Sign in to follow this  
djasonz

Where is a good place to colour my rims?

anyone know a good place in auckland that does the best wheel paint? i asked one of the bmw technician and he said the bmw's dont do wheel painting. im thinking of painting my 19" msport wheels to either black or gun metal

whichever suits best. my car colour is alpine white e92

any suggestion?

thanks

I havn't done it but I've heard good things about www.wheelfixit.co.nz

Even if the wheel doesn't need repair they can change colour, they come to you and the job is usually completed on the same day as they come in their indoor painting unit - so any weather. They also have shadow chrome! :)

Be sure to post pics haha

Arrow Wheels did mine.

Couldn't have asked for better.

@ Apex

Did you have them repaired and coloured or just coloured? Also what colour?

---

@ Blackie

How much did it cost you and what colour did you have them done?

Repainted factory Gloss Black. Hand sanded back to alloy and re coated, im thinking had he clear coated them they may be doing ok but as they were not they look like ars.

Posted Image

Painting was $125 per wheel, that was just sanding back and painting the centers though, no repair work.

I had them painted a custom colour, now called Arrow Charcoal I believe. But the price wouldn't be much less or more if you wanted something else.

Posted Image

Will get better wheel pics if you want.

Better Pic:

Posted Image

Those wheels are so nice, I would put them on my car and never drive it.

Honestly, go with Arrow if you have the time, I only went the mobile guys as I don’t have a spare set of wheels for my car and couldn’t not have the car off the road for a few days.

sorry for the late reply.

thank you all for the suggestions, i went to wheelfixit a month ago, they gave me a quote of around $900 inc GST

i dont have a really good photo of my car but heres some:

post-5938-1281701354.jpg

post-5938-1281701672.jpg

post-5938-1281701438.jpg

Give me a call re painting your wheels. We have a very very good guy down the road from us who does lots of custom work and his pricing is far betterthan wheelfixit. :)

@zenetti: what is the name of your friends shop? i am kinda still deciding wether to colour + spacers or change the whole rims

another question, are spacers legal in NZ if theyre not too thick?

thanks

@zenetti: what is the name of your friends shop? i am kinda still deciding wether to colour + spacers or change the whole rims

another question, are spacers legal in NZ if theyre not too thick?

thanks

Grant @ GT Refinishers in Walls Road. If you go and see him make sure you said that we sent you so he gives you the best price.

DON'T run spacers on your car - it is far to nice to be doing silly things like that :D

Spacers have ben covered here numerous times but the short version is that they are illegal but can be certed which makes them legal.

Are your current wheels staggered fit? ie wider at the rear? Do you know the widths?

Powder coat is another alternative to paint. I had my wheels done gloss black and am very happy with the result, reasonably priced too.

Powder coat is another alternative to paint. I had my wheels done gloss black and am very happy with the result, reasonably priced too.

Hey matt

Where did you get this done? How much approx? I am thinking of getting my centres done. There is slot of talk about the 'issues' with powdercoating alloys, and I think the jury is out on whether it messes with the alloy, specifically its strength, etc, what did your 'engineer' say?

Lionel

Grant @ GT Refinishers in Walls Road. If you go and see him make sure you said that we sent you so he gives you the best price.

DON'T run spacers on your car - it is far to nice to be doing silly things like that :D

Spacers have ben covered here numerous times but the short version is that they are illegal but can be certed which makes them legal.

Are your current wheels staggered fit? ie wider at the rear? Do you know the widths?

im not really sure bout my wheels but they are standard. i think is around offset 30 - 35? thats why i want to make my car look wider by using the spacers.

Try Keith at Suspension Progress

He will be able to get you some TUV certified H&R spacers, theses are top quality, as said you will need to certify them witch mightn’t be worth it to you.

Hey matt

Where did you get this done? How much approx? I am thinking of getting my centres done. There is slot of talk about the 'issues' with powdercoating alloys, and I think the jury is out on whether it messes with the alloy, specifically its strength, etc, what did your 'engineer' say?

Lionel

Hi Lionel,

I had mine done at rainbow powdercoaters North shore for ~$280

The issues with powdercaot (and paint) as i see it is getting it where its not wanted ie on friction surfaces (hub face/ bolt holes) As powdercoat is a decorative finish

it should not be on these surfaces as it will break down making things work loose over time. If you dont want powdewcoat on a surface tape it of use corks etc for holes. I didnt do this and ended up with cleaning the hub faces afterwards

which while more work gave a crisp edge to the finish.

Admittedly i did not consult an engineer but powdercoating is a common process for wheels

from factory and the curing temp is below the aneal temp (about half) of aluminium so I figured it was ok.

So far my wheels have no chips or any other defects and the finish looks like new. A coat of wax when you first get them helps this.

Here is my thread http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=26638

im not really sure bout my wheels but they are standard. i think is around offset 30 - 35? thats why i want to make my car look wider by using the spacers.

Are they staggered fit? Ie wider at the rear? What size tyres do you currently have front and rear? If you want it to look wider you should but a wider or lower offset wheel on.

Hi Lionel,

I had mine done at rainbow powdercoaters North shore for ~$280

The issues with powdercaot (and paint) as i see it is getting it where its not wanted ie on friction surfaces (hub face/ bolt holes) As powdercoat is a decorative finish

it should not be on these surfaces as it will break down making things work loose over time. If you dont want powdewcoat on a surface tape it of use corks etc for holes. I didnt do this and ended up with cleaning the hub faces afterwards

which while more work gave a crisp edge to the finish.

Admittedly i did not consult an engineer but powdercoating is a common process for wheels

from factory and the curing temp is below the aneal temp (about half) of aluminium so I figured it was ok.

So far my wheels have no chips or any other defects and the finish looks like new. A coat of wax when you first get them helps this.

Here is my thread http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=26638

Cheers Matt

Your thread was all I needed to know really, awesome, mine will require more work in some ways as I have 2 piece, so I will be doing a little more work on the lips and of course pullin them to bits and re torque'n etc etc, but over xmas I spose I will have a bit of time...and I will need it for a diy! on those buggers!

Cheers.

I had my old wheels powder coated at procoat in highbrook. If i remember correctly they were $70 per wheel.