks/sounds like you need some more staff.

Build something really special or they are just problems to solve.

I would wreck both of them Brent stick to your knitting that black cars interior is amazing condition, you'll be as big as www.fabdirect.com in no time.

If you plan to wreck it, I shotgun the 5 spd gearbox / fly / clutch :)!

Edited by crazyarab

just a quick update , spent a few hours today hooking up an original e34 540i v8 engine loom and 730i v8 ecu to see if i can get this later model m62 engine to run on the older e34/e32 motronic system , and after a couple of cranks it fired up .

these later m62 v8's have a crank senor mounted on the gearbox picking up on the flywheel teeth .

just temporily hooked this set up . didn't have the O2 sensors or knock sensors hooked up as they had haked up the plugs on the o2 sensor leads and the knock sensors for the m62 have different plugs to the m60 engine loom and i couldn't be bothered lifting the inlet manifold up to swap them over to m60 type knock sensors .

so the engine ran ok (maybe a little lean side as its running with out knock sensors , o2 sensors and a 3L ecu runing a 3.5L engine ) but drove around ok , nice V8 sound with no front cats etc .

revs pick up quickly with the light weight ali flywheel , good bite with the new clutch .

so will be pulling the 3.5L and 5spd out soon to replace with a 3L v8 and auto (returning the car back to normal)

then bolting the manual box up to a M62B44 4.4L v8 i have using a early e38 m60 engine loom from a 740i with no EWS system , and at some stage shoe horn the lot into a e36 coupe or something .

got the plate to go with it already .

post-279-1279348740.jpg

Would be great in an E36 or E46 Touring!!

Edited by E30-323ti

Still a hairdressers car. :ph34r:

Would be great in an E36 or E46 Touring!!

thought about my wifes 328i touring , but she would be mainly using it and probably swap ends in it :D

and didn't realy want to use a e46 beacuse of the extra weight and more complex electronics .

most likely looking at a early 325i coupe as a donar due to not having ews & airbags etc etc and a cheaper donar car rather than ripping apart a good 328i etc ,

post-279-1279360316.jpg

Maybe but it will be a friggin quick hairdressers car AND DONT LET GLENN HEART YOU SAY THAT.

V8 manual e36 Ti = perfection

yes thought of that then you would still be thinking of what david said everytime i jump in to it

Hartge did z3 V8 , z3 coupe V8 and compact V8 back in the 90's

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=23550

decided just to throw in a M62B44 engine into this e34 530i 5spd .

just want to see how it goes , maybe set it up as a track/race car .

have pulled teh 3.5 L v8 out now ,

has brand new nice light weight (13pounds) flywheel and new clutch etc.

so will see how it goes with a 4.4L v8 running on a e34 540i ecu remapped etc .

so will be unresricted like they are in a e39 540i

post-279-1289799065.jpg

post-279-1289799151.jpg

post-279-1289799179.jpg

post-279-1289799201.jpg

post-279-1289799272.jpg

cool!

How restricted are the 4.4's in E39's? would you get quite good gains from a remap?

cool!

How restricted are the 4.4's in E39's? would you get quite good gains from a remap?

i reckon they are about 20-30hp down on what they shpuld be .

std e34 540i 286hp 210kw at 5800rpm 400Nm at 4500rpm revs easily to about 6500rpm

std e39 540i early 4.4L type 286hp 210kw at 5700rpm 420Nm at 3900rpm power sort of stops at 5800rpm with 6100 red line etc

the later vanos 4.4 are better again ,

210 kW (282 hp) @ 5400rpm 440 Nm @ 3600rpm but redline at about 5800

but to many electronic issues to fit one of those into a e34

4.4 v8 is in , mostly hooked up.

just had a couple of issues with the cam sensors and cam timming as i am using a orignal type e34 540i ecu etc and hav eto modify the cam sensor pick up system also fitted a m60 water pump to it and a few other m60 bits .

got it running ( no exhaust sounds pretty cool) . will muck around with the driveshaft and swap the diff for a lsd unit .

should be fun when its all done.

4.4 v8 is in , mostly hooked up.

just had a couple of issues with the cam sensors and cam timming as i am using a orignal type e34 540i ecu etc and hav eto modify the cam sensor pick up system also fitted a m60 water pump to it and a few other m60 bits .

got it running ( no exhaust sounds pretty cool) . will muck around with the driveshaft and swap the diff for a lsd unit .

should be fun when its all done.

Be interested to see how it goes with a 5 speed. been thinking about a 5 speed for mine as a cheaper and easier to get hold of alternative to a 6 speed.

Be interested to see how it goes with a 5 speed. been thinking about a 5 speed for mine as a cheaper and easier to get hold of alternative to a 6 speed.

yes goes quite well took it for its first drive today ,with the exhauts on etc .

pulls really well , i have driven a couple of 540is 6spd manuals , this goes a bit quicker , but with diff change should be quite good ,

have to sort a couple of issues, one being the exhaust system has been hacked up and welded etc and isn't sitting right under the car and bangs the floor when you boot it hard .

so i wnat to swap it out for a better condition unit .

i think i have a front section in my storage ,m but i will also be looking at a rear section from a 540i or 740i etc , as this one is still the smaller 530i rear section .

still has a real nice sound .

just have to refit the bonnet , sap the wheel over for some 17" by 8.5" racing dynamics i have and drop the suspension down on some nice tight sprinsg and shocks or coil overs etc .

also have to look at replacing the std smaller 530i brakes with 540i type or e38 740i type etc .

it has a meduim case 3.15 diff in it at the moment , i was going to fit a diff from a e34 525ix touring which i thought was a LSD 3.15 and it turns out its a 3.38 and has a hydrolic locker system instead of a normal lsd clutch pack , so it has a hudrolic line going into it with p/s fluid being controlled by a hydro electronic unit .

so i dont think i wil bother with that one .

so anyone have a 540i exhaust system ??

lowered springs ,shocks etc for 530i 540i v8

just a small update , being enjoying driving this thing around .

loads of pull with the 4.4L and 5spd .

cleaned it up a bit .

will go in soonish for a little paint etc.

need to get the ac going for summer .

need to get the ecu remapped

changed the steering wheel to mtec II type from a early e36 model

fitted a pioneer deck with blue tooth handsfree and ipod control etc

just swapped the wheels over to some 17" by 8.5" racing dynamics.

gotta get some new shocks and lowering springs soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

some nice BBS 15" alloys and tyres for sale .

Posted Image

Hurry up Brent...shoulda posted here first then the what did you do to your bmw today thread! :P