Sign in to follow this  
tony2657

what tyre size and brand?

I've finished cleaning up my set of second-hand BBS wheels (see photo) but the tyres on them are shot (especially that one in the middle).

I'm told either 205/55R16 or 225/50R16, but which? And what brand?

The choices and the range in costs are bewildering.

The car deserves better than cheap imported tyres, but at the same time I am a reasonably sedate driver and cost IS an issue.

Any advice out there?

post-5163-1278452721.jpg

Edited by _Tony_

wheel specs would help plus what you want to do with the car \

stooge around town, open country driving , performance driving ???

Good point.

Wheels are 7JX16H2

Driving is around town and highway.

i have always ran 225/50-16" on my e28 , normally a bridgestone grid3 , eagle f1 always found the kumho, hancooks etc cooked up on the track etc .

i have 235/45-17" now and use teh 16" for semi slicks fro the track

If your not doing any track work and if like you say cost is an issue then I would look at the Nexan/Roadstone's that Mag and Tyre Direct(Forum Sponser) do. I have a set and they have proven to be an excellent tyre, Far superior to the Dunlop Direzzas they replaced and considerably cheaper. They have worn very well and very evenly.

Certain People on here will knock them beacause they arn't a well known brand and don't cost big $$ per corner but I will be buying them again and recomend them to others based on 30,000k's of mixed driving

There are several members on here that also have them and with good results to date

Edited by braeden.

I bought some Nexen... and another tyre shop flamed them for being dangerous.. But I found them particularly good in the wet compared to a Hankook Ventus.

Hi Tony

I would go with the 205/55/16's as you only have a 7" wide rim. I have quite a few tyres in stock in that size

Kumho KU31 at $139 each, Dunlop SP9000 at $179 each or Roadstone N5000 at $139 each.

We also have a store in Chch which can fit and balance them tyres for you. The prices above incl fitting and balancing

cheers

Johno

Thanks Johno (and everyone else) for the advice.

I have figured to keep my diameters close to the same I need either 205/55 or 225/50 on 16" rims. The closest would be 225/50s, so why do you suggest 205/55 Johno? Are they cheaper or perhaps safer on 7" wide rims?

What about roadholding and comfort? And which will look better?

Or am I just being a dork now?