Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Petrol Economy!

ummm mine is a 3.16i E36 Compact with stock rims and tires are on average..

It is counter intuitive in a way. Sometimes smaller engines are less efficient than larger engines in the same car, i.e. 318i might be more economical than 316i just as a 320i might use just as much fuel as a 325i/328i.

Also, its 316, not 3.16.

It is counter intuitive in a way. Sometimes smaller engines are less efficient than larger engines in the same car, i.e. 318i might be more economical than 316i just as a 320i might use just as much fuel as a 325i/328i.

Also, its 316, not 3.16.

ohhh.. i thought it would be more efficient to drive a 316 thats why i got that instead of the 318 :o , but im still hoping that after the tune up it will improve my 16L/100. and i only step on the gas pedal light..

Noticed a couple of you guys have gotten your cars tuned, what does it involve? Im keen to get mine done, does anyone have anywhere in auckland they would recommend?

Dont mean to throw the thread off topic so just PM me if ya like :)

The whole stories unbeliveable really.... or are we missing something ?

Why is that unbelievable? Have you ever owned one?

Full tank is roughly 70L, it will easily go 1100km with pure motorway driving, that's 15.7 KM/L or 6.4 ish/100.

To and from Wellington was done with hyper-miling techniques such as taping up the bonnet gaps (not grill), using low rolling resistance tyres and staying behind large trucks as much as possible. I was also travelling at 75~80kph the whole time, as that's when the car was most "effecient" so to speak.

Auckland to Wellington is 650km roughly, to and from is 1300. Not that much of a distance.

If you're gonna crack a 200kph joke, make it funny. At least try?

Edited by zara

Have figured that out the hard way, my next BMW will more than likely have a couple more cylinders...still happy with the performance and economy from the 1.8 though.

Noticed a couple of you guys have gotten your cars tuned, what does it involve? Im keen to get mine done, does anyone have anywhere in auckland they would recommend?

Noticing that you have a 540 which obviously differs to my e36 but plugs, points, idle control valve clean helped the economy on mine...check this site, which may help you! http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e34

Why is that unbelievable? Have you ever owned one?

Full tank is roughly 70L, it will easily go 1100km with pure motorway driving, that's 15.7 KM/L or 6.4 ish/100.

To and from Wellington was done with hyper-miling techniques such as taping up the bonnet gaps (not grill), using low rolling resistance tyres and staying behind large trucks as much as possible. I was also travelling at 75~80kph the whole time, as that's when the car was most "effecient" so to speak.

Auckland to Wellington is 650km roughly, to and from is 1300. Not that much of a distance.

If you're gonna crack a 200kph joke, make it funny. At least try?

I used to have gtst...which got nothing like that mileage ;)

I can see you were pedantic about trying to get good kms out of it but i think too most, it just seems illogical that a 3 litre v6 can get that sort of economy...i'm honestly amazed if that is what you could get out of a tank!!

My old Toyota 4age fxgt could get around 900-1000...but lets be honest it's a tiny 4 cylinder hatchback as opposed to a big 4 door saloon. ^_^

I used to have gtst...which got nothing like that mileage ;)

I can see you were pedantic about trying to get good kms out of it but i think too most, it just seems illogical that a 3 litre v6 can get that sort of economy...i'm honestly amazed if that is what you could get out of a tank!!

My old Toyota 4age fxgt could get around 900-1000...but lets be honest it's a tiny 4 cylinder hatchback as opposed to a big 4 door saloon. ^_^

Yeah except the V35 skylines and the old R3x skylines are two completely different cars sharing a same name. 1300 really was trying very very hard, but 1100 is quite realistic without having to try much. I was very much amazed myself when 200km into the drive, the on board computer said I still had 950km of juice! However when it comes to pure around town driving it drops to anywhere between 400~480km a tank, which works out to be 5.7km/L to 6Km/L, a very believable figure for a 3L.

Engine efficiency and drag probably has a lot to do with this. The Skyline's Cd is only 0.26, same as the Prius. It's not a light car either, so I'm guessing if it was powered by a 2L I4 it'll probably get worse fuel economy. What's surprising is the 350GT Sedan gets very much the same mileage as the 3L, despite being a lot quicker and more powerful, thanks to the 8 speed CVT I guess.

I have no problem with people being surprised about the fuel economy figures, it's how people jump straight to conclusions and start speculating that gets me. I mean why would I want to lie about the fuel economy of a car I sold half a year ago to a group of people I have never met before?

And what's so entertaining about trying to put a fellow BMW owner down....for doing nothing provocative, nor anything wrong in general anyway?

Edited by zara

Yeah except the V35 skylines and the old R3x skylines are two completely different cars sharing a same name. 1300 really was trying very very hard, but 1100 is quite realistic without having to try much. I was very much amazed myself when 200km into the drive, the on board computer said I still had 950km of juice! However when it comes to pure around town driving it drops to anywhere between 400~480km a tank, which works out to be 5.7km/L to 6Km/L, a very believable figure for a 3L.

