Sign in to follow this  
reelGOOD

e39 Xenons

Hi guys, did a search for this but couldnt find anything so sorry if its a repeated question. I recently bought an 01 e39 which has xenon headlights. I assumed they were stock but my mechanic informed me that they were aftermarket when I took it in for a service the other day. Anyway, long story short, went to get a warrant last week and they failed me because Ive got aftermarket headlights and say I have to change them. I really dont want to have to change to filament bulbs, I like the modern look of these lights especially with white angel eyes.

Is there any way that I can make them think that they're stock? Take the Japanese stickers off the ballasts? I would just change the bulbs for the warrant then change them back but I doubt my insurance will cover me with illegal headlights. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott.

With all due respect they fail them for safety reasons, does that not concern you more than your car looking modern?

Are they in the factory housing or are they complete aftermarket units?

Narva Platinum bulbs from Repco give a nice white light and cost $110 and is the best legal option.

With all due respect they fail them for safety reasons, does that not concern you more than your car looking modern?

Are they in the factory housing or are they complete aftermarket units?

Narva Platinum bulbs from Repco give a nice white light and cost $110 and is the best legal option.

My headlights are exactly the same as the image Ive attached. I was of the understanding that these were designed for xenons. I have standard bulbs for my high beams. Are the projector lens headlights not made for xenon? I cant understand how there would be a safety issue when they're exactly the same as the oem ones. Thanks for your reply by the way.

post-5423-1279787390.jpg

I dont think they can just fail you because they are aftermarket. Surely they had a reason why the are not WOF-able?

Maybe the lights are set up for left hand drive use. Like you I like the look of the lights you have much more than the otherwise Pre-facelift lights.

My advice would be to maybe try for a WOF somewhere else and if the same problem pops up there then it might be an issue you will need to seek an alternative or maybe a different set if lights.

As stated already, there are different bulbs you can put in to factory headlight housings to give the white/blue Xenon look the the lights or just switch them out for your WOF then put them back in and run the risk of getting caught for that, even though the lights look so good!

My headlights are exactly the same as the image Ive attached. I was of the understanding that these were designed for xenons. I have standard bulbs for my high beams. Are the projector lens headlights not made for xenon? I cant understand how there would be a safety issue when they're exactly the same as the oem ones. Thanks for your reply by the way.

Unfortunately not, they are designed to look like a factory Xenon unit at one third the price and quality, kinda like a fake watch.

The only way to retro fit HID/Xenon is to install a factory set up, your car will need a new computer that can control the automatic adjusting headlamps, you will also need auto washers. Alow for say $2,500. Or buy a Lexus GS300 that has factory Xenon for around the same coin as a E39 B)

If you are dead set on keeping your illegal and quite frankly highly annoying headlights I would recommend mounting the HID units under/behind the front bumper so they can’t be seen, this will take a couple of hours but will keep it looking OEM if you carefull. I would then find a dodgy garage that won’t test them, plenty out there.

When you fail your warrant the reason will be noted on the computer.

mmmm, very interesting did the garage give you a reason why they failed. If like the hella Xenon's I fitted to my 02 530 you can not simple change the low beam bulbs as they have a different housing and bulb base to a halogen type, plus the Xenon bulbs are gas filled and reguire a high electrical discharge to ignite the gas inside them. As for the computer warning I think pre September 2001 did throw a warning about your lights as the computer scan of the circuit found no resistance, from the removed low beam bulbs. Yes the face lift model headlights do look a lot nicer than the pre just my opinion. Let us know how you resolve this.

Cheers Allan

The legal requirement for having Xenon headlamps includes a headlamp washer system, and automatic levelling. So, regardless of if the lamps themselves are OK, they are not legal until they have the washer and self levelling installed and certified (with an E mark). The only exceptions are SAE approved products which don't require the washers (or didn't last time I checked - which is why HID's are not used on motorcycles outside the US). Without these ancillary systems, you have a very good chance of blinding oncoming traffic as the light output from these lamps is so incredibly high.

And I would expect a court summons if you are caught causing an accident by blinding someone.... They didn't make the rules for fun - they are there for the safety of others.

Unfortunately not, they are designed to look like a factory Xenon unit at one third the price and quality, kinda like a fake watch.

