Sign in to follow this  
zoom-motorsports

m20 b20 gear box

Yes so long as both are motronic or both are Ljet.

Just make sure if your ecu reads the crank from the flywheel that the new box has the appropriate hole in the bell housing.

Just make sure if your ecu reads the crank from the flywheel that the new box has the appropriate hole in the bell housing.

sweet as the gear box im putting in my face lift e30 is one out of a pre face lift there was now crank sensor on the gearbox atall not sure if my face lift is a flywheel pick up or a crank pully pick up guess il find out on sat when i go up to do the convershion

are you replacing a 260 with a 240? if you are dont forget to take the drive shaft and shifter with you from the 240 car

Facelift will be front pulley, so you should be sweet.

are you replacing a 260 with a 240? if you are dont forget to take the drive shaft and shifter with you from the 240 car

im replacing the auto zf gear box with the manual not sure if its a 260 or 240 will have to have a look but lucky i have the whole car still for all my parts :-) drive shalf pedals pipes etc etc

does any one know if i will have better top end with the auto diff or better take off? or do u think i should swap the diffs over to match the gear box.

You'll have better acceleration ( Im assuming 4.10 or thereabouts) but will be ringing its nuts off at speed.

3.73 seems a good compromise. It'll be 240 out of a 320 I think.

Hint; Dont try & take the whole pedal box out-jst replace the brake/clutch-it requires patience,swearing & beer but its easier

Edited by 1rotty

You'll have better acceleration ( Im assuming 4.10 or thereabouts) but will be ringing its nuts off at speed.

3.73 seems a good compromise. It'll be 240 out of a 320 I think.

oh awsome thanks for that info il keep the mached diff to the gear box incase it is reving to much on the motorway lol

And another hint-when I do the next one I am definitely going to take the drivers seat out to make life more comfortable.

ahh i get you now! still need the DS and shifter though :D

Hint; Dont try & take the whole pedal box out-jst replace the brake/clutch-it requires patience,swearing & beer but its easier

And another hint-when I do the next one I am definitely going to take the drivers seat out to make life more comfortable.

Both excellent tips there! Figured out the seat myself.. but i didnt realise the pedal box came apart till it was out of the car already lolol

oh awsome thanks for that info il keep the mached diff to the gear box incase it is reving to much on the motorway lol

I have a medium case 3.64:1 if your interested... I can also arrange freight down to you as well $250

I have a medium case 3.64:1 if your interested... I can also arrange freight down to you as well $250

stupid question how do i tell if its a 240 or a 260 ?? i had a quick look on it for numbers.

i have a getrag 260 for sale if needed , has the sensor holes so will work with preface lift or face lift .

stupid question how do i tell if its a 240 or a 260 ?? i had a quick look on it for numbers.

check by the output shaft. Both my G240s (one for M40 one for M20) both had it by the output shaft. if its not there check up by the bellhousing on the otherside to where it says either BMW or Getrag. Pretty sure its there on 260s. either way its the last 3 numbers of the part number

if you have another box to compare it to then you will see that the 260s are a bit bigger and heavier...

the gear box is all in and done. :rolleyes: i think the hardest part was removing the old spigot bearing as i didnt have a new one it was mint anyhow.

with the auto diff still in the back it feels a tad slow like the motor revs to much for the speed of the car might have to change it for the manual one next weekend.