Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

BMW Driver Training Taupo

Guest Simon*

Put the GF through the Training day at Taupo track 2 over the weekend. Gave me plenty of time to wander round and take piccies and shoot the sh*t. Some nice cars there on the day :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yummy cars! Although I find that e21 pretty horrid. Is the mrs doing handbrakeys everywhere now?

Guest Simon*

Haha I really liked the E21 for some reason. The big Alpina snowplough on the front suited it well - plus every hairpin exit saw him holding a huge smoking powerslide into the 'esses' :D Very entertaining.

It's pretty cool what the day did for her driving confidence actually - she's much happier to chuck the Mk4 everywhere now and keep her foot in it all the way :)

Love the E21, nothing wrong with a snowplough ;)

Nice photos Mr. Paparazzi

Some nice cars is right. Love the Z4 M Coupe, and is that a NZ new 325i SE I SEE?

Did you have a go Simon?]

Edit: Wrote the wrong write, right.

Edited by Apex

I'm seriously keen to do one of these BMW driver training courses. My understanding was that you used BMW's fleet of cars on the track? Here. They are the only BMW courses I know.

What's required to do these days and how much are they? Pwetty please

Guest Simon*

I DO like the Z4 coupes too - can stomach them so much better than the Z3 coupe (I'm sorry but I just can't handle the looks) would do an M3 and put up with the extra weight! :D

Which is the 325iSE Graham? The touring?

And yes, I did a bunch of laps in the Golf. Great wee car :)

It’s not a BMW driver Training day it’s a BMW Car Club Of NZ driver day.. Missus did the proper BMW driving day through work and got a few laps in a CSL back when they were new, im still jealous.

The car next to this monstrosity.

Posted Image

20v GTI's go OK, you can get them going much harder though!

Guest Simon*

I'm seriously keen to do one of these BMW driver training courses. My understanding was that you used BMW's fleet of cars on the track? Here. They are the only BMW courses I know.

No no no! I post it every year, as do others year but the details seem to get lost :D This day is run by the BMW Car Club, not BMW NZ. The day you're talking about is in excess of $350 I think.

The one we just attended is advertised on the BMWCC website and is usually run about the same time every year at Taupo. You register and take your own car. The morning is spent doing training activities. You get split into large groups of maybe 10 or a dozen cars and are sent off to different areas or sections of track. Instructors, and they're usually race series competitors take you through the activity and give instruction. There's a cornering section, timed slalom, emergency braking, etc etc.

The afternoon is then free laps on the track up to 100km/h without helmet and overalls, or faster if you use them. Groups are separated obviously and passing etc is fairly controlled (which is a very good thing). Instructors are available to jump in with anyone at any time for laps and stuff which is an awesome resource. See Brent's thread, he had Racing Ray with him for a set of fast laps - I asked him to hop in with the GF too and he spent a bit of time taking her through the lines and techniques around the track.

Using track 2 the under 100km/h laps are pretty good as it's tight and windy and there aren't many opportunities other than the straights to hit big speeds for MOST cars.

I would thoroughly recommend it to you Nick - it's a lot of bang for the buck and is well run.

What's required to do these days and how much are they? Pwetty please

A car. (with WOF and Rego)

$120. (or $100 if you're a member)

That is all :D

Guest Simon*

The car next to this monstrosity.

Oh yes. That was heavily blinged. Funny smoked tails and headlights and far too big wheels. The E30 I'm talking about

20v GTI's go OK, you can get them going much harder though!

Yeah so I've read. Not really interested in over-tuning it TBH - I'd rather preserve engine and clutch life and it handles itself well at Taupo, even on the factory setup. Besides it's hers not mine and she's really happy with it's performance ;)

Edited by Simon*

gutted i couldn't make it this year, looks like it was a good one.

great to see DHA there ...

Nice work Si that M325 is hot ha. Only did two laps the whole day but Sarah got addicted and really enjoyed it

Edited by M3 Cab

Cheers Si. Appreciate the explainations.

Yes, the BMW NZ one is $600! Which is alright I guess for what you'd get. Get to drive brand new Bimmers, and get an internationally recognised BMW Driver Training certificate. What use it'd be i'd have to get back to you :D

But I didn't realise this one is only $120! That is extremely cheap. Will have to organise for next year.

By the way, looked like a great day. Some awesome M cars there!

Cheers Si. Appreciate the explainations.

Yes, the BMW NZ one is $600! Which is alright I guess for what you'd get. Get to drive brand new Bimmers, and get an internationally recognised BMW Driver Training certificate. What use it'd be i'd have to get back to you :D

But I didn't realise this one is only $120! That is extremely cheap. Will have to organise for next year.

By the way, looked like a great day. Some awesome M cars there!

+1. That's cheaper than a hampton downs open day, without tuition etc!

Definitely marked on my calendar for next year!

Guest Ari Gold

That's Gary's old M50E30 isn't it?

Your photography (editing?) is coming on in leaps and bounds Si!

Edited by Ari Gold