Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

Spitfire Update

It was a while ago that the family sold the Spitfire to Yan-Ming Gao ( Owner of North China Shipping Holdings co.) Some might remember the thread Here

I finally got some follow up on whats happening with it now..

He donated it to China Aviation Museum in Bejing where it is set up on display in such a discusting way. Its not even kept in a hanger and is covered with a net where it is subjected to some sexy acid rain that China gets.

Anyway here is a cool picture I found of it back in the 1970's and it in its current state now in China.

Thought some of you would like some follow up on how it all panned out, even though it is a bit disappointing, lets hope that display is tempory :)

post-29-1280369563.jpg

post-29-1280369708.jpg

Guest Simon*

I am pretty disappointed to see that also mate :(

That ^ (sitting out in the elements) is the job for a figreglass replica like they used to hang at teh gates of Air Force bases.

There's a book coming out now about the Spit that's been restored and flying around NZ currently - owned by Brendan can'trecalllastname.

It was here about a month ago with the RNZAF's field deployment at Napier. Such a sexy piece of kit and an amazing sounding aeroplane :)

Your family owned a motherf**king SPITFIRE!??

How much monies do you have boy?

You should have to pass an appreciation exam before you're allowed to buy things as awesome as a Spitfire.

Maintaining and preserving isnt a priority in China. Unfortunately, they are only starting to realise that historical things, like vintage buildings and historic sites, needs to be preserved, not rolled over and build new sh*t. I sure hope they start treating this Spitfire better. This isnt something you can just "get another one".

Edited by dubman

Googled the museum. Home to more than 200 aircraft, over 150 of which are outside in the elements where "No ropes, fences or information boards make these aircraft perfect for photographing". In other words, "we didn't do f**k all except park them there".

Your family owned a motherf**king SPITFIRE!??

How much monies do you have boy?

Enough to make it on the rich list I'm guessing.

His family owned & nurtured this piece of aviation history/art for some years & are due huge respect for all that entails.

I've seen it several times & it was AWESOME under their guardianship

A plane worth that much sitting out in that?

Was this the one that was on TradeMe for like millions and was on the news? If it is, that's utter BS.

It was here about a month ago with the RNZAF's field deployment at Napier. Such a sexy piece of kit and an amazing sounding aeroplane :)

Yeah, I was deployed on that camp at the time. I had no idea it was going to show up! Sounds 'real' compared to the little CT4's haha.

Such an amazing aircraft, its a pity about the one in China =/

Guest Simon*

Yeah, I was deployed on that camp at the time. I had no idea it was going to show up! Sounds 'real' compared to the little CT4's haha.

Such an amazing aircraft, its a pity about the one in China =/

Oh yeah? Didn't know you were in the blue mafia. What do you do? I used to drive CT4's. Before the "E" came along though :D

A plane worth that much sitting out in that?

Was this the one that was on TradeMe for like millions and was on the news? If it is, that's utter BS.

Yeah it was publicised on the news and was on Trade Me. I forget how much it was on there for but it finally sold for $2.8 mill.

It really is a shame that its not treated the best, I'd hate to go see it in person and what state its in now. Lots of hard work semi down the drain. Oh well.

Its an amazing plane either way and hopefully like as some have already touched on that you just cant get another one. Its rare even when they are for sale if at all.. Maybe one day when im grown up I can get one back in the family!

Edited by RJS

Oh yeah? Didn't know you were in the blue mafia. What do you do? I used to drive CT4's. Before the "E" came along though :D

Communications and Information Systems (CIS) Technician.. basically deal with the radios and computers..

What years were you in?

What did we have before the E? a bit before my time!

Sorry, dont mean to hijack the thread...