Sign in to follow this  
E36 M

E46 Motorsport Lowering

Hey All

Just bought a e46 318 1999 M Sport a while back, I put some Tien springs in it and it sits 104mm off the ground, but the top of the tyre is still visible, wich i wasnt trying to go for. Ive seen cars on trademe with the top of the tyre being underneath the guard wich i like the look of, and they say there ride hight is legal? How is this possible?

Thanks

Hey All

Just bought a e46 318 1999 M Sport a while back, I put some Tien springs in it and it sits 104mm off the ground, but the top of the tyre is still visible, wich i wasnt trying to go for. Ive seen cars on trademe with the top of the tyre being underneath the guard wich i like the look of, and they say there ride hight is legal? How is this possible?

Thanks

Post a picture, and alot of people lie on trademe saying there car is legal hight.

This is what the car looks like atm...

post-3157-1274230794.jpg

looks pretty low to me. Don't forget the front guards are cut higher than the rear so that is why it won't "tuck" at the front.

looks pretty low to me. Don't forget the front guards are cut higher than the rear so that is why it won't "tuck" at the front.

Oh yeah i dont expect them to at the front, i was just browsing through trademe and saw a few that were quite low, alot lower at the back than mine and was like how? And they said they have just passed a warrant etc... beats me!

i was just browsing through trademe and saw a few that were quite low, alot lower at the back than mine and was like how? And they said they have just passed a warrant etc... beats me!

All lies, and if cars you looked at comes from north shore and is low on chromes saying work done at mts performance... Its just on cut springs

Edited by Mash

tip: If you want to have a lower look on your car, dont go lower and ruin the hadling and screw the compression travel length, get bigger wheels and lower profile tires (19x8.5fr 19x9.5 rr). It will fill the gaurds better and actually give you the look your trying to achieve. That and run correct offsets.

With out sounding like a whinge, I can't beleive time and time again how people get it so wrong constantly by thinking that lowering the car will make it look better when all you want its filled gaurds and stance without all the horrible side effects.

tip: If you want to have a lower look on your car, dont go lower and ruin the hadling and screw the compression travel length, get bigger wheels and lower profile tires (19x8.5fr 19x9.5 rr). It will fill the gaurds better and actually give you the look your trying to achieve. That and run correct offsets.

With out sounding like a whinge, I can't beleive time and time again how people get it so wrong constantly by thinking that lowering the car will make it look better when all you want its filled gaurds and stance without all the horrible side effects.

Haha sweeet, that answered my question, I went to Hyper Drive in Penrose and the dude said yeah ill compress your springs, shorten your shocks, roll your guards and cert it for 2grand, i said oh, pass. Would rather spend that sort of money on a lil E30 or something, i aint going 2 lower it any more, was just wondering how these people get it 2 look incredibly low without going 2 overboard. Shot

Haha sweeet, that answered my question, I went to Hyper Drive in Penrose and the dude said yeah ill compress your springs, shorten your shocks, roll your guards and cert it for 2grand,...

I really can't believe a professional suggested compressing springs ..

So lets break that down, compress springs and screw the rate = $100

roll guards about $200 of time (shouldnt have to if you get the right offset)

shorten shocks = 100 per shock ($400)

+ time = 2 / 3 hours $200

Cert = $450

I dont see 2k in that.

Dont mean to sound wank (posting this to help) .. but this is mine on KWv2 'coil overs' and worked hard on getting the perfect offset. 19 inch wheels look best on an e46 for the wheel arch.

Posted Image

I really can't believe a professional suggested compressing springs ..

So lets break that down, compress springs and screw the rate = $100

roll guards about $200 of time (shouldnt have to if you get the right offset)

shorten shocks = 100 per shock ($400)

+ time = 2 / 3 hours $200

Cert = $450

I dont see 2k in that.

Dont mean to sound wank (posting this to help) .. but this is mine on KWv2 'coil overs' and worked hard on getting the perfect offset. 19 inch wheels look best on an e46 for the wheel arch.

Posted Image

Try this

Cert = $500

Compressing Springs = $150 a set

Shortening Shocks = $250 a set

Rolling Guards = $250

Labour = $250

Pretty darn close, So my next theory is 2 just keep the car as it is, save up for an e46 wagon and sack it!

Ezy g, out west.

He certed my old old e46 at this hight for 1300.

Sorry for stupid photo, only resized photo i have....

Give him a call, as i guess you wouldn't want to go that low.

So could be cheaper.

(Didn't use compressed springs)

post-2991-1274265124.jpg

Edited by Mash

Ezy g, out west.

He certed my old old e46 at this hight for 1300.

Sorry for stupid photo, only resized photo i have....

Give him a call, as i guess you wouldn't want to go that low.

So could be cheaper.

(Didn't use compressed springs)

If that was certed with springs instead of bags the certifier needs to get another job. That car should not be on the roads at the height. There is absolutely no spring travel for safety.

Haha sweeet, that answered my question, I went to Hyper Drive in Penrose

We are in Penrose too. Next time pop you are over this way pop in and say hi. We always like any excuse to sit down , have a coffee and talk BMW's :D

BTW: i can't believe a "professional" actually suggested compressing springs :blink: . It would be far better and probably cheaper to put in adjustables.

Edited by zenetti

If that was certed with springs instead of bags the certifier needs to get another job. That car should not be on the roads at the height. There is absolutely no spring travel for safety.

Yeap its on the roads wof'd . And he loves his job, why would he get another.

Best car I have owned

We are in Penrose too. Next time pop you are over this way pop in and say hi. We always like any excuse to sit down , have a coffee and talk BMW's :D

BTW: i can't believe a "professional" actually suggested compressing springs :blink: . It would be far better and probably cheaper to put in adjustables.

Yeah man will do! I work in Mt Wellington next to Tip Top so aint that far away.

Yeah i am not entirely sure he was a "professional" by any means, trying to make a few bucks i guess, they stuffed up my sounds in my car, i have 2 12s and the short circuited my amp because the gain was down 2 low and blew my subs, they sent the amp away for free but i had 2 buy 2 new subs and they were going 2 charge me $500 but picked them up $88 from rapid radio... Dont think i will be back there again!