Sign in to follow this  
SteveK

E46 M3 Rearview mirror problem

Hi,

I've been having a problem with the automatic dimming feature of my M3 rearview mirror for a while and for the life of me can't figure out why it wouldn't be working. I was working a while ago, but have noticed lately that it doesn't seem to be, or maybe it's just my imagination.

Does anyone know of any issues that there may be with this feature. I have a brief understanding of how this feature works, some kind of electro chromic technology that send a charge through the mirror at certian conditions of light. Just seems like this elctric charge isn't working anymore.

Thanks for your help!

Put a big plastic bag over the mirror NOW!!! Or lay a big towel down around and near the mirror.

It'll start to leak mercury or some crap shortly and destroy your interior (I am serious). This is a known issue with the auto dim mirror (especially if park under the sun a lot)

There's an outfit in the USA that does a re-engineered mirror for a fee. I had mine replaced before anything happened.

Email me and I'll email you the details as to how to get a remanufactured mirror (you want this one and not a BMW replacement one as they still use the old chromatic technology and they will ALL leak eventually) The remanufactured ones uses an all electric system, so nothing leaks out of the mirrors - works exactly the same if not BETTER than the original BMW ones.

p.s. a brand new BMW rear view mirror is like $8XX + GST.

The remanufactured ones are US$75 + shipping. And you send the old leaking one back.

Edited by M3_Power

Here's who you email: (I can email you the form)

http://www.sybesmas.com/home.html

stacy@sybesmas.com (sometimes it'll be Bekki that replies - she's Stacy's assistant)

Their reply email will be:

Thank you for contacting us. The cost for a mirror exchange is $75.00 plus shipping/handling to the United States. If you reside outside of the USA, please contact us for pricing. You will be required to return the defective mirror and a pre-paid label will be provided for you to do so.

Please note that we do not support mirrors with the home link option.

The attached form will need to be completed and pictures of the following will need to be included for us to determine what mirror it is that you are in need of.

-Front and rear views of the mirror

-The plug (number of pins and wire colors are helpful)

-The mounting bracket located on the windshield

You may send payment via email when your order is submitted otherwise, we will contact you when you mirror is ready to ship for that information.

Do not open the black casing surrounding the mirror as this will cause damage and the unit will no longer be valuable as an exchange and you will be charged the full purchase price of $200.00.

Thank you,

Sybesma’s Electronics

616-392-6911

You'll need to take the mirror off the windscreen - if you don't know how email me (aviemore.tom@xtra.co.nz) - you'll need to email them photos of the wiring and the plug (as there's quite a few version of this mirror (5 from memory) - I have a feeling you might not need to anymore and can simply give them the part number on it).

The whole process takes about 2 weeks to complete (they'll take a bond on your credit card and send you the new mirror with a return number - the bond is refunded once you post back your old mirror to them).

The remanufactured mirror is just like new and works brilliantly.

Here's the form to download and fill out:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/attachment....mp;d=1269282820

Here's how you remove the mirror:

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mirror/pics/TIS_51_%2016_060.pdf

Edit: Just found my old correspondence with Sybesmas - the total cost of the remanufacture mirror with shipping was US$175 (one that will never leak) - and they only ship via fedex or UPS, not USPS unfortunately.

They are a very efficient and easy company to deal with by the way.

A little background on the mirror issue:

The mirror is manufactured by Magna Donelly and the issue first appeared in E39 5 series. Magna Donelly originally started replacing these for cars outside of the BMW warranty for a shipping charge and then eventually the whole warranty remanufacturing process was taken over by Sybesmas in the USA.

It'll melt interior trim and damage quite a few things (including seats when it leaks/explodes) - so cover it up when you start to see yellow or lines or streaks in the mirror face.

When it starts leaking:

Posted Image

What it can do:

Posted Image

Edited by M3_Power

Here's a fellow Aussie's post on m3forums and the process:

I am in the middle of getting my mirror replaced too (waiting for the replacement to arrive). For the wiring, I labelled my pictures (see #5 and #6 below) with numbers:

1 Pink*  6 Black
2 Light Green** 7 Red
3 Purple 8 Yellow
4 Dark Green 9 Pink 
5 Brown*** 10 Light Green
* This pink wire at #1 is coming from the pink wire at #9. The pink wire from the back of the mirror goes into #9, then back out of #9 into #1

** This light green wire at #2 is coming from the light green wire at #10. The light green wire from the back of the mirror goes into #10, then back out of #10 into #2

*** There seems to be 2 brown wires coming from the mirror #5.

These are the photos i sent to them:

Photo 1 - liquid inside mirror

Posted Image

Photo 2 - Back of mirror

Posted Image

Photo 3 - Plug from car

Posted Image

Photo 4 - Plug from mirror

Posted Image

Photo 5 - Wiring (numbers 1 to 5 as described above)

Posted Image

Photo 6 - Wiring (numbers 6 to 10 as described above)

Posted Image

Photo 7 - Rain sensor and mounting bracket on window

Posted Image

And for anyone who wants photos on how to remove the mirror... It is very easy and been described before, but here are a few pics to help too:

1) Split the cover over the rain sensor down the middle. Photo below shows one side on, one side removed.

