Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Group buy - Euro plates

Anyone else interested in possibly getting a europlate. Current price is $252 incl GST and freight but hopefully we could get that down a bit.

Is that for a new plate idea, or to convert your current plate to a europlate?

i wouldnt get rstybm as my number plate ever

i think i would just get my current one put on a europlate

thanks stz.

I didn't mean your plate idea bb, I meant was the price for a new plate idea, or was it just the cost to get my current plate euro-ised. And as my current plate is not personalised, I can think of better places to spend $250.

They take your current plates (unless you dont give them to them :)) and they give you Europlates with teh same number etc on it.

I've seen a couple of guys on here and other cars driving round with 'German' looking plates. Where do you get these? Are the legal?

i could be keen on some euro plate deal,either an upgrade or a personalised ized,but dont even think about a proper bmw euro plate if you think $250 is dear.How does this deal work???

I'll get a rough idea of how many people are interested. Then go to them and ask what they can do for us.

I'll get a rough idea of how many people are interested. Then go to them and ask what they can do for us.

I think you'll find generally nothing .... if it's thru LTAS

Or you could buy them from overseas for a fraction of that cost.

www.europlates.com

Cheers

Can't use them here though, can we, Grant? :P

Um, I thought group buys are meant to make things cheaper, not the same price.

Can't use them here though, can we, Grant? :P

Um, I thought group buys are meant to make things cheaper, not the same price.

Why not, plenty of peple do have them, and I have not heard of anyone having any problems with them.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

I got pulled over last night with a broken headlight - cop never mentioned anything about my german plates.

Just aslong as it has your registration number on the plate, doesn't matter about what the plate itself looks like?

Just aslong as it has your registration number on the plate, doesn't matter about what the plate itself looks like?

There is certain critaria that you'd have to adhere to ... thats what they said when i enquired LTSA about getting Euro plates from oversea's... they said some thing about the reflectiveness too ...

But i don't see how their plates are any different to our plates here ...

I have spoken with LTSA, they aren't legal. Only legal plates are ones issued by LTSA or Personalised plates. It took years for personalised plates to get the deal to supply euro plates. Its bullshit, and i argured with them, but they said

As previously advised, you must use the official registration number plates issued when you register your vehicle. The responsibility is on you to display the official plates in the proper way and although alternatives are common, they are in fact illegal. By definition they are not ‘registration plates’ at all and anyone who uses them risks prosecution.

There is no actual font name, this was drawn up by a draughtsman. I have included information on the plate dimensions which may be of interest to you.

The dimensions for plates are not legislated. Only what goes on them is legislated in the Transport (Vehicle Registration and Licensing) Notice 1995 Clause 2.

Official ones only - Section 14 of the Transport (Vehicle & Driver Registration & Licencing) Act 1986 AND Section 2(2) of the Transport (Vehicle Registration & Licensing) Notice 1995

The Minister prescribes the form and colour of the registration plates, the size, shape and character of the letters, numbers or distinguishing marks to be shown on the plates.

The dimensions of the plates are written and specified/drawn in the manufacturing contract with the Plate Manufacturer (drawings are intellectual property).

Motor cycle plates can be oblong or square and if the agent doesn't have what the customer is wanting then they will need to order the plates from LicenSys.

However, the dimensions for plates are:

GP’s = 360.00+/-0.5mm x 124.0+/-0.02mm

MC Square = 184.50mm x 205.50mm

MC Oblong = 260.00mm x 100.00mm

Trailer = 360.00+/-0.5mm x 124.0+/-0.02mm

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further queries please contact us.

Kind regards

Denise Macpherson

Senior Customer Service Representative

Transport Registry Centre

Land Transport New Zealand

I have spoken with LTSA, they aren't legal.

What may also be of interest is that in Europe plates are read by cameras and not by people which is what they still do here.

This means that in Europe there is almost a 0% chance that the offender will get away from a ticket because the plate cant be read compared to the 20% of plates in NZ that cant be read by a person with a magnifying glass.

Ive seen an MG around Wellington with an Irish euro plate and have certainly looked into getting some euro ones for myself off the web.

The thing is as Personalised Plates get more and more flags and dealer stickers on them as options the less 'exclusive' they make them and the more likely you are to get away with having a slightly different font.

Andrew, Id love to see a picture of your plates, just to compare the fonts.

Cheers

Martyn

Andrew, Id love to see a picture of your plates, just to compare the fonts.

Here is Andrews plate

post-13-1108953253.jpg

Sign in to follow this