Sign in to follow this  
c.robertson00

E30 M20b20 No Spark!

My E30 Series 320i has no spark. Its a pre/fl L-Jet. Its got a new dizzy cap and new rotor which it was running with last time it was started. Ive tried a different coil which I know is good. Ive triple checked every connection in the engine bay.

Its got me stumped and I know next to nothing about electrics. I'm sure it cant be anything to major. What other things should I check?

Its got a new dizzy cap

Thats me out of ideas :lol:

could be a few things... igniter module sitting on the firewall about 5cm by 5cm with 2 plugs in it, slightly to the left of the center. check that. check for power to the coil as said above when ign is on... check to see if spark is coming out of the coil and check the coil to dizzy lead is ok.. if there is no spark at all then it will be something to do with the low current side of the circuit or something around the coil.. it wont be the dizzy. but just check the leads anyway. check to see if you have fuel also. if not then mabey a faulty ecu.

could be many more things but thats the 1st things to try... have you done any work on the car since it last ran?

could be a few things... igniter module sitting on the firewall about 5cm by 5cm with 2 plugs in it, slightly to the left of the center. check that. check for power to the coil as said above when ign is on... check to see if spark is coming out of the coil and check the coil to dizzy lead is ok.. if there is no spark at all then it will be something to do with the low current side of the circuit or something around the coil.. it wont be the dizzy. but just check the leads anyway. check to see if you have fuel also. if not then mabey a faulty ecu.

could be many more things but thats the 1st things to try... have you done any work on the car since it last ran?

Just a point... the Igniter module could also be on the front right inner guard, up by the relay(s) and the Airflow Meter (mine was, so guess some cars were different?)..

might sound realy stupid and it cought me out check the possitive battery terminal and that the ecu wire that bolts to it is tight mine was loose it would turn over but not fire took me ages to find this and i couldnt beleave it lol

Cheers guys Ill have a look at all of them tomorrow and the car hasn't been touched since it was running. Ill check that the igniter module is earthing properly as we had that problem when the car was painted so the connection could have turned to sh*t