Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Petrol Economy!

after doing 200k, im going for another full tank for 82-84$.

@M5V8: i know there is something wrong coz even if a BMW chassis is heavy it would not consume that much fuel (1.6engine). ive had it tuned up(replaced air filter,spark plugs,etc) 3 weeks ago and had the fuel hoses checked and tank to see whether it has a leak but they told me that it was fine. I live in wanganui so i dont think there are good mechanics who understand BMW here. if i cannot solve this problem i might sell this and buy another bimmer. but i do hope this problem can be solved.

Heres an idea why your cars economy may be out...check out numbers 5 and 6 and have a look around the rubber fuel hose to see if they are old or damaged...found on the missus ti that one was worn and fixed that, we got better mileage instantly...also have a sniff around the injectors. just an idea!post-5369-1283935283.png

Heres an idea why your cars economy may be out...check out numbers 5 and 6 and have a look around the rubber fuel hose to see if they are old or damaged...found on the missus ti that one was worn and fixed that, we got better mileage instantly...also have a sniff around the injectors. just an idea!post-5369-1283935283.png

ill have a look at it over the weekend, is this pic located in the underchassis?

I haven't done the figures yet 1,185k's on $82.00 diesel, RUC still to be added. The vehicle was a 2002 406HDi 2ltr auto with four adults and their luggae. A trip to Dunedin and four days running back and forth St Kilda to Mosgiel, Airport x2 etc.

You cant do much better than that can ya? I love my 406 for that reason!

You cant do much better than that can ya? I love my 406 for that reason!

I love my diesel car, sadly RUC is going up (again) along with GST at 1 Oct.

I've just done an accurate check on mine. Filled up before we left Taupo, I've done 463.7km in the last 2 weeks on 46.72 Litres of Shell high octane... not bad for a M52B28

yea that's not too bad,

I'm getting on average 8.5 to 9kms per litre with my m52b25 so you're doing better than me :)

Edited by Wom

Im still amazed and intrigued how you guys with the bigger cars get such good economy.

My logical guess is a bigger engine = less work to keep a car at a constant speed. Stop/start driving really kills the economy of a larger engine.

I get around 12l/100km on open road, and 15l/100km around town, which I figure is not bad for a 2+ ton V8.

My wife's Legnum VR-4 is lucky to get better than 17l/100km anywhere. It used to average 14l/100km but suddenly changed one month (our fuel card reports monthly fuel consumption). Taken it to Mitsi twice, they can't find anything wrong, so it might be time to get the emmisions checked on it. Any one in Hamilton able to do this?

I get around 12l/100km on open road, and 15l/100km around town, which I figure is not bad for a 2+ ton V8.

My wife's Legnum VR-4 is lucky to get better than 17l/100km anywhere. It used to average 14l/100km but suddenly changed one month (our fuel card reports monthly fuel consumption). Taken it to Mitsi twice, they can't find anything wrong, so it might be time to get the emmisions checked on it. Any one in Hamilton able to do this?

WWW.Zeroe.co.nz

Emission Testing in New Zealand.

We are in Rotorua, But there are other places.

How much does a test cost?

$29 with a printed certificate

07 345 5442 ask for Ross

Edited by Winckel

Ponder this:

At the recent Taupo track day i filled up in the morning, during the day emptyed another 20L container into the car. I left on empty thinking i may not make it to the gas station. I drove a whole 180Km on the track for about 75L of petrol. So approx 40L/100Km......

Ponder this:

At the recent Taupo track day i filled up in the morning, during the day emptyed another 20L container into the car. I left on empty thinking i may not make it to the gas station. I drove a whole 180Km on the track for about 75L of petrol. So approx 40L/100Km......

I managed to crack 10L per 100km in my Peugeot on the track :D

9.4L/100km Combined. 360km Open Road 120 in town.

heres a strange one...

$100 to drive the e30 from welly to taupo, $70 to drive the 540 back via napier.

bit of a thread bump sorry

I've been tracking my fuel economy on that Fuelly website over the last few months as I've been getting various things done to my car.

Since I started recording my data on the website, I have had a manual conversion, diff change (3.64 to 3.15), k&n induction kit and resonator installed in place of the cat converter

since doing all of that, my fuel economy has gone from consistently 11.5l/100k every fill up to now 9.8l/100k

so my car is now worth a little bit more, is 1000x more fun to drive, sounds cooler and is also saving me a little bit on gas money

primo!!

ok here goes ( i fill up tomorrow for a round town figure)

open road figures including open road ,and driving around auckland and hamilton, tokoroa,auckland hamilton,tauraunga,levin 892 ks 48.6 thats 5.44 l 100 ks road user charges is about 5 c km

the bloody thing is doing about 1750revs at 110 k and sits on 3-4 l 100 k if you are careful with the throttle on the flat,and on a smooth road is really quiet and can creep up to 120-130 without any increase in noise.On coarse chip tho the run flats are awful!

round town figures tomorrow

open road = 634ks per tank (60L)

town = 350ks per tank (60L)

I hate town :)

open road = 634ks per tank (60L)

town = 350ks per tank (60L)

I hate town :)

is that a lot of stop start?

Managed 550kms to the tank. Lasted to Pauanui, driving in Pauanui, driving to Whangamata, back to Auckland and awhile in Auckland too!

is that a lot of stop start?

on the open road?

It was Christchurch to Nelson a tiny bit of driving around Nelson and back to Christchurch.

about 1 1/2 tanks. (800ish ks)

a little bit of up hill down hill and its a very bendy trip, admittedly I wasn't driving like I was on holiday. My aim was to make good time haha. So the revs got up a bit on corners etc. The milage could have been a bit better...

on the open road?

It was Christchurch to Nelson a tiny bit of driving around Nelson and back to Christchurch.

about 1 1/2 tanks. (800ish ks)

a little bit of up hill down hill and its a very bendy trip, admittedly I wasn't driving like I was on holiday. My aim was to make good time haha. So the revs got up a bit on corners etc. The milage could have been a bit better...

i mean the round town figure,your open road mileage is better than the e34 but round town isnt.My round town is pretty easy as far as round town goes.