Sign in to follow this  
Fabo

323i e30 ... hot cams or not?

Hi there I'm new here to this forum and I was just wanting to know if any one can give me an answer if I should get the cams reground to a hotter version. m20b23 engine just had a rebuild under 1200km ago

Thanks

that depends... who is regrinding the cam? what can they do that bmws $$$$$$$$$$$ couldnt?

unless its a proven quality cam grind from someone who can guarantee the results have been tested etc then you probs will end up going backwards... ask me how i know.

Edited by DRTE30

Is your car an NZ new M323i coupe? If so, they were fitted with a hotter cam

that depends... who is regrinding the cam? what can they do that bmws $$$$$$$$$$$ couldnt?

unless its a proven quality cam grind from someone who can guarantee the results have been tested etc then you probs will end up going backwards... ask me how i know.

Kelford cams I've heard they are quite good, and thought it might come in handy in the long run when it's turbo?

how do you know? lol

Regards

Is your car an NZ new M323i coupe? If so, they were fitted with a hotter cam

Well it originally was Australian new so possibly

regards

You'll ideally want different cams on a turbo than a NA motor anyway.

Please do some research (ie reading). You'll get a much better response if you ask intelligent, researched questions.

You'll ideally want different cams on a turbo than a NA motor anyway.

Please do some research (ie reading). You'll get a much better response if you ask intelligent, researched questions.

I've asked the tuning shop and he said to go with a 288 degree cam exhaust and 276 degree inlet if that puts it more straight foward?

either do a full NA build otherwise don't f**k around wasting money just to have a extra couple of HP or whatever the f**k ya get from cams and exhausts for a year , just drive the car and save up to turbo it

In Reality Rather than worrying about power worry about getting to to the ground and have it handling well, Power means f**k all without those two things, you just end up with lotsa power and no control like flat peak, 20de+T auto, cefibro drivers that CHCH is all too Familar with LOL :rolleyes:

get a LSD, get new bushes, and then decide if you want a set of well paired shocks and springs or if you want coilovers, go drive lots and enjoy it

Had a "manchester st women" of a day Sorry, nothing against you

We're all ambitious when we get a new car with big plans, I started with wanting 2.5 high compression ITB's and a cam, then 2.5 with SC14 super charger, then 2.7 Turbo, then just a 2.7 NA stroker, now I Have a M50B25 in the garage to Build up and am deciding what turbo/turbo's to use

I Guess what im saying is until your sure of your plans work on the smaller more important things such as what i've outlined in Bold

Good Luck!

^ Love your work Andrew, best post on here in a while.

Totally agree you don't need 8000hp to have fun or go fast.

^^ +1

ohh and i know because my "hot cam" has caused the tourque curve of my racecar to be non existant.

instead i have no tourque what so ever before 3000rpm and even less after 4000rpm. it is because the grind and the timing of the cam is wrong. there is too much overlap and the motor is just falling on its arse because of it... sounds lumpy at idle. makes you think its quicker but as i have just found out really its not.

Edited by DRTE30

either do a full NA build otherwise don't f**k around wasting money just to have a extra couple of HP or whatever the f**k ya get from cams and exhausts for a year , just drive the car and save up to turbo it

In Reality Rather than worrying about power worry about getting to to the ground and have it handling well, Power means f**k all without those two things, you just end up with lotsa power and no control like flat peak, 20de+T auto, cefibro drivers that CHCH is all too Familar with LOL :rolleyes:

get a LSD, get new bushes, and then decide if you want a set of well paired shocks and springs or if you want coilovers, go drive lots and enjoy it

Had a "manchester st women" of a day Sorry, nothing against you

We're all ambitious when we get a new car with big plans, I started with wanting 2.5 high compression ITB's and a cam, then 2.5 with SC14 super charger, then 2.7 Turbo, then just a 2.7 NA stroker, now I Have a M50B25 in the garage to Build up and am deciding what turbo/turbo's to use

I Guess what im saying is until your sure of your plans work on the smaller more important things such as what i've outlined in Bold

LOL straight to the point I like it :L

I don't particularly like the Cefiro's my mate has one and it has no guts till past 3-4grand and doesn't sound as sexy as a BMW.

There is a 4.10 LSD on trademe but its a small case and from what I've read they say it will break if you do hard launches and thrash it etc, Vmaxx or BC Gold Adjustables is the future but for now I have munroe shocks and cobra low springs.

Lol no its fine it was straight to the point no fluffing around which is good ( less reading )

Yes I'm super ambitious to have this beast on the modifying roll! BTW how did the 2.7 turbo go?

Well at the moment I'm working on tiny little imperfections until I decide as you said but probably not important to most i.e. paint scratches, rust, interior, sound system etc

Thanks for your time dude ! :D

Agreed to a point it can always be fun as it is... but isn't the point of modifying to make it more fun, more thrilling... Just the way I see it, I have the addiction to modify lol

^^ +1

ohh and i know because my "hot cam" has caused the tourque curve of my racecar to be non existant.

instead i have no tourque what so ever before 3000rpm and even less after 4000rpm. it is because the grind and the timing of the cam is wrong. there is too much overlap and the motor is just falling on its arse because of it... sounds lumpy at idle. makes you think its quicker but as i have just found out really its not.

OK cross that off the list then, that makes it easier sorted :D

Regards

This is true but it doesnt hurt if you do and it makes for great bragging rights

And cams trick cams do work well

This is true but it doesnt hurt if you do and it makes for great bragging rights

And cams trick cams do work well

So true :D but he also has a point, but alas I am more lenient to the power :L

I'll have a look into it

Thanks

Theres many reasons why a cam doesnt work, dropping it in without doing your home work first doesnt show a good result.

Using a cam with .500 lift in head that runs out of flow at .400 isnt a smart idea same with duration.

Theres alot more to cams than lift and duration.

Theres alot bigger picture than hoping itll make power without everything done to support it.