Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Pairing New Master Key ? SOLVED !

Courier dropped off to me yesterday ex Jeff Grays a new Master key ( $$$$$$$$$ !! ) for my 2002 530i touring.

I have spent most of last evening trying to pair the remote with the car, but to no avail.

They have sent me a 3 Button Diamond shaped 433.92 Mhz Key - is there any way to tell if this is the correct unit? My VIN ends in GL81438

I have done the Unlock door, key in iginition, Hold Unlock and Press lock 3x LOTS of times!!

Have even tried any other sequence I can find on the internet, but to no avail.

As the key is brand new, do I need to use it for a while to recharge the battery?

I am off to CHCH ( 160km ) tommorrow, so will try the sequence after that drive :)

Unless somebody can suggest anything else ?

BTW - Does anybody know if Jeff Greys CHCH are open on Saturdays?

Cheers

Greg

Edited by camera doctor

Try giving the key a charge first and see what happens. Could be a faulty key although I've never had one. If it starts the car, it is the right key. You may also have a problem with the receiver or a wiring fault.

BTW - Does anybody know if Jeff Greys CHCH are open on Saturdays?

Cheers

Greg

Pretty sure he's open saturday morning.

Real OEM lists 315 Mhz and 433 MHZ

REALOEM

I have been sent 433 Mhz - how can I confirm this is correct for my car?

Just rang Jeff Grays, they reckon their system says it is the correct MHz for my car.

They also said if previous owner had paired more then 9 keys, there are no slots left in the EWS, so I need to bring it in to them to check and clear.

Unfortunatly they are not open on Saturdays, so looks like a day trip to CHCH at some stage soon.

I will post results, as may help others. :)

Big thanks to Glenn for his time on the phone this morning :) :)

Took car into Jeff Greys CHCH Saturday, mechanic could not pair key either

He plugged car in and said there were no faults in memory

Tried another key, no luck there either

Says I need to book car in for further diagnoisis and repair, may be a fault with the receiver on the rearview mirror or something.

Bugger !!! I smell $$$$$

Oh well :(

It's just a E39 what else would you expect isn't technology/electronics great. Yeah right :D !

Just rang Jeff Grays, they reckon their system says it is the correct MHz for my car.

SOLVED !!!!!!

Thanks to sammcj and his mate Ross ......

Turns out despite Jeff Grays assuring me they has got me the correct key, my car is IR not RF !!

Paired the key for my 540i which is IR and it works 100% !!!

Big email to Service Manager at Grays later, I have the correct key in transit at no extra charge ( as well it should be, as they have already stung me for TWO WRONG KEYS )

I guess the answer here is not to trust the dealer - do the research yourself first, as their manufacturers database is obviously not perfect - seems strange to me - surely Germany would record all spec against the VIN ??

Oh well, all's well that ends well --- Bimmersport is an awesome thing !!

SOLVED !!!!!!

Big email to Service Manager at Grays later, I have the correct key in transit at no extra charge ( as well it should be, as they have already stung me for TWO WRONG KEYS )

Hope they are going to reimburse you for the two wrong keys.

SOLVED !!!!!!

Thanks to sammcj and his mate Ross ......

Turns out despite Jeff Grays assuring me they has got me the correct key, my car is IR not RF !!

Paired the key for my 540i which is IR and it works 100% !!!

I guess the answer here is not to trust the dealer - do the research yourself first, as their manufacturers database is obviously not perfect - seems strange to me - surely Germany would record all spec against the VIN ??

FFS - Surely Dealers & BMW Germany should know that Jap spec cars run IR system. Going by the VIN will tell them the original market of the car.