Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

Nissan Skyline 250GT

Had a drive of a couple of Skyline 250GT's last week and what a disappointment. I was sort of expecting something a bit like the older skylines but this car was totally different. Very soggy handling into a corner and not fast at all. More a cruiser than a sports saloon. Nice enough inside and I think the body styling is very cool but its certainly no BMW. Anyone else driven/owned one of these before?

Edited by ducatiss

Yeah I have driven one. Old drey of a thing. Hence why you hardly ever see them driving around.

There is some older Jap vids of them testing the Skyline vs the E46 330 and a few other similar cars. Can't remember how it turns out.

yeah definately nothing special.

after the r34 it kinda went downhill unfortunately.

Isn't the 250 GT the bottom of the line though?? 2.5 NA 165kw VQ25de

ie. Replacement of the old R34/33/32 2.5 GT RB25de (not the turbo GTS-t or GT-T)

The 350 GT & 350 GT-8 are the more enticing with the 3.5 NA 232kw VQ35de

I recall seeing a best motoring vid with one getting a paddling from the IS-F, M3 & C63 AMG

Yeah the 250GT is the bottom of the range in terms of being the smallest engine - but I suspect (though I havent driven them) that the 300 and 350GT might be even worse if they too handle in similar fashion to their smaller sibling. Might have to go to the 350Z to get the handling and the power...

I thought the top model was just called the Nissan GT-R and the Nissan 350gt was just a rebadged Infinity G35 for different markets (Infinity is Nissan's luxury line)

so the 350gt might have the power under the hood, but if it's still a luxury car then it's probably not going to have awesome handling like a sports car would

I've toyed with a friends one. Was fine for what we were using it for (road trip), but otherwise it sucked. Was a jap import. Everytime you got in or out it would talk to you in japanese - horrible japanese womens voice. Instruction manual is japanese and japanese characters on the TV, so no idea what the hell she is saying, or how to shut her up.

Initial amusement turns to plain annoyance after a couple of days.

Probably warning us that the car is on its last legs and about to fall apart. There was a nasty vibration in the steering under heavy braking - ABS fault I think.

Seen one modified one drive past - looked pretty sweet I have to say.

The Infiniti G35 (or now G37) Coupe is a fantastic looking car, although it is based right off the 350Z (now 370Z).

Both are really common here, and the G35 coupe seem to hold their value very well.

The G35/G37 Sedan is very bland looking.

Interesting that Infiniti is referred to as Nissan's luxury brand. The older ones here are just rebadged Primera's (Infiniti G20) and the generation after that were rebadged Skyline sedans. The newer ones seem a lot more luxurious.

I recall seeing a best motoring vid with one getting a paddling from the IS-F, M3 & C63 AMG

But for the same money as an ISF, M3 and C63 you could buy a new GTR and they wouldn’t know which way it went on a track :mellow:

I have driven a few of the newer Skylines and prefer the Stagea as its practical and does the same thing, They do what they are designed to do reasonably well.

Would be the 350Z Track in my garage if I was that way inclined.