The only way to retro fit HID/Xenon is to install a factory set up, your car will need a new computer that can control the automatic adjusting headlamps, you will also need auto washers. Alow for say $2,500. Or buy a Lexus GS300 that has factory Xenon for around the same coin as a E39 B)

If you are dead set on keeping your illegal and quite frankly highly annoying headlights I would recommend mounting the HID units under/behind the front bumper so they can’t be seen, this will take a couple of hours but will keep it looking OEM if you carefull. I would then find a dodgy garage that won’t test them, plenty out there.

While you can hide the ballasts, anyone who sees the lamps start will immediately know they are Xenon. I think the beam setters also give an indication on the light intensity - so you might find they get picked up there as well.

Hi guys, did a search for this but couldnt find anything so sorry if its a repeated question. I recently bought an 01 e39 which has xenon headlights. I assumed they were stock but my mechanic informed me that they were aftermarket when I took it in for a service the other day. Anyway, long story short, went to get a warrant last week and they failed me because Ive got aftermarket headlights and say I have to change them. I really dont want to have to change to filament bulbs, I like the modern look of these lights especially with white angel eyes.

Is there any way that I can make them think that they're stock? Take the Japanese stickers off the ballasts? I would just change the bulbs for the warrant then change them back but I doubt my insurance will cover me with illegal headlights. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott.

What sort of quality were they? Where did you source them from? Did they give a specific reason for failure?. As per my post the adjustment threads on my E38 headlight is stuffed so want to fix that and upgrade the look.

mmmm, very interesting did the garage give you a reason why they failed. If like the hella Xenon's I fitted to my 02 530 you can not simple change the low beam bulbs as they have a different housing and bulb base to a halogen type, plus the Xenon bulbs are gas filled and reguire a high electrical discharge to ignite the gas inside them. As for the computer warning I think pre September 2001 did throw a warning about your lights as the computer scan of the circuit found no resistance, from the removed low beam bulbs. Yes the face lift model headlights do look a lot nicer than the pre just my opinion. Let us know how you resolve this.

Cheers Allan

Took it to VTNZ. The reason they've written is "Low beam headlight HID bulbs to comply -> Back to OE" Ive attached a couple of photos of my lights. The bulb base is rubber and moves. I dont know anything about lights and fittings etc. Am I going to be able to put standard bulbs in these? I take it ill need to remove the ballasts etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What sort of quality were they? Where did you source them from? Did they give a specific reason for failure?. As per my post the adjustment threads on my E38 headlight is stuffed so want to fix that and upgrade the look.

As far as i can tell the quality is all good, but I dont actually know what to look for. The adjusting motor works etc. I didnt put them on the car. Car is from Japan and they were put on there. I didnt even realise they were aftermarket until the other day. Just thought it was odd they had Japanese writing on the stickers.

post-5423-1279936882.jpg

post-5423-1279936895.jpg

post-5423-1279936909.jpg

That set up looks a little odd it looks like an a adaptor, grey piece has been fitted between the base unit and bulb holder could be wrong. Maybe if this is the case the bulbs are xenon/ HID but the reflector part is not the correct one just a thought. Could you take a photo of the bulb also. A look at my set up these are hella type units

post-1581-1279964768.gif

If you bought the car from a dealer, find out where the car was complied and who did the compliancing. Call the compliancing centre and get them to fax the compliancing report to you. If it passed compliancing, show vtnz. If it didn't and was sold to you, get dealer to fix lights.

Good luck.

If you bought the car from a dealer, find out where the car was complied and who did the compliancing. Call the compliancing centre and get them to fax the compliancing report to you. If it passed compliancing, show vtnz. If it didn't and was sold to you, get dealer to fix lights.

Good luck.

This ^

Shouldn't have got a warrant in the first place with those lights... get the dealer to cough up for replacements.

Weird. If it came from Japan like that it shouldnt have even got compliance with those in...

Yea thats what I said to them when they failed me. But apparently its a law thats only just come into effect. I think the easiest option is just going to be to change the bulbs. Any suggestions on the most Xenon looking legal bulb I can use is? I see so many cars driving around with aftermarket bulbs that look blue, I even saw one the other day that had a horrible green tinge to it, looks terrible. I want that clean white look with just a hint of blue, if that makes any sense. If I know nothing about lights etc, would you guys recommend taking it somewhere like BM Workshop and just paying to have the connections changed over or whatever it is that is actually required?

