Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

What's your thoughts...

Thanks to Glenn from Botany Motorworx (Legend!!!), I finally had my car diagnosed properly, and the annoying vibration that no-one could find, was traced to the universal joint, and rubber disc on the driveshaft. Instead of having the driveshaft recond, I was just going to have a manual conversion done, seen as I prefer a manual anyway (and this one is a Jatco Auto).

Some people say the car is not worth converting seen as it is a 320, so just sell it and buy a manual 325 or something bigger, and some say seen as the car is in really good nic, nice paint job etc, and has only done 117xxx kms (imported) that it would be, so i'm unsure. I really wouldn't mind a genuine Beema (NZ new), but don't have a lot of experience with BMW's.

So, I am after people's opinions/experience, taking into consideration power/economy, is it worth getting a manual conversion done, or better off selling this one off and buying a manual one? Oh and the car is a 1997 E36 320i sedan, import.

Cheers

Economically speaking,with some patience & careful shopping around,you're probably better off trading up to a 325/328 manual.

I guess a conversion would cost u a minimum of $1500 ish.( a 328 convo is around $2k )If u cant do it yourself.

PM some of our sponsors & get some prices.

325s are pretty cheap now-depends on yr budget tho.

Re going to Glenn. Well done,There are a stack of very helpful people on the forum & you've obviously figured those who should be listened to.

Economically speaking,with some patience & careful shopping around,you're probably better off trading up to a 325/328 manual.

I guess a conversion would cost u a minimum of $1500 ish.( a 328 convo is around $2k )If u cant do it yourself.

PM some of our sponsors & get some prices.

325s are pretty cheap now-depends on yr budget tho.

Re going to Glenn. Well done,There are a stack of very helpful people on the forum & you've obviously figured those who should be listened to.

Yea that sounds about right ay. I have had a couple of prices and theyre both around $1850 - $2000 which I thought was pretty reasonable. I've had the car for maybe 2 or 3 moths now done around 8000kms in it. There are also a couple of niggly things that annoy me aswell and I spose its not worth spending all this money on it really just being a base model. Been looking for a while now and hopefully if I'm patient I may be able to pick one up for around $8000-$9000. How do the 328's stack up against the little 320 regarding parts cost? Or are they roughly the same?

Are you talking 328 for $8-9k ? That would be right up at the top end I would have thought.

A friend just bought a 90 e36 325 manual,130ks,nz new-very tidy apart from some minor panel damage for $2700.

Not had any experience with 320s but I imagine parts to be very similar.

Are you talking 328 for $8-9k ? That would be right up at the top end I would have thought.

A friend just bought a 90 e36 325 manual,130ks,nz new-very tidy apart from some minor panel damage for $2700.

Not had any experience with 320s but I imagine parts to be very similar.

Oh really? I was hoping to get another one about the same era as my 320i (1997), there is one there but its motorsport, our local mechanic said motorsport is a hell of a lot more expensive to fix than standard is this true? Sorry for noob questions just not too familiar with motorsport.

Bulls**t.I dont think an M-sport would be noticeably dearer to own.

Put up link to the one you're looking at.

This looks nice but I still think $9k is too much.

Maybe some of the e36 boys might offer an opinion. :P

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-290096413.htm

Edited by 1rotty

I suggest you seriously get a new local mechanic!

A 328i Motorsport will cost no more than a standard 328i to fix.

The diff between the two are purely cosmetic bar the suspension from memory.

IMO I'd be selling up and buying a factory manual but all depends on the cost to change.

A manual conversion will be between $1500 - $2000

Listen to this man.......................................he's from HB too LOL

I suggest you seriously get a new local mechanic!

A 328i Motorsport will cost no more than a standard 328i to fix.

The diff between the two are purely cosmetic bar the suspension from memory.

IMO I'd be selling up and buying a factory manual but all depends on the cost to change.

