Sign in to follow this  
Guest numbersixteen16

E30 M42 Conversion

Guest numbersixteen16

Rather than spend $3000 buying a nissan engine, Ive decided to go with an M42. I have located one for $1350 with 100ks and just wanted to know how hard it is to put it in and if it will fit srtaightonto the M10 engine mounts and gearbox (5 speed). Also has anyone located a step by step guide on the internet?

I will also spend about $1500 trying to extract as much HP as possibe, whats your opinion on performance upgrades? One website said that something about the crank will fail at about 7200rpm? Is this right? I eventually want to be able to rev it up (hopefully) to 9000. I also heard the you can use an M47 crank to get extra displacement but what pistons will fit up to the con rods if I decide to bore it out. And will the m42 con rods fit to the m47 crank?

My final goal (in a few years time) would be 300hp with alot of weight reduction for time attack racing. For now I want a track hack with as close to 200hp as possible.

I 'll be reading this topic alot, I also want the best performance out of my m42!

sorry i cant help you with any of your questions though.

i would be surprised if you got 300hp out of a 1.8l 4 clyinder m42(even if you stroke it), but hey you never know! why not go the m10 turbo route? as im quite sure m42 and m10 mounts are different

Edited by ilovetheE30

wont bolt up to a m10 gearbox , you need the e36 box to suit but can bolt up to a m20 or m40 gearbox .

i have a few options if needed , also have a m44 1.9 crank and block etc if you want to stroke the m42 etc . or just buy a m44 1.9L from us ,.

cheers brent

Have been involved in a couple of M42/M44 hybrid builds lately. Come back and see me and I can give you some more pointers in the right direction.

Have some M42`s and M44`s with manual looms. Plenty of 1.9 cranks and headers etc. all at the lowest prices.

regards Ray

just putting together my m42 at the moment just got the block back from rebore,

fitting JE pitons,m50 rods,arp thru out etc

having to weld the head due to cracking as thy do,also fitting the m20 bearings on the thrust side but then aagin im turbing so push for a little more power than what your after.

! why not go the m10 turbo route?

I like that idea. I'm building a m10 turbo at the moment and it has been pretty cheap so far. A guy helped me out with a link to his one that he built and it was pretty surprising to see.