Posted Image

2) Then just disconnect the 2 wires. One to the rain sensor and one to the mirror (both disconnected in this pic).

Posted Image

3) Turn the whole mirror at the arm where it is attached to the window counter clockwise (dont turn just the mirror itself). It was a little bit stiff, but not difficult to turn. You can see in "photo 2" above, the back of the arm where it mounts to the windshield.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for explaining this to me Tom, was great to chat to you as well. Don't we just live in a small world? You made me realise that I have an even more unique car now. You'll see how well it's been looked after.

I'll send the email to those guys in the USA you suggested and we'll have a look at this together, hey.

Cheers!

hey

this happened to me as-well ,i didn't get it leaking every where tho.....just got a big air bubble in it

quote to get a new one was $1300

did my own DIY ....cost me $20

Hi,

I've been having a problem with the automatic dimming feature of my M3 rearview mirror for a while and for the life of me can't figure out why it wouldn't be working. I was working a while ago, but have noticed lately that it doesn't seem to be, or maybe it's just my imagination.

Does anyone know of any issues that there may be with this feature. I have a brief understanding of how this feature works, some kind of electro chromic technology that send a charge through the mirror at certian conditions of light. Just seems like this elctric charge isn't working anymore.

Thanks for your help!

I have a mirror ex a 2003 330i jap import, the auto dim function is ok but the remote locking reciever is not functioning. This is not an issue on cars that are not ex Japan as their recievers are mounted in the rear window (unless they are convertables). Yours for $50, I'll refund if its no good for you. If you are interested let me know,

I have a mirror ex a 2003 330i jap import, the auto dim function is ok but the remote locking reciever is not functioning. This is not an issue on cars that are not ex Japan as their recievers are mounted in the rear window (unless they are convertables). Yours for $50, I'll refund if its no good for you. If you are interested let me know,

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but can you help me with info about this - my 2003 530i Touring has a fault with the remote locking - Jeff Grays guy said it may be the mirror receiver - so do I need to get a Japan specific mirror ?

I am guessing new part would be $$$$$ ex BMW, but there are plenty on Ebay for US $50 - $100 -- do you know if the USA mirrors would work in Japanese car?

If any of the Dismantlers ( Brent / Ray etc ) are willing to let me try a mirror on a return basis ( I'll pay freight of course ) that would be great !! Save me paying $$$ for Jeff Grays to try the same thing !! :)

Hi mate. Thanks for your offer, but I will have to decline. I'm very fussy about my M3, and it's a very rare NZ new model, so I don't really need any Jap imports parts on it. If it's from a 330i, then it probably won't be the same as the M3 mirror.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but can you help me with info about this - my 2003 530i Touring has a fault with the remote locking - Jeff Grays guy said it may be the mirror receiver - so do I need to get a Japan specific mirror ?

I am guessing new part would be $$$$$ ex BMW, but there are plenty on Ebay for US $50 - $100 -- do you know if the USA mirrors would work in Japanese car?

If any of the Dismantlers ( Brent / Ray etc ) are willing to let me try a mirror on a return basis ( I'll pay freight of course ) that would be great !! Save me paying $$$ for Jeff Grays to try the same thing !! :)

Sounds like the same problem I had - Jeff Gray originally convinced me to buy a new key ($400 I think) and then told me it was a mirror fault after this didn't work. New mirror was quoted at $1,400. They were very helpfull in trying to track down a second hand unit but no joy after a number of months. I eventually brought a mirror ex the US, you will need a convertable unit as the US sedans and coupes use the rear window antenna/FM reciever as per NZ. PM me if you would like some more info

Greg, yes you do need a Jap one - they have IR receiver in the clown nose. Other markets don't.

Greg, yes you do need a Jap one - they have IR receiver in the clown nose. Other markets don't.

Grant - it is the Touring, so it will be RF not Ired ?? Hope so, cause Jeff Grays sold me a 433.92 MHZ key !!

Will the EX usa ones off 3 series convertible be OK ?

Ta