A manual conversion will be between $1500 - $2000

Na, our local mechanic is bloody good ay, Just doesn't like beema's very much, I asked the opposision local (bad choice i suppose), seen as he had a lot of experience with european, and thats where i got the info, he said the electronics is a nightmare?? I really didn't think there was anything mechanically different. But yea I think I'll be fixing the driveshaft in this one and selling it off.

Oh and sorry 1Rotty the one I was looking at was NZ new M sport 1997 but auto (better then jatco i suppose), looks to have a reserve of $7500 137,000kms. It's a nice car but would be more interested in manual, there are a few but high milage.

The electronics are NOT a nightmare any more than any beemer & are no different in an m-sport than any other 328.

And personally I wouldnt get too stressed about mileage.170k + in a well maintained 13yr old 328 is nothing!!!...IMO

The electronics are NOT a nightmare any more than any beemer & are no different in an m-sport than any other 328.

And personally I wouldn't get too stressed about mileage.170k + in a well maintained 13yr old 328 is nothing!!!...IMO

Yea well thats good, a challenge with electronics is fun :rolleyes:

Yea, NZ new atleast it should have been serviced properly. When I was looking for my first beema, (all imports) they all had the signs of the 'no oil change' syndrome from japan. Even the one I have now is like that, but no where near as bad as some.

^^ Totally agree with you Mark.

As I said, speak to someone who knows what they're talking about, like Glenn.

The mechanics you have been talking to seem like they have no idea what so ever.

When it comes down to it, who found the fault in your car after having all that trouble.....?

^^ Totally agree with you Mark.

As I said, speak to someone who knows what they're talking about, like Glenn.

The mechanics you have been talking to seem like they have no idea what so ever.

When it comes down to it, who found the fault in your car after having all that trouble.....?

Sorry to start this one up again, but can you tell me what difference there is between the jap import, and the NZ new BMW's? (Apart for the gearbox issue). Is there any difference in the suspension? Or the make-up of the car?

Sorry to start this one up again, but can you tell me what difference there is between the jap import, and the NZ new BMW's? (Apart for the gearbox issue). Is there any difference in the suspension? Or the make-up of the car?

i am not going to offer info on the jap/nz issue,but i guess the mechanic you were talking to was confusing Motorsport with the real M cars(ie m3 m5 etc...)parts for M cars are more expensive than the run of the mill models.The idea of Msport is they "imitate the real M cars

Edited by kiwi535

i am not going to offer info on the jap/nz issue,but i guess the mechanic you were talking to was confusing Motorsport with the real M cars(ie m3 m5 etc...)parts for M cars are more expensive than the run of the mill models.The idea of Msport is they "imitate the real M cars

Oh well thats good then, wish I had known that before I purchased this one lol. He doesn't speak too good english,and he was more of an audi man himself. Thanks for clearing that up though, its good to talk to people who actually know what they are talking about lol

I believe the genuine Motorsports had the M suspension and the M bumpers and skirts.

There is no difference in the suspension of a jap 320 and a NZ new 320, if it has an on board computer that may be different i.e just a check control and clock on the jap ones.

What sort of a budget do you have

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-290586134.htm

or any of these

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAt...amp;searchbar=1

plus any more that might be for private sale.

The bmw range can be a little difficult to understand when first starting out but as you have found out talk to people who know their stuff ie Glenn and others on here and they will give you the info needed to steer you in the right direction.

Quote "With no Bull and very little moo larr"! LOL

What sort of a budget do you have

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-290586134.htm

or any of these

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAt...amp;searchbar=1

plus any more that might be for private sale.

The bmw range can be a little difficult to understand when first starting out but as you have found out talk to people who know their stuff ie Glenn and others on here and they will give you the info needed to steer you in the right direction.

Quote "With no Bull and very little moo larr"! LOL

I had most of those ones on my watchlist lol, I was really keen on that green 'ACEBMW' NZ new one thats on there, but its all the way in Christchurch. I think I'll just have to be patient and keep an eye out, I'd rather get an NZ new one rather then another import, mostly for service reasons (people actually service them in NZ :rolleyes: )

(people actually service them in NZ :rolleyes: )

Ha, don't be so sure about that.