Sign in to follow this  
APT

318ti Manual Conversion Q's

I have got my eyes on a nice Msport 318ti for my new daily its a 1997 M42engine.

Question is the car is auto right now is there a problem in converting it to manual ? i know with my e46 its difficult because of the electronics side, but how about this year ?

Secondly can Manual boxes be mated up to any e36 engine car ? whether it be a m50 or m42 can i still keep the same box ?

And yes at the end of the day it is a little girls car. Cheers

Completely off topic...but good on you for being man enough to drive a 318ti (which I've always thought of as a newer and cheaper 318is). I'll stick to my mx5 for twincam girlyness though :P

/postcount spam

Check out e3024v.com for box compatibility.

A 1997 318Ti should be a M44... the best manual gearbox to use is the Getrag 250G. If you get that from a M42 or M43 (early) motor with the complete kit it won't have the dual mass flywheel. You can also fit a M50 or M52 to that gearbox further down the track. You'll also need to change the diff ratio. From the factory 4.44:1 to at least a 3.64 or 3.15 :1 and its best to convert to medium case when doing this with the E30 M325i axles

Edited by *Glenn*

Thanks for that info Glenn, It must be a M44 engine then i haven't actually seen it yet but will be this weekend hopefully i just assumed it was a M42.

Im after a car that is Small and easy to drive around town. So it had to be a Ti but i don't think that 4 cyl stuff wont keep me happy after a while.

Looks like this will be happening i pick up the car tmro.

Manual M44 is a great option. I repowered my 1996 316i compact manual with a M44 engine and its great fun to drive. Really pulls well off the bottom and reasonably economical at around 8-9 ltr to 100 k. You cant go wrong!

The motor I bought was from auto so a live wire to EWS unit was needed to activate the Park disabler. That might be something you may need to consider if the wiring from the auto gearshift is removed or maybe its just a switch you can jam on. You will also need to leave the automatic control unit in place, if its removed the rev limit will be set to 5500 rpm.

Don't need to worry about the plugs into the auto transmission leave them tied up out of the way.

The Reverse light switch may need to be wired in to suit the manual.

You wont be disappointed.....I would definately improve the suspension though