Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

WOF's & tyres

Sidewall height shouldnt matter in regards to the stretching issue, its just a bugger to mount, but whether you have 235/40 or 235/50 on a given rim size shouldnt figure. It is just taking into account tyre width to rim width. I cant imagine a manufacturers recommendation being too far off these figures, but then you would only need one good example by a reputable manufacturer to have the LTNZ scratching their heads again. Then you have the certed guys...

Are you a professional tyre fitter?

There is a huge difference in sidewall height using the sizes you have just mentioned, over 40mm to be exact, and a big difference in the recommended width for those tyres. A 235/50/18 for example has a recommended width of 6.5 -8.5" rims whereas a 235/40/18 has an 8" - 9.5" recommendation.

Sidewall height does matter, especially when you consider the majority of vehicles now run ABS and your ABS computer is programmed for a certain diameter tyre.

Lucky I have spare rims with tyres in my basement then ay. I'm running 205's on an 8, which would be a fail. STINK

Lucky I have spare rims with tyres in my basement then ay. I'm running 205's on an 8, which would be a fail. STINK

Ouch.. im running 205's on 9" on the rear and the same on 8" at the front :huh:

now u guys say this is just something ull get done for at warrent time? or is it something u can get pulled over for and ticketed??

Cheers

Hmm,

205's on the front with 15x8's on the front

225's on the rear

So I am good on the ass end,

Interesting though

I don't even own any bottlecaps :(

Got some from the top of my Speights stubbies if you need them ;)

sorry had to be the first smart ass

Ouch.. im running 205's on 9" on the rear and the same on 8" at the front :huh:

now u guys say this is just something ull get done for at warrent time? or is it something u can get pulled over for and ticketed??

Cheers

Ouch, how are your sidewalls!? ;)

Unless the police are able to tell exactly the size/width of your rim im sure they won't be able too easily penalise you...not saying they wont!

Ouch, how are your sidewalls!? ;)

Unless the police are able to tell exactly the size/width of your rim im sure they won't be able too easily penalise you...not saying they wont!

haha what sidewalls :(

and got pulled over last nite and he checkd them and didnt say anything so i assume they dont care.

damn you guys must have some decent stretch

I've got 225/50's on 16x7 rims lol

i've got a little stretch on my 225's - 18x9's but falls into that legal range! I was going to originally go with 215's but the tyre dude convinced me to go a little bigger...glad i did when a few days later these new regs came up and after just spending 1k on rubber :lol:

manufacturer plus two ftw ,235 on 8.5 so no worries.The wheels look way bigger than 8.5 so it will be interesting when i go in next

Surely there would be a bit of room for discretion on the behalf of the wof inspector? You can easily tell if a tyre is overstreched to fit a rim or too big for the rim - going by the chart above, both my road going 4x4s are out, one is running 265/70 15s on a 9 inch rim (they if anything look stretched on rather than oversize) and 31x10.5 15s on 8 inch rims - wont even go there with my off road wheels/mud tyres - 35/12.5/16s (works out to be around 285 wide) on 9 inch rims!

Hope its one rule for cars and another for 4x4s!

Thats a bit stupid then - the Isuzu Mu comes factory with 31/10.5s on 8 inch rims. Does it take into account the height of the sidewall as well? Because I could understand a smaller sidewall being a problem with over wide tyres but not so much with the big thick sidewalls on 4x4 tyres!

should you be using 4x4 tyres on the road though?

however, if you get pinged during a wof, just show them the little tyre plate thing on your door and point out that's how they came from the factory ... I don't see how they could argue against that

I have A/T's on one of my trucks and road tyres on the other (for general road use) - both are outside the stated limits in the guidelines above. I would understand if they had objections about my mud tyres - 35s are a bit excessive for road use, even though they look cool as hell! (keep them on my river truck or use them on my road legal truck for club runs etc)