Sign in to follow this  
sascha

Wierd grinding/groaning noise (Clutch?)

Hi everyone - Ive got a wierd noise coming from somewhere, heres the details, ill explain everything leading up to it incase one of the things may have caused it?

I recently changed the oil and filter on my e30 325i, and then towed a trailer to St Heliers and back to Orewa. On the way back I heard a slight grinding/groaning noise coming from the engine bay (I think) when I pushed the clutch, its a hard noise to describe. It got stronger and stronger since then, but its only there when the clutch pedal is depressed.

You can feel the noise (if you know what I mean) on your foot when you push the clutch pedal.

Is it the clutch? I havent noticed any slipping, and the gears dont crunch.

Just doesnt sound good when pushing the clutch pedal.

Good timing just as I've put it up for sale, so would like to get this fixed asap

Cheers for your help

Sounds very much like youve got a faulty clutch release bearing or the pressure plate diaghram has a broken finger

^yep, will be one of the above... dont leave it until it completely fails otherwise you will probably have to grind the melted release bearing off the input shaft. this happened to me once..

^yep, will be one of the above... dont leave it until it completely fails otherwise you will probably have to grind the melted release bearing off the input shaft. this happened to me once..

How much are replacement release bearings btw?

How much are replacement release bearings btw?

I got it in a clutch kit from auto clutch, when i bought it it costed like 220 all up for a m20b25 clutch kit, release bearing was approx 30 - 40 bux

prices might be different now

Sounds very much like youve got a faulty clutch release bearing or the pressure plate diaghram has a broken finger

Ok sweet, how much is it roughly to get that fixed?

Cheers

You will have to pull the gearbox out and while your there replace the whole clutch assembly, not just the thrust bearing.. As in buy a clutch kit and replace the disc, pressure plate and thrust bearing.

$800? ohh mann! there goes my course related costs..

fixed thanks too ray at hell bm :)

Was it the release bearing ? or some thing else

Was it the release bearing ? or some thing else

It was the thrust bearing. Is that the same thing?

Sweet.

Nah Ray had a look at it he said and it looked like there was still plenty of clutch left, and it wasnt worth replacing it.

Mine needs replacing, how much did it set you back by chance?

PM'd