Sign in to follow this  
blk320i

need help asap

had the car about a week now (88 320i) and it has been running sweet. jumped in it and came home from work ( about 25km), got home and turned if off so i could run upstairs to open electric garage door. jumped back in and went to start it but it did not. it cranked over but idled very low and then stalled, its like it was not getting gas. were i stopped was on a very slight hill and have noticed a few times when i have stopped there and turned it on again the oil check light comes on (have checked the oil and it is fine). please help - wots wrong? its urgent as i need it for work monday to friday and have no other way of getting there.

thanks

poor buddy, gutted and only after a week.

Where abouts do you live might b able to give you a ride in on the way to tech in the mean time.

could be something like:

blocked fuel filter

dead fuel pump

dizzy cap, igniter or something like that dead

i dunno lol

i feel like a complete dumbass now. the long black spark plug holder things mounts have broken off and has just been hanging here causing one of the leads to become loose, by chance would anyone have a spare?

thanks for the help

Clean the airflow meter, make sure the flap is moving freely and not stuck in the full open position (or any position for that matter)

Check that the plug in the side of the AFM is plugged in properly, also if it is, give the terminals a clean and try starting the car again.

The check oil light has a sensor that makes the light come on when it is only a little bit down, so don't worry about it (I assume you are talking about the check oil light in the overhead panel). If it is the oil light in the main dash, then worry...take it to a mechanic as quickly as possible and get it checked out.

Cheers

so the car was running sweet but now it is not. cruised over to the shore this evening and it happened again, ended up having to leave it where it is and getting my flatmate to come and pick me up. any ideas on the $$$ of a tow truck from albany to grey lynn?

a tow truck cos me $40 from my house in mt albert to the mechanic about 3kms away

but im sure it will b like $60 or $80

hmm yea my car has the same problem its quite tempremental really pisses me off

and looked so uncool at the mechanics when it decided to work and start straight up first go lol

do they know whats wrong with it bimmer boy? as i said, mine crapped out the other day and after a few hours it was fine and all day today it was fine, but now its not.

at the moment im hoping its the fuel filter cos i let it run dry once on accident and didnt start after i did that and sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt

but i know i need new spark plugs and i hav a suspision it could b something to do with the fuel pump

cos wen i turn the key on the the 2 postion and how u can here the fuel pump run for a few seconds mine only runs for like 1 second and stops (maybe cos all the fuel is stuck behind the fuel filter and when i do try sart it the fuel consumption thing sways back and forth (dont know if this normally happens when starting up)

but yea hopfully its just the fuel filter *fingers crossed*

at the moment im hoping its the fuel filter cos i let it run dry once on accident and didnt start after i did that and sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt

but i know i need new spark plugs and i hav a suspision it could b something to do with the fuel pump

cos wen i turn the key on the the 2 postion and how u can here the fuel pump run for a few seconds mine only runs for like 1 second and stops (maybe cos all the fuel is stuck behind the fuel filter and when i do try sart it the fuel consumption thing sways back and forth (dont know if this normally happens when starting up)

but yea hopfully its just the fuel filter  *fingers crossed*

True, that doesn't sound right, usually the fuel pump is quite audible and sustained...

Just replace your fuel filter and possibly air filter as you should be doing them every 2nd or 3rd oil change (for peace of mind). bmw servicing will do your air and fuel filters every service 2. You should also replce transmission and diff oils every now and again too along with brake fluid. Preventative maintenance is the shizzle. Do the easy stuff yourself, easy and cheap and reassuring.

In regards to towing, get yourself a roadside rescue from state or a AA membership, if you need a tow you get it free (up to a certain amount per year). I needed a tow when my diff shat itself and locked up the rear, saved me $80 I wreckon, paid off several years of assurance in one hit.

Edited by ///Carl

so i had a moble mechanic come and look at my car and he said it has a faulty feul pump. how much for a new or used fuel pump? how much to get it installed? who do you guys/girls reccommend?

update - i need to rip out the fuel pump myself this afternoon, is this easy to do? do i need to do anything else before i do this? from what i can gather it is located under the rear seats behind the driver under a black oval lid - do i just disconnect the hose and then undo the four nuts and it comes out? will a fuel pump out of a late 70's / early 80's 323i work? need help urgently please

PM Hartage (Ian)

He has an E30 323i car he's selling parts from right now

thanks for the info ///carl but i need it this weekend and i am in auckland. if anyone has one please leave a message or call 0211683067

thanks

nick

Just make sure it is the fuel pump before you go and buy one. Disconnect return hose from FPR then run the pump, after 30 secs you should have at least 875 ml.

And the fuel system changed between 87 and 88, pre 88 have 2 pumps, one transfer pump in the tank and then the main fuel pump. 88 and onwards just have the main pump in the tank.

cos wen i turn the key on the the 2 postion and how u can here the fuel pump run for a few seconds mine only runs for like 1 second and stops

The pump stops automatically after a few seconds if the ECU doesn't get a signal from the airflow meter as a safety measure on some models. ECU assumes that no airflow = engine not running so cuts fuel flow to prevent fire or flooding.

the feul pump is located out of the fuel tank and uder the passenger side rear door. like was said it is quite audible and when the car is running can be heard "humming" simply "clamp/peg" the hose coming out of the tank under the seat like you said and then remove the pump under the car and replace it! firstly text that it's not an electrical problem caused by the heat in the coil. or relay! if your car won't start - take a cable from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil and try again. "rewiring the ignition/bypassing the fuel pump relay" if the car runs fine your electrics are at fault and it either comes down to a new relay, or if you have an alarm/immobiliser that is what might be at fault.

if not the fuel pump is buggered and i have 2 if you want one. they are f%*n noisy if they are poked.

wow i'm quite drunk. did i make sense :drunk:

PROBLEM SOLVED! so after ringing around many bmw dismantlers and being told that it would be near impossible to get a 88 320i fuel pump (in tank) i found one out at european autospares in manukau. i picked it up about half an hour ago and put it in, the car started up straight away - this is the first time i have done anything like this to one of my cars so i am stoked it worked and i did not have to shell out to a mechanic to get it installed. just like to say thanks to everyone that gave ideas.

thanks everyone

nick