Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

E36 issue

Hey guys,

After my 200sx got stolen, I'm looking at an e36 328i to replace it .I took one for a drive over the weekend and I notice that when I drove over a cats eye, grate, or just just hole/bump it the road, the rear of the felt like it stepped sideways then carried on as usual.

It's the second one I have come across that does that and the only thing I can think of that they have in common is that they have been lowered.

Any one experianced this before or know what it is?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gaz

Dunno... all the E36's I've driven haven't done that.... perhaps drive a bone stock one and see if it still happens?

Well yea, my old one was fine and that was stock so I really don't know.

If they were both lowered ... maybe excessively... they might have been bump steering off the rear bumpstops. Mine did that because the rear shocks weren't shortened properly (all fixed now) or maybe both cars had badly worn rear suspension bushes

Mine used to do that.

I would drive over a cats eye and it would do this weird sidestep action, hard to describe but I knew something was up, and it only did it on one side. There was no funny noises or anything. It turned out tht the previous owner had replaced the rear wheel bearing and had not done it up properly. Maybe check that?

Hey guys,

After my 200sx got stolen, I'm looking at an e36 328i to replace it .I took one for a drive over the weekend and I notice that when I drove over a cats eye, grate, or just just hole/bump it the road, the rear of the felt like it stepped sideways then carried on as usual.

It's the second one I have come across that does that and the only thing I can think of that they have in common is that they have been lowered.

Any one experianced this before or know what it is?

Thanks in advance.