Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

Another Brit in my stable! Mmmmm V8

One of the best sounding engines of all time. Seriously needs the spare tyre mounted to the boot exterior lid.

One of the best sounding engines of all time. Seriously needs the spare tyre mounted to the boot exterior lid.

Yeah the touring apck was uber cool, I might look into in the future.

She sounds horny as hell when the Vac secondaries come open.....

73 Rover P6 series 2. 3.5 auto. 89,000 miles =)

Has a nice wee four barrel holley 8007/4160, which loves to over fuel...alot....so I shall be stripping that down and using a BFH to gently tune it.

Nice sharp white paint, it has had a bare metal respray by the looks of things and has a small amount of rust in a few doors. Easy jobs! It needs a few sealed beam units for a wof, which is all it needs. Not bad for a 37 year old car! It's far nicer to ride in than the E12, it's smoother and quieter than the E36 and rides amazingly well, far better than the E36 did. Brakes are....well....70's and British. Not too inspiring for a 4 wheel disc set up, but, not too bad either. The leather is all very nice with the exception of the drivers seat. Might throw an SD1 5 speed at her some time too. But, for now I will be tidying her up and enjoying the smooth V8....when it's in tune.

Plans for the next few weeks is a full service, go over all the wiring and rebuild the carb. Then I shall start on the rust and get some paint matched up.

What do you guys think?

The ole P6 aye, I used to own one of these. I had my cousin tune the twin carbs and it took him forever with some archaic device. I wish mine had a holley, mine you it was smooth as hell when it was in tune. They are smooth, and yeah it may be quieter than an e36 in general, but I would prefer my 328i in the twisties and overall. The more I pulled mine apart the more work I had to do to it to make it work correctly. I pulled the dash out at one stage and counted 38 screws or something ridonkulous. Some parts of that car are well over engineered, even by BMW standards. If I was to do it again, I would just get the best leather conditioner you can get and work those seats and drive it till something needs attending to...which wont be that far down the track. I wanted a 5 speed, then maybe a fuel injected 4litre, the list went on of course, but the maintenance just kept coming and those mods never transpired. I pulled the head off mine and it was sludged to hell, if I was to do that again, I would probably just throw motorup into it and pray for awhile.

Good luck, at least its different...I do more work on my bloody 328i than I ever did on my rover and that is saying something.

Think I read somewhere that these things were designed with a turbine engine in mind???

Also, the front end panels and doors are aluminium??

I had a friend who owned one years ago. I always liked the smoothness of the car as a whole. Impressive for such an old piece of engineering.

The ole P6 aye, I used to own one of these. I had my cousin tune the twin carbs and it took him forever with some archaic device. I wish mine had a holley, mine you it was smooth as hell when it was in tune. They are smooth, and yeah it may be quieter than an e36 in general, but I would prefer my 328i in the twisties and overall. The more I pulled mine apart the more work I had to do to it to make it work correctly. I pulled the dash out at one stage and counted 38 screws or something ridonkulous. Some parts of that car are well over engineered, even by BMW standards. If I was to do it again, I would just get the best leather conditioner you can get and work those seats and drive it till something needs attending to...which wont be that far down the track. I wanted a 5 speed, then maybe a fuel injected 4litre, the list went on of course, but the maintenance just kept coming and those mods never transpired. I pulled the head off mine and it was sludged to hell, if I was to do that again, I would probably just throw motorup into it and pray for awhile.

Good luck, at least its different...I do more work on my bloody 328i than I ever did on my rover and that is saying something.

It will be an interesting toy to own, the maintenance will be a bit of fun too. I agree on the twisties and the 328i, I would rather drive my old E36 around any corner. But I can't expect such an old car to handle.

Think I read somewhere that these things were designed with a turbine engine in mind???

Also, the front end panels and doors are aluminium??

I had a friend who owned one years ago. I always liked the smoothness of the car as a whole. Impressive for such an old piece of engineering.

The bonnet and boot are alloy, the rest is steel. Yes, Rover designed it for a turbine, which is why it has the super odd suspension in the front. I do like how smooth it is. I think I'll get a Mig and tickle the exhaust a bit.