Sign in to follow this  
Parabolica

m52 in e30

Evening,

Just a quick question regarding putting an E36 2.8 into a manual e30 325i.

Is this fairly straight forward? I understand that the sump, oil pickup and dip stick need to be taken off and swapped for ones out of an e34 and assume this is to clear the subframe but im unsure of which model. Also would the manual in the e30 mate up to it easily and be able to handle the power? The plans would be to keep the engine standard. I have been doing a fair bit of trawling around the net and found out a few things but these are the little things that I would like help with clarifying. Would the computer need to be taken out of the E36 as well?

Cheers for any help or advice anyone can give.

Rob

Edited by Parabolica

your in for a hell of a time if you want to retain the engine in the configuration its in now. If you have little patience/time then convert the engine to OBD1. If you want a real challenge with and lots of time and patience, keep OBD2. Im happy to lend a hand if you go for the latter option.

(btw you can click my signature to go to my build thread below if you want. Im just about to update it so come back in half an hour if you want some pointers on wiring)

stay with obd2. its easy to put in aslong as you get the engine, loom, computer, imobiliser module, imobiliser transponder and the key from the same vehicle. and not just part of it.....

you have to fit the e34 6cyl sump, dipstick, you also have to tpeice the dipstick for a crankcase breather hose iirc.

make sure it is infront of either a getrag 260 gearbox or an e36 gearbox, the getrag 240 will bolt up but not as strong. would recomend getting custom extractors made as the factory ones will need to be modified to fit and they are very restricted. you will also need to either get a e36 power steering rack and pump etc or adapt your power steering lines to fit the e36 pump. thats all i can think of off the top of my head

Cheers fellas!

Being mainly from a classic BMW and Ford background im not really up with the play as far as computers and the like go so thanks for pointing out the obd1 vs obd2 differences. Just done some more research on that and now fairly well understand what the deal is.

Basically I have been offered this e36 328i auto with 156,000kms on the clock. Its quite shabby but has great black leather inside and some nice wheels. Was looking at it to strip and I heard of a few people like yourselves putting the engine in an e30 but I was not sure of the exact ins and outs of it all.

My other issue is my 325i is very mint and original and I dont know if i could bring myself to pull out the heavy old anchor and start mucking it around.

Thanks a heap for the information!

Cheers

your in for a hell of a time if you want to retain the engine in the configuration its in now. If you have little patience/time then convert the engine to OBD1. If you want a real challenge with and lots of time and patience, keep OBD2.

CRAP! If you take this advice you are a fool! This bloke always opens his mouth to change feet. PM me and I will tell you how to do it properly and easily. I couldnt be bothered to post a how-to on the forum

Will

Edited by will

Keep your E30 original seeing as how it is mint, its worth more that way.

Pass your 328 onto me so I can do the transplant ;)

Rob.... PM Will and talk to him regarding the swap. Will's car has been finished for some time now and drives fine.

Only talk to people who have actually done this conversion. There is alot of info on the web if you can wade through all the missinformation. You can use your E30 manual gearbox (a little fabrication work required) or you can use the the Getrag 250G with single mass flywheel and clutch assembly from an E36 M42 or M43 car. I'm running that gearbox behind my M52 B28 in the little 318Ti

Edited by *Glenn*

Noob question.... What is obd1 and obd2? I googled it and got nothing

DME operating system

If you use a Getrag 220 you can use your e30 manual driveshaft and shifter linkage and m20 flywheel/clutch assembly so it practically makes the m5x swap a bolt in. Not sure if it's the same story with a 250G though..

e30ftw said:

Rob.... PM Will and talk to him regarding the swap. Will's car has been finished for some time now and drives fine.

Only talk to people who have actually done this conversion. There is alot of info on the web if you can wade through all the missinformation. You can use your E30 manual gearbox (a little fabrication work required) or you can use the the Getrag 250G with single mass flywheel and clutch assembly from an E36 M42 or M43 car. I'm running that gearbox behind my M52 B28 in the little 318Ti

The 250g is a direct fit with clutch & flywheel to the M52 B28, linkages match, gearbox mounts match, driveshaft mix & match and the rear end is E30. Now tell me what I missed out on ?

Evening,

Cheers for all the info regarding the swap however the the guy wanted a bit more than I was prepared to pay for it. I have an e28 2.7 bottom end with a 2litre head and 2.5 manifold built up in the corner of the shed which I have had built for a while that I have been thinking of throwing in instead so will probably go that route. Much easier to reverse back to standard too should I wish to sell later.

Cheers

Rob

CRAP! If you take this advice you are a fool! This bloke always opens his mouth to change feet. PM me and I will tell you how to do it properly and easily. I couldnt be bothered to post a how-to on the forum

Will

Would it be okay if I do the same?... Wouldn't mind hearing some decent advice on this topic.

Keeping my options open for my car...