Sign in to follow this  
5amchris

Price of a full car re-spray?

297 Montrealblau Montreal Blue Metallic Blue 51 91 1 052 340

just a odd number will do just want to know what i need to save next pay/s

1996 4 door E36

Varies wildly, 2k will get you a mates rate cashy with little in the way of repairs. 4k will be an approx standard price with a few small repairs, 6k+ if you want inside boot, door jambs and need rust removal and dent fixing.

Depends on condition of car and quality desired.

If youre in auckland give me a PM :D

I had mine done by a guy who works for himself.. Roughly 1.5k for a full repsray inside and out, engine bay , door jams etc all panel and prep'd, was heaps of dents especially in the roof..

low key customs porirua charged me 2k for full body respray, less door jams, fitting and painting bodykit, removel of some rust, take dents out of just about every panel, and sills.

3 letters

DIY

Will save you plenty of $$ and what you will learn will be invaluable down the track...my 0.2 :rolleyes:

its a steep learning curve though.. especially without someone to teach you or show you how its done in person...

1 mistake will cost you dear !!.. when i started i had to redo numerous times .. and base coat aint cheap...

btw.... to DIYers where do you guys get your paint?? i think my local paint shop is overcharging... charging me 200+ for a 1L mix of bmw black metallic PPG...

That's true but plenty of youtube vids now you can watch!

My first time i had to redo my car twice as first time i thinned it too much then 2nd time i never wet sanded enough...lessons lived and learned.

200 slides does sound like a lot of $$ for a litre, when i painted my Subby i got a litre metalic pearl black for about 130 from Wrens down here.

its a steep learning curve though.. especially without someone to teach you or show you how its done in person...

1 mistake will cost you dear !!.. when i started i had to redo numerous times .. and base coat aint cheap...

btw.... to DIYers where do you guys get your paint?? i think my local paint shop is overcharging... charging me 200+ for a 1L mix of bmw black metallic PPG...

Which ppg line?

My last bill was 800 ish for 4l primer, 2l base, 4l clear.

Also bear in mind where I got my stuff the 4l was only just over double the price of the 1l's.

Edited by andrewm

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering where do you guys do your painting? Do you paint in your own garage or do you hire a place? Cheers

In the garage, hose it down, let it dry out a bit so it isnt too humid, clear plastic drop sheets everywhere and use a side door for ventilation. Use a good chemical mask.

Every so often booths pop up on TradeMe to hire so always worth a check on there. Fair pricing as I recall.