Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Brake squeeeeeeeeeeaaaal

Hey guys. I have recently changed my brake pads(BMW OEM) and they have developed the most annoying squeal. I have slowly broken them in, so cant see that as an issue and the Rotors were fine and reasonably flawless.

Is this typical for BMW OEM brake pads!? Any ideas or suggestions before i go and order some new Axxis pads(previous pads) would be awesome.

Genuine pads on machined or replaced rotors don't squeal

Genuine pads Glenn, got them from Cooke Howlson BMW down here! I didn't bother getting the rotors machined as the 100% look good :huh: i may take them out and put some of that brake treatment stuff and see if that helps :)

Genuine pads Glenn, got them from Cooke Howlson BMW down here! I didn't bother getting the rotors machined as the 100% look good :huh: i may take them out and put some of that brake treatment stuff and see if that helps :)

That wont help...machine or replace the rotors.. they get a work hardened surface as well as wearing

Edited by *Glenn*

That wont help...machine or replace the rotors.. they get a work hardened surface as well as wearing

I've noticed you suggest this before Glenn, is this a typical BMW trait!?

From other types of cars i have worked on before i have only replaced or machined rotors that were warped, thin or visually appeared as if they could do with a spin.

@ Westy, that's what i was considering B)

I've noticed you suggest this before Glenn, is this a typical BMW trait!?

Not just BMW's...most euro cars. We do at least 10 sets of brakes a week, never get comebacks doing it properly. We also spray the backs with Wurth Anti-Squeal and lube the sliders and the pad contact points on the carriers with copper grease.

Awesome, thanks Glenn. Will give the grease a go and if no luck will get the rotors spun B)

Awesome, thanks Glenn. Will give the grease a go and if no luck will get the rotors spun B)

Never use grease on brakes... use spray on Anti-Squeal

Sims brakes do E36 rotors for a good price.... They gave me E36 rotors when I went to replace my brakes accidentally <.<

Only buy rotors that come in a branded box... I've seen people get caught with some dodgy _____ ones. Not machined true and not hubcentric

listen to what glenn is saying, save yourself the hassle, grease etc will not work

machine or replace the rotors

it is common that there is a slight lip on the disc or wear hardening and that will be the issue

I heard that duct tape on the non friction surfaces does the trick, as mine developed a squeal over time, so I tried it pretty skeptically and it did work, doesnt seem to affect anything other than no squeal. not sure if its a safety/WoF issue, but yeah...

Not just BMW's...most euro cars. We do at least 10 sets of brakes a week, never get comebacks doing it properly. We also spray the backs with Wurth Anti-Squeal and lube the sliders and the pad contact points on the carriers with copper grease.

Tried the Wurth Anti squeal, and it worked perfectly!!! thanks Glenn