Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

WOF's & tyres

Its looks like testing stations are having a purge on at the moment. Wheel sizes, tyre sizes which includes stretched fitments.

Be prepared for this if you know you are in that category. They have their own list that doesn't even cover manufacturers specifications... so you might end up having a bit of a run around to get your WOF

THIS IS NOT A JOKE

Edited by *Glenn*

Quick question Glenn:

I have 215/40R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE001's. I'm planning on running these on a 17x8.5. I don't like stretch or poke, so I have checked that these tyres are in fact rated to 8.5" width by Bridgestone themselves.

Will this be a problem? Is a tyre/width WOF list available to the public?

Johno has more info than I have on this. We briefly talked about it yesterday and a customer of mine got pinged today.

As long as you can prove that the tyre width/rim combo is within the manufacturer's specifications you should be ok. Some over zealous WOF inspectors may require proof ( ie print off the Bridgestone sheet and take it with you).

We have already had a few calls about this and so far the WOF inspectors have been wrong on at least a couple of occasions.

Edited by zenetti

There was a chart posted recently with minimum tyre widths vs rim widths, is this the sheet they will be referring to? It was posted on here a while back but i can't sem to find it, can someone provide a link or repost it please.

Thank god!!! I just spent 12 hundy yesterday putting 235 on my 9' wide rims...was so close to going with 225's

wow, i thought my 195s on 15x7s looked bout right, but apparently theyre on the minimum haha...might look at getting 215s or even 225s next...

It was in my old thread.

Posted Image

Thanks for that John... they are now aggresively acting on that

I won't change tbh, there's no way I can fit anything bigger than a 205 under the guards unless I lifted the car which ain't happening.. I'll play it cool til I get pinged. <_<

Thanks John, really glad I looked at this now.

I was told today that 205, 55 would be fine for an 8" and 225, 50 would be fine for a 9" but it appears not.

So does that WOF sheet take precedence over Manufacturer's recommendations? Seems a bit silly to disregard manufacturer specs.

The sheet doesn't seem to take into account the sidewall ratio either - and that affects the widths that tyres of the same width.

E.g.

215/50R17's max at 7.5" for both T1R's and RE001's

215/40R17's max at 8.5" for both T1R's and RE001's

I won't change tbh, there's no way I can fit anything bigger than a 205 under the guards unless I lifted the car which ain't happening.. I'll play it cool til I get pinged. <_<

What ??? :ph34r: another "Pinky"

So does that WOF sheet take precedence over Manufacturer's recommendations? Seems a bit silly to disregard manufacturer specs.

It shouldn't.... so arm yourself with written manufacturers proof

Oh dear I'm in the same boat as John - 195 on an 8. And my bottlecap wof wheels have a 215mm balloon on them.. are bottlecaps 6" or 6.5"?

:blink: oh dear...

Those recommendations seem reasonable. Sidewall height shouldnt matter in regards to the stretching issue, its just a bugger to mount, but whether you have 235/40 or 235/50 on a given rim size shouldnt figure. It is just taking into account tyre width to rim width. I cant imagine a manufacturers recommendation being too far off these figures, but then you would only need one good example by a reputable manufacturer to have the LTNZ scratching their heads again. Then you have the certed guys...

Just avoid LTNZ

-just a bunch of mechanics who couldnt make it in the real world imo.

How cool is this! I was just thinking the other day how we need much more Government interference and rules in NZ. Hopefully they'll be able to employ another whole bunch of beaurecrats to enforce them and then they'll need a whole lot of middle management and we can just pay more for our registration or something so they can keep a jolly good eye on us naughty people.

Is it true that you can only go up 2" in rim size?

Because I have 18" on my Magna... which had 14" or 15" as stock... but huge guards being a big car... fits 18x7.5 with 225 tyres with no problems.

just slap on bottle caps when its WoF time :P sorted

Like, you will get caught one day :)