Yea thats what I said to them when they failed me. But apparently its a law thats only just come into effect. I think the easiest option is just going to be to change the bulbs. Any suggestions on the most Xenon looking legal bulb I can use is? I see so many cars driving around with aftermarket bulbs that look blue, I even saw one the other day that had a horrible green tinge to it, looks terrible. I want that clean white look with just a hint of blue, if that makes any sense. If I know nothing about lights etc, would you guys recommend taking it somewhere like BM Workshop and just paying to have the connections changed over or whatever it is that is actually required?

You cannot just change the bulb. The entire housing needs to be changed and its very expensive. The cheapest and correct method is to check your actual compliancing report. If it was complied with the lights, the local VTNZ should not fail you for the lights and you should have no further problems from any other WOF inspection.

If it failed the compliancing but was sold to you, the dealer is at fault for selling a non-compliant vehicle to you. (This I doubt).

Hence, give your dealer a call, telling them you've failed a WOF because of the headlights, ask them where the vehicle was complied OR call the LTSA with your VIN and get them to tell you where it was done. Call the compliancing station and get the report.

I'm pretty sure it passed compliancing. Armed with that piece of information, go to your WOF station, they should pass it.

Cheers.

You cannot just change the bulb. The entire housing needs to be changed and its very expensive. The cheapest and correct method is to check your actual compliancing report. If it was complied with the lights, the local VTNZ should not fail you for the lights and you should have no further problems from any other WOF inspection.

If it failed the compliancing but was sold to you, the dealer is at fault for selling a non-compliant vehicle to you. (This I doubt).

Hence, give your dealer a call, telling them you've failed a WOF because of the headlights, ask them where the vehicle was complied OR call the LTSA with your VIN and get them to tell you where it was done. Call the compliancing station and get the report.

I'm pretty sure it passed compliancing. Armed with that piece of information, go to your WOF station, they should pass it.

Cheers.

Wouldnt they just be able to say that I fitted them after the last compliance check? How could I prove it?

OK. So I've got this sorted now and for those that are interested, this is the deal.

It turns out that when it comes to insurance, if you can get a warrant, you're covered. Regardless of whether your lights are legal or not. Upon finding this out, I thought, "I know a place that will give me a warrant." Well...it turns out I don't. And I essentially paid $40 to get another 28 days to sort this out, haha. So in the end I had to take it to BM Workshop and get the bulb holders changed to fit standard bulbs. Cost me $129 for parts and labour. I'm sure it's an easy DIY job if you're technically minded but I don't know anything about this stuff.

Oh yea, did I say I ABSOLUTELY HATE MY NEW HEADLIGHTS!!! God dammit they're ugly! It pains me every time I turn the knob to low beams. You may think I'm a d*ck for caring so much about the colour temperature of my lights, but when it comes to cars I don't like modifications, I just like every tiny detail to be perfect. Each to their own I guess.

So that's the deal. Thanks to those that helped out.

Scott.

OK. So I've got this sorted now and for those that are interested, this is the deal.

It turns out that when it comes to insurance, if you can get a warrant, you're covered. Regardless of whether your lights are legal or not. Upon finding this out, I thought, "I know a place that will give me a warrant." Well...it turns out I don't. And I essentially paid $40 to get another 28 days to sort this out, haha. So in the end I had to take it to BM Workshop and get the bulb holders changed to fit standard bulbs. Cost me $129 for parts and labour. I'm sure it's an easy DIY job if you're technically minded but I don't know anything about this stuff.

Oh yea, did I say I ABSOLUTELY HATE MY NEW HEADLIGHTS!!! God dammit they're ugly! It pains me every time I turn the knob to low beams. You may think I'm a d*ck for caring so much about the colour temperature of my lights, but when it comes to cars I don't like modifications, I just like every tiny detail to be perfect. Each to their own I guess.

So that's the deal. Thanks to those that helped out.

Scott.

Nah I agree with you tenfold. Details are very important. In my old car I refused to use my fog lights because I was convinced the colour temperature wasnt the same at the headlights and it looked funny.

There are some bulbs I know of that will improve the look of the lights if your interested?

Nah I agree with you tenfold. Details are very important. In my old car I refused to use my fog lights because I was convinced the colour temperature wasnt the same at the headlights and it looked funny.

There are some bulbs I know of that will improve the look of the lights if your interested?

Yea what are they?