Sign in to follow this  
central3

Tyre Decision

I am moving to 18's on the 330i and have received the following tyre quotations, I am fitting 225/40/18 to the front and 245/35/18 to the rear. Comments please

- Goodyear F1 Eagle ($1,610)

- Hankook Ventus V12 EVO K110 ($1,540), as fitted to Lexus. Apparently a good high performance tyre.

- Dunlop Sports Max ($1,400).

They are pretty good prices but I am sure I can do better. :D

Where are you located?

My vote is for the Dunlop’s, I found them to be a great tyre, ultimately a much better all rounder then the Goodyear.

We have the Dunlop SP Sports on my Mum’s E46 Coupe and find them to be great also, not as sporty as the Sport Max but they wear really well, have seen a new record of 72,000km on a front pair.

I have 225 40 18 goodyear F1s, seem to be pretty good tyres, although i recently noticed a large crack the whole way round one of them, don't know why, just appeared. Wouldn't mind trying some different ones next time round.

I have 225 40 18 goodyear F1s, seem to be pretty good tyres, although i recently noticed a large crack the whole way round one of them, don't know why, just appeared. Wouldn't mind trying some different ones next time round.

Thanks guys - Jono I PMed you on the 18th but didn't hear back, also couldn't see anything on your website that matched my needs - 3pedals, can't get Brigestones in the combination I am after, looked at Pirelli and Continental but I was going to be looking at $4,000 - Apex, went for the Dunlops in the end, good price + good write ups + the tyre guy I was dealing with was the most helpful

What Pirelli’s did you buy?? I have the P-Zero Nero’s and they are complete rubbish, to the point im removing them. I was fooled by the flash name.

Looking at the Bridgestone re11 or Star Spec Z1.

Im guessing Nero's then huh 3-Pedals? Horrid tyres.

Have decided on Toyo Proxies R888, ultimate grip road legal tyre.

I priced up the R888 vs the Dunlop DZ03's and they where basically the same price for the 205...

Which would be a better tyre?

Im not sure mate, im going R888 for two reasons, Renault use them factory and in 235/40/18 they are cheaper.

The guy at the Dunlop shop told me that the Dunlop’s have greater grip at the expense of faster wear and greater stress on my road car and even recomended the Toyo's.

Not sure what set up means.

It’s a factory FWD hatchback, 235/40/18 all round, maybe the Nero’s aren’t suited for the car as they do come factory with Dunlop Sport Max tyres on which it handles a lot better both on the road and on the track, on the track it was actually embarrassing. I do realise the Nero is Pirelli’s budget brand P-Zero though.

The RE11 looks like a much more focused tyre and if it was available I would snap them up but as they are not R888’s look like the go.

Maybe I should start modifying my cars suspension as clearly Renaultsport have done a shocking job.

Thanks.