Engine efficiency and drag probably has a lot to do with this. The Skyline's Cd is only 0.26, same as the Prius. It's not a light car either, so I'm guessing if it was powered by a 2L I4 it'll probably get worse fuel economy. What's surprising is the 350GT Sedan gets very much the same mileage as the 3L, despite being a lot quicker and more powerful, thanks to the 8 speed CVT I guess.

I have no problem with people being surprised about the fuel economy figures, it's how people jump straight to conclusions and start speculating that gets me. I mean why would I want to lie about the fuel economy of a car I sold half a year ago to a group of people I have never met before?

And what's so entertaining about trying to put a fellow BMW owner down....for doing nothing provocative, nor anything wrong in general anyway?

I'm firmly in the "bullshit" camp as well.

I'm not sure if your 3L v6 was the same basic engine as my 350Z's RENAULT engine, but i recently drove it from Christchurch to kerikeri and got nowhere near that sort of economy- and I am a nana driver..... I think it's quoted average is about 12L/100km

The Japanese tests for the V35 got somewhere around 8.7L/100km combined at the time, and slightly lower for the 2.5. It was in one of my old HPI magazines. So given you're driving sensibly and spotting in advance when you have to slow down etc, 1100km out of 70L shouldn't be too hard. Hell, our old M20B25s can get down to 8L or under on a long trip, and this is with ~15 years of advancements and a very low drag.

its getting hot in here,, ;)

"we dont want to hear it, we want to see it.." lolz.. :)

had my car tuned up last week. and i think it didnt help. my full tank of only ran for 200-210kms.=( im not sure what i can do to have my fuel improved. =(

had my car tuned up last week. and i think it didnt help. my full tank of only ran for 200-210kms.=( im not sure what i can do to have my fuel improved. =(

how much does it cost to fill your tank? do you use 95/6?

how much does it cost to fill your tank? do you use 95/6?

it was 82-84$ using Shell Regular Petrol. any suggestions?

sounds like a 50L tank. I suggest using V power from shell. its a tad more expensive but could produce better mileage. but the end of the day i have no idea whats causing such terrible economy.

wow and i thought my 320i was bad getting 420km town driving. I noticed that when i filled up 1 week with 91 then from half way, topped it up with 95 the mixture combined seemed better got 450km from my tank but probably just the way i was driving. Def try v power and see if it improves. Also what did they do during ur tune up.

Edited by Brenton

after doing 200k, how much fuel does it take in?

My car has an extremly retarded fuel gauge.

sounds like a 50L tank. I suggest using V power from shell. its a tad more expensive but could produce better mileage. but the end of the day i have no idea whats causing such terrible economy.

There's a current misleading advertising case before the courts citing this is b*llshit from shell.

All petrol companies add additives. The octane rating is the only real scientific measure.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/4029653/Sh...tising-campaign

I agree tho Leeroy, something is seriously wrong with your car. It's not leaking fuel is it?

What did the "tune up" do? do you have the garage receipt?

But this is an interested thread. What figures do other people get?

I have seen 10l/100 on my 4.9L V8 on the open road with total nana driving. 12-15 easily if you touch the right pedal. I can get anywhere from 400 - 600km from a full tank which costs $125 (98 octane only).

Edited by M5V8

after doing 200k, im going for another full tank for 82-84$.

@M5V8: i know there is something wrong coz even if a BMW chassis is heavy it would not consume that much fuel (1.6engine). ive had it tuned up(replaced air filter,spark plugs,etc) 3 weeks ago and had the fuel hoses checked and tank to see whether it has a leak but they told me that it was fine. I live in wanganui so i dont think there are good mechanics who understand BMW here. if i cannot solve this problem i might sell this and buy another bimmer. but i do hope this problem can be solved.

you could find a garage with an engine analyser to see what's coming out the tailpipe.....

Sometime's sensors can get fail or give bad readings resulting in incorrect full maps being used.

Does the car feel sluggish?....$85 should be a full tank in one of those so it has to be going somewhere.

edit: of course you could try $10 fuel injector cleaner!

Edited by M5V8

Did they do the Oxygen Sensor by chance?

Dunno how the M40 works, but does it have like a Temprature switch to tell the ECU it's warmed up?

It's prolly something silly like that.

I haven't done the figures yet 1,185k's on $82.00 diesel, RUC still to be added. The vehicle was a 2002 406HDi 2ltr auto with four adults and their luggae. A trip to Dunedin and four days running back and forth St Kilda to Mosgiel, Airport x2 etc.

I must be doing something wrong, e34 530i ann I do easily 600k's on a tank, 11.3 on the readout.

have had it down to 9.3 average, dunno how to reset the mileage, or how it works it out??

And for you south Island blokes I gotta e28 I gotta give away, check buy sell on here.

it's awesome on gas, it's been parked up the last 6 years...