Sign in to follow this  
CaM

BMW diesels in NZ

How common are they????

don't see many round except for late model ones, am interested in how many e30s e28s e34s etc there are around.....

No there aren't many. A year or two ago when they got the new 5-er diesel in, the BMW spokesperson said to expect a slow increase of diesel models in NZ. They previously hadn't been brought in as NZers perceived diesels to be smelly, noisy and dirty and they didn't sell. Also, the new diesels couldn't run very well on our high-sulphur diesel. But, with the new diesel, and a change in peoples perceptions, expect an increase in diesel models hitting our shores.

BMW released E42 320 and 330 diesels which both have comparably better stats than their petrol counterparts. You can't spot them that easily unless you see the badge on the back which should have a "d" in it, okay - most diesel stock exhausts point down for some odd reason, like DTM tips flipped vertically.

I wouldn't mind having the 330"d", it's got some really wicked torque stats and is bloody ecocomical all things considered.

E: Actually, they're releasing a 120d diesel here which has better stats than the 120i petrol. That would be the cheapest bmw runabout on the market.

Edited by ///Carl

Guest Spargo

Whats this tdi crap?

They're known as d ----> 330d / 330cd / 530d / 520d / etc

I really really want the diesel motor out of the 740d. Twin turbo 3.5 Yeee Haaa!

There, fixed, wasn't too sure on the badges but knew they had d's in them <_<

Yes, i'm not to sure with the naming either as i'm POSITIVE i've seen a 320tdi

Maybe Sam is a little off today, Sam???

Guest Spargo

Changed with E29 / E46 diesels.

E30 / E36 were known as td, and the sportier ones were tds.

Changed with E29 / E46 diesels.

E30 / E36 were known as td, and the sportier ones were tds.

I've never seen an E30 diesel, did they never release these in NZ???

I would so hit a e34 turbo diesel..... would rule with a KKKturbo running some more boost.... diesels rule.

If i was buying a new bmw I would so buy that diesel cabby

i havent noticed too many e 34 diesels,there are three versions,i would think they would ALL be 2nd hand imports

524td '88-'92 M21 6 - 2443cc 192 km/h 12.9 sec 114hp / 115bhp 162ft.lbs@2400 Rpm 20:1

525td '93-'95 M51 6 - 2499cc 194 km/h 12.9 sec 114hp / 115bhp 181ft.lbs@2200 Rpm 22:1

525tds '91-'95 M51 6 - 2499cc 207 km/h 11.0 sec 141hp / 143bhp 192ft.lbs@2200 Rpm 22:1

If i was buying a new bmw I would so buy that diesel cabby

My list

New M5

E39 M5

E46 M3

E61 645ci

E30 M3

E36 M3

X5 4.4 V8

Diesel maybe

I don't seem to like convertibles

Turbo diesel

Mmmm ;)

I was reading that the new 1 series diesels have about a second difference in a standing 1-100 than a petrol

Weird. B)

I know, My van's turbo diesel and it's hard to go through town without a lady hanging off every possible foothold on it, lucky it's got all that torque to keep me moving, dire consequences could be had should I come to a halt..... maybe if i keep boosting hard instead of pimpin it then they won't be able to latch on, being a diesel I can't have a loosely tensioned blow off valve to ward them off,so speed is a must, but then they might follow me in a ford festiva hatch with "funtop" roof, and jump on the back, maybe if I attach a thornbush on the back they won't be able to do it, that's what I'll do, cool :thumb:

Due to the insanelly high compression .. Diesels have a lot more torque than the petrol motor ... would make sense that its does a standing start faster ...

Since I cannot afford a new BMW I don't have this problem, but i would want to watch these new common rail diesels carefully as they are not old enough to see if they are durable.

Most of the high performance diesels have alloy blocks instead of cast steel blocks. The old diesels had these to withstand the high compression etc, the new ones may not be as strong, and they are subject to even more forces as they are pushed as hard as they can be to get the performance.

So, hopefully by the time I can afford one they have been tried and tested, because if they are durable, I would definately buy the diesel over the petrol.

Common rail is sweet, Exactly the same principal as efi..... it's proven in petrol efi cars 20 odd years ago.

Alloy diesels I don't think would be a problem, they've got away with alloy heads on diesels for quite a while now...

Oh I'm sure you're right, I just don't want to be the guinea pig. Current diesels are often capable of doing over a million kms before requiring a rebuild. I wonder if the new ones will too. They rev way harder, and so that equals more wear etc.

Will be interesting to see how they go.

In the Auto Motor und Sport (couple of months ago) was a test between the e60 545i and the e60 535d.

Guess who teached who a lesson?

I had a white e30 324d (without a turbo) in 1991. The car sounds simmilar to a Nissan Patrol 2.8 Turbodiesel. yes, like a truck. awesome :D

In europe they also had a 524d, but i never understood what the slogan Freude am Fahren had to do with this car. They needed a calender to count 0>100 times

but i never understood what the slogan Freude am Fahren had to do with this car. They needed a calender to count 0>100 times

:lol::lol: roflmao!

Man the media designers at BMW need a boot in the ass.....

Nothing in their brochures makes sense

sh*t like:

Many ideas leave their mark. Only a few transcend their age

Don't forget to turn the page

Always submit to temptation . You never know if you'll get a second chance

I copied this from the 645i sales brochure i got sent from Team McMillan, i must give credit to the designers as well though, because it is all very well set out and nice and there is actually real paint in the brochures.

They are kind of obsessed with water thoguh, like just about every page has sea or rivers or something it, weird cos i always thought (most) cars drive on land.

It also says in the brochure "Freud am Fahren - Enjoying life and movement

That makes sense.