Sign in to follow this  
CaM

LSDs -

I am in the process of setting up a deal on some quaife units, new.

need to know a couple of things....

Are the crown wheels on the diff head removeable on BMWs??

If not, what ratio would people be wanting??

I cant be arsed finding out for myself, alot of you will be abl to answer this off the top of your head

Only people serious about obtaining one of these need reply......

cheers, Cam

Edited by CaM

E28/30/34/36 can all come with a type 188 diff.

(of course there are smaller 168 & larger 210 diffs for some of them also).

The part No. QDF2N2 for the type 188 diff (medium case) & yes the crown wheel can be removed from the carrier.

Last time I enquired they were $1660 from Palmside (+GST +Installation)

And of course I need one!!!

Guest Spargo

(Directed at Glenn) Um, if i were to "acquire" an iS with a small case diff, i could replace it with a larger case unit with a quaife center?

(Directed at Glenn) Um, if i were to "acquire" an iS with a small case diff, i could replace it with a larger case unit with a quaife center?

E30 Yes (you can even bolt in a large case from a E23) & E36 I believe so!

so can you buy a wrecked e36 is or m and use it's lsd? i assume wrecked e36's are not that common but niether are e30's with lsd's!!!!! so worth a try

so can you buy a wrecked e36 is or m and use it's lsd? i assume wrecked e36's are not that common but niether are e30's with lsd's!!!!! so worth a try

Yes!!

Even if you ring the wreaker and ask for ANY BMW LSD you get the same answer, NO!!

fyi e34s i think the 540s and m5 have a diiferent diff(or is that the large case you are talking about?)And the 540 has a very high ratio 2.9 or thereabouts.I think my 535 is 3.64,some of the later autos were 4 .27

The E34's if they had traction control did not have LSD. Not that they need it with the wicked TC.

Hence the 4th fastest time at the Mount sealed Gymkhana with it on.

Thanks cain ^_^ but you have a larger diff than say my 535,quite apart from lsd or not????

There are 3 types of diff.

Type 168 Small

Type 188 Medium

Type 210 Large

I presume the 168,188,210 refers to the crown wheel diameter (mm's).

E30's came with 168's (318/320/323) & 188's (323/325/M3)

E28's came with 188's (M5's & some M535's had a 210)

E34's came with 188's (518-535's) & 210's (535/540/M5)

E36's came with 168's (318's), 188's (most 6cyl's & 3.0l M3's) & 210's (3.2l M3's)

All the ratio's & carriers of each size are interchangable.

Just like Lego.

If anyone has a medium(188) or large(210 preferred) LSD please let me know!!!! I NEEEEEED one!!!

Guest Andrew

I love lego.

Glenn - what happened to the supra diff conversion?

Installation of the quaife unit into the BMW diff is big money anyway from what i've heard.

I love lego.

Glenn - what happened to the supra diff conversion?

Installation of the quaife unit into the BMW diff is big money anyway from what i've heard.

Still on the cards Andrew.

But if a large case LSD came up I'd take it as it would bolt in!!

RE: Quaife installation, it would cost no more than a recon of your stock diff (that would be replacing the bearings etc...), you could prolly DIY it if you were to reuse your old bearings (not really sensable though).

1N STYL:

You need to find out what ratio you have, then fine a lower (numerically higher) ratio diff from another E36 to bolt in!!

Glenn, fyi: the '36 iS got a 188 unit.

as in a 318iS???

According to the ETK they have a Type 168 (small case) diff (so do E36 320's)!

1N STYL:

According to the ETK you should have a 3.07 or 3.46 or 3.91.

So once you find out which one it is, you can look for a higher one.

There should be a tag on the bolted to the rear cover of the diff with the ratio on it.

as in a 318iS???

According to the ETK they have a Type 168 (small case) diff (so do E36 320's)!

1N STYL:

According to the ETK you should have a 3.07 or 3.46 or 3.91.

So once you find out which one it is, you can look for a higher one.

There should be a tag on the bolted to the rear cover of the diff with the ratio on it.

hehe ok i'll go for a crawl :D

but why do i need to know would any 318 dif be a lower ratio

Ok went for a crawl the underneath of the car is sooooooooooooooooo f'n dirty could actually see the dif, the only number i found said 5.1, does any1 have a pic of a dif so i know which part to clean so find the ratio.

Edited by 1N STYL

its the small gearbox looking thing midway between the rear wheels.There will be a numbered tag which will say 3.64 or something.....that is the ratio of your diff

Glenn are you sure the 535 had the large case,i thought the m5 and 540 did but not the 535???

i have a LSD in my 88 535i large case , 3.25 and a 3.65lsd from a 535iA i wrecked to go into my black 535iA which has a 3.65open soon to be LSD .

the wifes (HA HA )even the wifes 86 535iA has a LSD 3.07 . and the same as my 86 M535i which i will convert to 3.45LSD .

i had to buy a bracket from the wreckers to fit to the side of my diff in the E34 and it came from a 540i diff the 525's were to small .

i have a LSD in my 88 535i large case , 3.25 and a 3.65lsd from a 535iA i wrecked to go into my black 535iA which has a 3.65open soon to be LSD .

the wifes (HA HA )even the wifes 86 535iA has a LSD 3.07 . and the same as my 86 M535i which i will convert to 3.45LSD .

i had to buy a bracket from the wreckers to fit to the side of my diff in the E34 and it came from a 540i diff the 525's were to small .

Bastard LSD pimp!!!

Care to send one my way?? I Don't care about the ratio!!!

ok, so according to the etk, using the vin of a car i have access to, (last 7 digit of vin =7571533) it hs an lsd, tag says 3.91 0202..... and jacking it up it's either needing a freshen up or is open, what does the plate suggest, other than 3.91:1 ratio???