Sign in to follow this  
Guest BimmerzE36

The M8 LIVES!

Guest BimmerzE36

Yes, you mateys heard it right. This is not a joke. I only found out a couple of days ago from this US forum. And yet didn't read any posts in this forum about it, so let me be the first to say this to you that THE BMW M8 LIVES! :lol:

After more than 20 years, BMW has finally unveiled the E31 M8 prototype! Featuring a 550hp S70 engine and fully revised suspension, the M8 has been preserved in a special BMW facility, and only now been unveiled.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I always thought they'd never destroy it, I mean this was simply put it "Greatness" at its own time.... And Its a V12 BMW! What else Do you Need? It gives a lot of us another bloody reason to live!!

I say We invade BMW in Germany and steal that car mate?

Seriously, I hope they bring out a full scale production on this..

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/07/02/exclusive-photos-bmw-m8/

Edited by BimmerzE36

Repost actually. More info in the link below

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=28541&hl=

It'll never go into production - not then and not now. Not to mention it's not a current production series.

I just picked up this magazine ... well worth the purchase.

Here's the final sentence from the article, sums it up nicely I think:

"In some ways there should be no surprise that it was not sanctioned for limited production but it could be viewed as the father of the 850CSi and McLaren F1 and it could so easily have been as exciting and significant as both of them, and maybe have been a latter-day BMW M1 or M635CSi. What we can do today is sit back and admire the work of that small group of dedicated and talented people at BMW M GmbH"

Few fun facts about the car:

- They only ever built one and it still exists today - it's tucked away deep in BMW's historical collection (in fact I've spotted a video of this said 'warehouse' on the net recently and saw the M8 tucked away in the corner)

- Carbon Kevlar Dash covered in Alcantara

- Scheel Carbon Kevlar bucket seat and 4 point harness

- The rear fender cut out was to house an oil cooler for the engine on the left and differential cooler on the right.

- The s70 engine was designed not by Paul Rosche, but rather an apprentice of his working for him at the time (Schulte Vorwick). This engine did later 'help' with the eventual McLaren F1 engine they were contracted to do by Gordan Murray.

- Engine was basically 2 x M3 six cylinders joined together on a common crankcase (sound familiar?)

- Car is loaded with Alcantara interior

- The car was actually VERY CLOSE to being sanctioned for phase 2 development which would have meant a limited run of approximately 1500 units at DM250,000 retail price per car (the marketing department thought it was too expensive and would not sell, so the board canned it - Damn marketing people!!!)

- 550hp, no official timing was ever done, but approximately 4.8s to 100km and capable of 340km/h

- They had also partially completed chassis development at the Nurburgring for this before the budget ran out.

- Standard Getrag 6 speed gearbox with 3.15:1 final drive

- the wheels are a 2 piece design with the centre being made from Carbon Kevlar!!!! (this is back in 1990 people!!)

- 4 pot AP Racing front caliper on 305mm disc - rear standard 850Ci item

- Aluminium bonnet

- They wind tunnel tested the car and found that a rear spoiler was not necessary

- The car has headlights, just not the pop up item found in the normal E31 - weight saving measure apparently.

- The people that worked on this car were: Reitzle, Kalbfell, Roche and Gerhard Richter (all from BMW Motorsport)

- The car has a German plate ZS-M-32 (I wonder if it is actually registered??)

The Journalists that did this article nearly got to drive the car, but it had a faulty electronic engine module and was misfiring on the day, so they decided to cann the drive.

Well worth buying the magazine - heaps of close up never before seen detail photos of this car.

Edited by M3_Power

Horrible...it remind me of a Porsche 928 from the front, ATTRACTIVE....NOT

Horrible...it remind me of a Porsche 928 from the front, ATTRACTIVE....NOT

Dude, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :) I am a sad arse 80's boy and I love it. Kind of partial to a 928 in GTS format too.

one of my top 3 cars :D

Its cool, but I dont reckon any more amazing than any other one- off supercar that the different places build..... Everyone seems to be able to do it.

And being a one- off, it isnt really an actual model is it....